Antispyware needed ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sprongs, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprongs

sprongs Registered Member

I noticed that Nod 32 also has anti spyware listed in the program along with it`s anti virus. Question, if using Nod 32 is a separate anti spyware program need or is Nod 32 enough.
    Thank`s

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I would say it's fine, but it's completely up to you. I also have spybot S&D installed which is free but I haven't scanned with it in about a year.

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

What elapsed said

4. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

ESET NOD32 Antivirus provide you excellent protection against malwares (including spywares). if you want to have aditional/specific aditional anti-spyware protection it's ok. just remember not to have so many anti-malware/spyware system running at the same time.

i have myself running SPYBOTSD + ESET without any issues.

best regards@!

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I would recommend Prevx Edge, but i've read in other post that NOD 32 conflicts with Prevx Edge. I recently switched from NOD 32 to Avria so i don't know if NOD 32 really has compatibility issues with Prevx Edge. If they have fixed these supposed issues then i would definitely recommend Prevx Edge for extra protection. Prevx Edge is a top of the line Heuristics program. You may also want to look at HIPS programs, and Behavior Blockers depending on your level of knowledge. There are plenty of post on these types of of antimalware programs here on Wilders.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

no conflict at all on my end. as a general rule you have to take care if using more than one systems for the 'same task'.

7. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Nod32 works fine with PrevxEdge, the problems are that Nod32 will often give a FP for new versions of Prevx.

To the OP, I have found from experience that Nod32 on it's own does not fully protect a computer. You need additional malware protection & a product like PrevxEdge fits in very well.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

if like me you use nod because it's light and don't want a support program that uses more resources, use malwarebytes anti malware or super anti spyware (free editions) as stand alone scanners. they seem to clean up very well, both of them.

9. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I agree, MBAM is excellent. However PrevxEdge does work well with Nod & the 2 program's memory usage right now is:

Nod32: 34.8mb (2 processes)
    PrevxEdge: 6mb (2 processes)

That's pretty light to me! :)

10. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I use Superantispyware...

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Theoretically Nod32 should cover the whole spectrum of malware, in practice no AV will detect everything. Personally rather than adding antispyware programs which will inevitably take some of the resources and might create some conflicts, I would sandbox the browser, either partially or completely ( free example Sandboxie) or use a virtualizer (free example Returnil).

I use a virtualizer (Shadow Defender, not free) which also complements the AV, protecting from new viruses that haven't been analyzed yet. With this method I haven't had one single spyware object in more than three years (every month if you really want to be sure, you can scan your system with some of the antispyware mentioned in this thread, on demand).

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I use MBAM and NOD and my system always appears to be clean. MBAM never finds anything to report.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I have to agree on the recommendation to use some sort of virtual app such as Sandboxie. If your AV has spyware detection, you're off to a good start, and a virtual app will contain any threat to the sandbox. I have MBAM and Superantispyware on my machine, but truth be told I never scan with it nor have I even updated it in a while. It's a hassle to manually update every day, even if I remember to, and it just seems unnecessary to me anymore.

14. progress

progress Guest

I agree, no further AS tools necessary ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.