antispyware freeware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bruce1Wayne7, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce1Wayne7

Bruce1Wayne7 Registered Member

i was wondering how many as programs do i need instaled
    as of right now i have avg antispyware and SUPERantispyware

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Use Spyware Terminator for your real-time protection...

3. Bruce1Wayne7

so i dont need the avg as and superantispyware

sorry im new to all this

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You need them for on-demand scanner, to complement your protection and detection level... ;)

5. Bruce1Wayne7

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The demand scanners only use the room on the disk they occupy, + a little bit of resource from the service they install, so it's not a bad idea to keep all three, and maybe even add one, I'd recommend A2 for an additional demand scanner. SpywareTerminator has a HIPS feature which should prevent anything unknown trying to run.Takes a little bit of learning to use.
    I use p2p and have found the protection good. A2, AVG AS, and (I think)SAS have context menu scanning, which is very useful to scan a single file (as is the case when downloading from a file sharing application). (Right click on the file , "Scan with..." )
    The idea of having multiple scanners is that one might catch something another might miss on any particular day. They all have different malware definitions, but probably with a lot of overlap, so it's not an especially efficient way to protect your system, but it's a good start. Plus if you do get anything nasty, you have all that resource available to help clean it.

7. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I never found the need for a real-time AS. When I switched from IE to firefox and k-meleon, I only ran on-demand scanners (A2 and SAS) and they never found anything. And while I try to be an aware surfer, I can not be considered a safe surfer. Imho, the protection real-time AS's offer is not worth the performance hit.