anti-virus Webscanner & Realtime protection necessary?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nmaynan, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

I'm playing with the idea of turning off the Avast Webscanner & Realtime protection. I would be making use of the Sandbox, on-demand scans, and good ole safe computing behavior.

I was wondering what you guys think of this? My main focus is on the Webscanner. Do you guys feel this module is necessary? Does it prevent infections? It seems like if it protects you from infection by simply visiting a website it would be helpful. But it's not finding zero-day, only known threats and as soon as it's discovered the site is going to neutralize it anyways, right?

Hoping to hear your thoughts and discussion.

2. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Wrong, it uses the whole arsenal to detect and block both known and unknown threats.

And the hijacked sites usually don't "neutralize" anything, i.e. it typically takes very long time before site owners react and clean their sites up, when infected.

Thanks
    Vlk

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll never understand ppl disablin real-time scanning. It's like turning off airbags in a car saying that you'll drive carefully. This especially applies for file infectors where you just can't tell which is infected and which is not. These are not the most wide spread type of malware but still they exist.

4. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Try out one of these two DNS services:

http://www.clearclouddns.com/

http://nortondns.com/

Having a 3rd party DNS server block out the majority of malicious websites reduces the need for a good web scanner since they'll block access to the websites completely based on virus detection signatures.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd say that if you're running with Avast only, your idea is risky. If you have other layers (e.g. Sandboxie, DefenseWall, Shadow Defender) then you could probably do it without compromising your computer security and gaining some speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.