Antispyware/Malware or all in one product?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by thepunisher, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thepunisher

thepunisher Registered Member

Trying to find a good AV and Antispyware product. I know of NOD32 but I can't find the "blackspear" settings page any longer? Is that still valid?

What about a firewall behind my home nat router/wireless or in front of it? don't have money to buy a pc dedicated for that though, any ideas?

Also, the biggest question is what about spyware? is spysweeper or counterspy still good, any other products better? Been reading on here for hours this week and just haven't come out with anything yet on this topic?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

HAve a look at the all in one products A2 Malware (with Ikarus AV and MAmutu IDS) and SPyware Doctor (with VirusBusterAV now, but will be Norton in feature and the option to download add ins like behavioral guard = ThretFire).

Router with NAT/FW is a decent solution, Router with NAT only and default Windows/Vista FW is also suffucient when you are not infected with infection fear :D

3. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

Re: av + antispyware/malware or all in one?

blackspear setting : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197509
    dont need more firewall if you behind a router except you want additional protection for outgoing traffic

todays AV already include spyware detection but if you want you can always have aditional protection layer. i use superantispyware.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For as far as I know NOD32 isn't very good at handling spyware (although I have no idea what the 'blackspear settings' do).
    Most other 'antivirus' programs are much better at handling spyware.

About the Spy Sweeper: the latest version is quite different from older versions (I'm still using 5.5.7), many people have problems with it and Webroot's privacy policy is just bad. Especially when you use the default install, then you may (or may not) get the ask.com toolbar which 'nicely' collects personal data, and you become a 'member' of a network that sends data to Webroot :rolleyes:

Counterspy is currently at version 3 (name is the same but the program is very different) which means that you probably can't use it for real-time protection if you have an antivirus program !

Of course you could try VIPRE (of which Counterspy is said to be a subset), it's an integrated antimalware (antivirus+antispyware) program. But I haven't seen any good comparative reviews.

A few suggestions: it certainly can't hurt to have a software firewall, especially since the firewalls of some routers aren't very good. For the router: it's recommended not to use a default password and to configure it to be not accessible from the internet. And make sure that you use good wireless encryption, WEP won't cut it.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

FWIW- I am running Nod32 version 2.7 alongside SuperAntiSpyware paid version and have been for a couple years now. I have never had even a hiccup between the two.

6. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

If it's a single app that you're looking for that can handle just about anything that's thrown at it (viruses, trojans, worms, etc.), check into Avira's AntiVir Premium.

7. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Kaspersky Anti-virus 2009 is one you should look at for decent protection against malware. I like Kaspersky because it's an install and forget type of software.

Also worth considering and products I have tried...

Norton Anti-virus 2009 - fantastic product and light on resources
    PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I recommend avast! antivirus Home Edition or Professional for all-inclusive and comprehensive protection. It includes anti-spyware protection and anti-rootkit protection.

I also recommend MalwareBytes Anti-Malware for exceptional on-access or on-demand protection.

These programs, in conjunction with something like GeSWall, will help put you in a secure environment... as long as "you are not infected with infection fear", as Kees1958 so aptly described it! :D

9. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

10. thepunisher

Thx!! long time reader, newer to locking down the house :)

So I want security, I have a great DLINK router that does NAT, and also should I use the default NAT settings or change that?

As for malware I am fine using a 2nd product but what is good? I am not sure where to go to add something to my corporate machine which I have to run SOPHOS on, and then at home we get free McAfee AV from our internet provider, so is that worth it or should I buy my own?

I also am not sure about a software firewall? I hate the windows fw, just not great....

11. thepunisher

Re: Malware/antispy all in one or separate? image/vm programs?

I do have to run corp av software on my laptop and at home I am not tied to anything. So it might make sense to buy a separate malware program and then something for av at home.

suggestions for av?

I also want to image and then do vm's, any suggestions for both programs?

it seems acronis is popular here but more people seem to be going to drivesnapshot, but I know acronis 11 let's you convert into vmware and haven't seen if drivesnap will do that. what are the biggest differences?

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

For av's: NOD32, F-PROT, Avira, Dr.Web

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.