AntiVir 7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Ever since KAV 6 has started beta testing i dropped AntiVir 6. And even though i know version 7 has been beta testing for some time i didn't have time to play with it. ><

Now after reading how good Antivir has scored in the New On Demand test in Av - comparatives i decided to give it another try.

1. Interface has been redone. Although i wont say it is very good compare to other modren AV. But it is definately 10 times better then version 6.

2. No more update Lag screen as previously reported. Which is nice ^^

As many of you know i like to measure resource usage of progarms and especially AV. Antivir 6 was very light and version 7 is no different.
    Although i kept wondering why the memory usage doesn't drop / scale. As the working set has stay constant of 17mb.
    CPU resources usage are low as well.

After few days of usage i like the new version.
    Hopefully they will imporve the spyware detection, better resource manage management. And may be a web scanner..........

Oh... am i asking too much for a FREE product :)

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The free version doesn't have support for Adware/Spyware detection...

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Is this still a kind of riskware protection in AntiVir PE Classic 7?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wow, I really don´t like to see the name Avira and they still have not fixed the GUI! :cautious:

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

See in the AntiVir site, and check the features that you will have if you upgrade to the Premium, so you conclude that the Personal version doesn't have it... ;)

6. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Euh, whats wrong with the GUI, I think it's looking and working pretty well?

7. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Free AVG has an e-mail scanner but Antivir is better in AV-comp.

Is there anywhere a comparision between the free version Avast/Antivir/AVG + other freebiees? At AV-C we only see the pro versions in action.

Does free Antivir have the emailscanner? Does free Avast have the e-mail scanner.

Best Regards

8. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I would say, avast! Home Edition (free) is better than all free antivirus in this area, avast! Home has e-mail scanners (POP3/SMTP/IMAP/NNTP), real-time HTTP scanner, real-time network traffic scanner and other unique features.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well this has changed recently. There is no doubt that AntiVir has the most advanced scan engine among the freeware (and even some payable ones).
    But comparing between avast! and AntiVir i'd say avast! has way more features with a little lower detection rate, while AntiVir relies on pure detection force and lacks certain features and settings. So basically you have to decide what you prefere more.

10. Rivalen

So "pure detection power" does that mean - no email scanner on free Antivir.

I would have tried Avast a long time ago if I hadnot heard a lot about it slowing down my surfing and my system!? Q about Avast ; does it uninstall cleanly?

Best Regards

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yes, all 3 free antiviruses uninstall without any problems avast! even has cleaner in case if uninstaller goes bad (haven't happened but good to know you have an option).

With pure detection force i meant it may detect a bit more in general but may lack this and that (for example it will still detect attachements, but only when you save them and not right away when it checks the mail).

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Has avast got really 10percent less trojan detection than avg,and far worse than antivir.No wonder

13. Rivalen

Isnt it so that we will never know which freebee is the best based on these tests since its the payed versions that are tested and we dont know how much protection they take off when they give us the freebee - so maybe AVG is the best freebee anyway - with mailscanner and all.

14. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

If you have antivir and are really desperate for a mailscanner, you can always get ClamWin AV which is free and opensourced. It does not have an on access scanner so it won't conflict with antivir. However, it has an Outlook plugin that scans mail, so there you have your e-mail scanning still with the detection power of antivir to backup clamwin incase it misses anything(which it is prone to do :D )

Alphalutra1

15. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Too bad Clamwin does not have a plugin for Outlook Express!!!!

16. shek

shek Registered Member

Although the premium version of antivir was tested on av-comparatives, the test didn't include adware and spyware. you could find the testing methodology and the FAQ's from av-comparatives.org. So I think the on-demand test result would not be different, if the free version was used.

17. Purplexity

Purplexity Registered Member

This thread caught my eye as I'm downloading AntiVir 7.
    Free AntiVirus ratings ? ... well I just noted Avast! won...
    http://www.scawards.com/winners/2006.asp
    avast wins sc award
    I have tried AVG,... :( (No criticism just a personal preference which is the bottom line really. Trialling a Free AV is only way to judge what you want, as said above .)
    I'm Using ClamWin , Opensource program , good detection rate, but once detected it's up to you to figure how to get rid of the virus... Delete it ? :D O.K. bit of research on the net, but what do you expect for nothing.
    I've used Avast! home Edition for over a year, and I like it's broad protection. Web Scanner, Email scanner, Resident scanner, especially the Web scanner.
    User's choice due to what your happy with is the main thing!

SurfSafe :cool:

18. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Sorry to interrupt, but mentioning clamav with "good detection" in one sentence is absolutely incorrect. I'm sure IBK would agree that it would NEVER reach the minimum detection rate in his tests to deserve even being mentioned. It is abyssmally bad in terms of raw detection power compared to other AVs.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

ClamAV is good for ITW stuff, while they have certain "problems" with other malware. It's hard to keep up this way...

20. Rivalen

So which is a trustworthy AV-test?

AV-test realys a test from CHIP from 2005? I put Panda of some sort up top and free AVG second with Kaspersky 5 third. Antivir 7-8th something and Norton maybe 11th also NOD was far down.

So the question remains - which one comparasion to trust - and WHY this one over that one?

Best Regards

Might leave my extremly well functioning (not talking about detection rates) free AVG for free Antivir even without e-mail scanner and not adding Clamwin Outlook scanner (done that in the past - didnt feel safer).

21. iwod

iwod Registered Member

OK. After more usuage and testing i found out AntiVir does have memory optimazation in it after all. Just not as aggressive as other AV.

Now it is using less than 4Mb of Working Set with 55Mb VM.

VERY impressive.

Which Btw, put this into the same as F prot level except with more option and better GUI. Hope you all enjoy ^^.

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ FRug

I can´t stand horizontal scrollbars, it just looks ugly know what I mean. But overall I´m a bit disappointed in AntiVir 7 I think it uses way too much resources, especially when you compare it with KAV 6 which offers a lot more protection. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Someone knows if this version have the "Optimize scanning" (files already scanned by AMON will not be scanned again unless they have changed, the virus signature database has been updated or some other conditions have been fulfilled.) feature, like NOD32 and avast!?

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Um...... Way too much resources?

And btw keep in mind AntiVir is Free............

@VaMPiRiC_CRoW - this is the same as iswift in KAV. I am not sure on this one. But overall Antivir does have low I/O read count.

25. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I didn't refer KAV because they still hadn't released the final version v6.0...

Despite this, I think that the free version of AntiVir is very limited on features compared with avast!, for example...

For me, it's very difficult to suggest the AntiVir when I can have a better option!
    avast! has more the Web Shield, Internet Mail Shield, Network Shield, signatures for Adware/Spyware, much better support, better update engine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.