antispyware freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bruce1Wayne7, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce1Wayne7

Bruce1Wayne7 Registered Member

i was wondering how many as programs do i need instaled
    as of right now i have avg antispyware and SUPERantispyware

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Use Spyware Terminator for your real-time protection...

3. Bruce1Wayne7

so i dont need the avg as and superantispyware

sorry im new to all this

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You need them for on-demand scanner, to complement your protection and detection level... ;)

5. Bruce1Wayne7

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The demand scanners only use the room on the disk they occupy, + a little bit of resource from the service they install, so it's not a bad idea to keep all three, and maybe even add one, I'd recommend A2 for an additional demand scanner. SpywareTerminator has a HIPS feature which should prevent anything unknown trying to run.Takes a little bit of learning to use.
    I use p2p and have found the protection good. A2, AVG AS, and (I think)SAS have context menu scanning, which is very useful to scan a single file (as is the case when downloading from a file sharing application). (Right click on the file , "Scan with..." )
    The idea of having multiple scanners is that one might catch something another might miss on any particular day. They all have different malware definitions, but probably with a lot of overlap, so it's not an especially efficient way to protect your system, but it's a good start. Plus if you do get anything nasty, you have all that resource available to help clean it.

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I never found the need for a real-time AS. When I switched from IE to firefox and k-meleon, I only ran on-demand scanners (A2 and SAS) and they never found anything. And while I try to be an aware surfer, I can not be considered a safe surfer. Imho, the protection real-time AS's offer is not worth the performance hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.