"Antispy" settings

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by redwolfe_98, Jul 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

when installing ewido 4, does ewido automatically adjust any of the settings in "tools"/"antispy" without asking the user? i noticed that some of the settings there were already checked..

2. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

Re: "antispy"

Hi redwolfe! I think only a couple of the "antispy" tools are checked by default. Disabling the Windows Messenger Service is one of them. That's a known risk and is the service is generally only used on a corporate network. If you are using the personal version of Ewido, this would make sense. Also, I believe that show known file extensions is also checked by default. The rest have to be deliberately chosen by the user.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There are 7 of 26 settings already checked by defualt upon install. You also have the option to resort back to the default "recommended settings" by selecting Reset in the bottom right next to Apply Settings with the "tools"/"antispy" section open.

4. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Thanks for info, Bubba.
    I have 11 settings checked, because of tweaking some of the settings before installing Ewido. What I really miss is an overview of what the different settings really do.

Some are obvious, others are definitely not, and the manual says very little about this as far as I can see. Are the 7 set by default taking effect without we doing anything? Which one are they? Do you know about an overview about what the different settings really do? What if you already have tweaked in another way than the default?

I have all the time assumed that what was checked, is what is the current state of that option, e.g. disable time-sync service is checked here because I earlier have disabled that service.

Please enlighten us. :)

Regards
    ericfr

Edit: By pressing reset here nothing happens at all with my 11 already checked, and apply continues to be greyed out.

I also tried to disable Win error reporting, and apply. I then had 12 checkmarks. Pressing reset, and then apply I got back to my original 11.
    (have never changed anything here before this little try. :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....well the below settings is what mine default back to after checking all items....Apply Settings....and then Reset.

Attached Files:

6. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

I only had the two about disabling the Windows Messenger Service and show known file extensions shown as default. I believe Ewido is reading the settings that we already have in place upon installation and setting that as our individual baseline. None of the tweaks regarding Windows Media Player were checked when I installed Ewido.

7. HelpFromFrance

HelpFromFrance Registered Member

Interesting thread, guys. Made me look :cool: closer at "tools. I noticed a small check mark at the bottom that says "show only recommended settings". I unchecked that and it opens a whole new world that could maybe be dangerous for a noivce. Here is a screen shot. I did not dare change any of these.

Have a good day,
    HelpFromFrance

Attached Files:

8. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

There is definitely something odd that needs to be worked out here.
    Bubba has, when forgetting the expert checkmark that HFF mentioned, 36
    possible checkmarks. I have 40 instead.

One more under Error Reporting maingroup.
    And a new maingroup under that named Internet Explorer with 3 possible checkmarks that Bubba doesn't . Thererfore mine 40 against his 36 possible checkmarks. And I have not looked at the wordings.

All mine under Mediaplayer are set because I have tweaked them before installing Ewido.

With one exception:'Allow removing MP', which is not possible to tweak easily without hacking the registry.

But something needs clarification here.

I think OldRebel is right in his assumption about individual baselines.

But, to sort it all out, what about an answer to clarify all this from the Ewido guys?
    Thanks in advance.

Regards
    ericfr

Edit: I think all the findings reported here support the theory about individual baselines. We will see. What needs to be seen is if that baseline is dynamic or not.
    With dynamic I mean changing a setting from outside Ewido, and see if Ewido adjusts its baseline after the new 'system setting'. :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  9. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The settings and how much are available is depending on your operating systems, installed prodcuts and so on. Mainly it depends on the registry settings.

BR

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Yep and just to clarify....I have 26 settings not 36 recommended settings ;)

OS=XP SP2

11. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Sorry, Bubba, My misspelling. :(

It should read : " you have 26 possible and I have 30 possible checkmarks." :)

But the whole thread is a bit confusing, ewen without my misspelling. ;)

I think I will tweak my system by other methods than through Ewido, anyway.
    :)

Best regards
    ericfr

Edit: XP SP2 here,too.

12. Get

Get Guest

Use xp-AntiSpy . I prefer the packed zip archive without installer btw.

13. ericfr

ericfr Registered Member

Got it, Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.