Anti-Virus | Panda Platinum Internet Security 8.00[20-2-04]

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NICK ADSL UK, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

he new Panda Platinum Internet Security detects and eliminates all type of viruses while you send or receive mail, unloading archives or works in Internet.Panda Platinum Internet Security detects and eliminates viruses, worms, trojans, dialers, hacking tools, jokes. It is very simple to use and includes fast, automatic, daily updates.
    FOR FURTHER INFO
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1110.html

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/platinum_is/

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

That's sure nice advertising - but after a short tryout I'm not that impressed ;).

regards.

paul

4. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hi Paul!

I was thinking exact the same!

Nice free advertisement for Panda!

But like you already noticed, not very impressing....

Have tried the software last night and today, but it was a waste of my valuable time. :rolleyes:

Ciao,

Smokey

5. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Hi Smokey.

Could you please give your reasons as to why using Panda was a waste of your valuable time.

Thanks.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Re:Anti-Virus | Panda Platinum Internet Security 8.00[20-2-04]

Problems with email-scanning, detection rates, scan-options, general options, etc. etc.

Is for sure a good program for the newbie but nothing for people who are expecting some more.

Besides that, an integrated AV/Firewall is mostly not a succes.

For the same money you can buy more professional security software ;)

Ciao,

Smokey

7. Paul Wilders

Smokey,

For the record: I'm not bashing Panda here. It did fail as for detection rates more then We've expected (merely a limited test). Then again: I do agree there's far better sortalike software available ;)

regards.

paul

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

There are for sure a lot of people which are very satisfied with Panda, and that's o.k.

For people like you and me Panda is not doing the job in a "proper" way, but I know for others it is a good piece of software.

It is a matter of view: what do you want/expect from security software?

I am only satisfied which the best under the best, but such programs are most of the time to complicated for the "normal" user, and that's the reason they fall back to "easy" programs.
    In that case Panda is a good solution for them!

I (and you) are expecting more from security software, and that's the reasom we normally don't can and/or will advice to use f.e. Panda, but when we have to do with a "novice" user I think Panda is a better choice then a so called top-notch AV and/or Firewall.

Ciao,

Smokey

9. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

AFAIK licenced from Sygate. Cant be that bad- or o_O o_O

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

The Panda firewall in platinum is from Sygate, but I can't determine which version. The entire GUI is Panda. I guess Panda licensed Sygate's technology and built their own GUI over it. So far, in the few weeks of using Panda Platinum, I'm quite happy with it and its antivirus abilities. The firewall too is doing its job. Being Sygate based, I expected nothing less.

11. Paul Wilders

Gents,

As long as you are happy campers using Panda all is just fine ;). My remarks do stand though.

regards.

paul

12. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Confirms exactly what I am trying to tell: an integrated AV/Firewall is mostly not a very good combination/product.

Reason: AV and/OR FW is not functionating very well.....

BTW, some remarks about Sygate FW: the Pro-version is a good (top-notch) product, the standard-edition not ;)

Ciao,

Smokey

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

:D

14. Paul Wilders

Smokey, the above comes with it ;) No sarcasm here.

regards,

paul

15. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

In my mind those who underestimates Panda have missed the point when they think that Panda is only an average AV. Look at my links and you understand the real strength of Panda.

www.checkvir.com/index.php?CN=3.3.14.5&CIE=0

www.checkvir.com/index.php?CN=3.3.14.2&CIE=0

www.checkvir.com/index.php?CN=3.3.14.10&CIE=0

Panda is in the first class as disinfections, that's why I'm using Panda Platinum 7 as my backup to DrWeb 4.31a.

"The truth is out there, bu it hurts!"

Best regards
    Firefighter!

16. Tony

Tony Registered Member

If your not impressed Paul, then why give Panda 4 stars ot of 5??

o_O

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

3.5 out of 5 and thats about right. ;)

tECHNODROME

18. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Yesterday it had 4 out of 5
    today 3.5 out of 5

;)
    Thats about right lol

19. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Well sometimes (when time permits) Wilders.org team retests AVs. Ratings for some AVs could be downgraded, upgraded or stay the same.

tECHNODROME

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have not been useing panda platinum 7 for very long but it runs well on my machine and that is a big plus for most av's I have used panda platinum 6 in the past for a considerable amount of time an I never once had any malware get by it and version 7 is quite a bit better than version 6. Version 6 was pretty hard on resources where as version 7 is pretty light. It scans my system as fast as f-prot did and it was fairly fast. I understand that a lot of people don't like panda but it is that way with all av's. Not to mention any product by name but one of the most popular av's discused on this forums in my opinion is way over hyped I have used it and had install problems and file scanning lockup issues and update problems. But I would not go as far as to say it is not a good av, it is just not good for what I need. In the past umteen years panda and mcafee that get bad mouthed quite a bit here are the only two antivirus products I have used that have not had any serious issues with use. It just all depends on what works for you. ;)

21. visitor

visitor Guest

What interests me about Panda Platinum are the claims of spyware, trojan, and spam protection in addition to standard virus protection. Can any users comment on how well it actually works in these other areas? Is it at all comparable to AdAware Pro in the spyware department, or TDS in the trojan department, or are Panda's claims baseless? I'd like to think someone is actually trying to integrate spyware/trojan/virus protection into one runtime scanner; it really seems inefficient having 3 separate programs all doing overlapping jobs. Add in spam blocking and a Sygate firewall, and the $80 price tag begins to not look so bad, that is, if it actually does a decent job with spyware and trojans. By any chance does it have pop-up, banner ad, or cookie blocking to boot?

A friend's laptop has a McAfee subscription that's going to run out in the next month or two, and she needs all of the above protections in a simple package as safe hex is never going to be in her vocabulary, any comments or pointers to comparisons (are there any "respected" spyware protector comparisons?) are much appreciated...

22. Paul Wilders

Confirmed: bad trojan detection in comparison with dedicated antitrojans like for example TDS. Same goes for dailers. Spyware: not tested.

Even for someone withour extensive knowledge, running/updating Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpywareGuard/Blaster isn't that hard to do. Same goes for a dedicated antitrojan. Apart from that, layered defense eg not putting all eggs in just one basket is by far the best way to protect a system ;)

regards.

paul

23. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

What does it mean "bad detection" of trojans? I found this links

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=705

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9404649~mode=flat

Do you think the results are correct? If you think so I think that the program shouldn' t be blamed soo much, even if there isn't a good detection of dialers.

Regards

24. visitor

visitor Guest

25. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Some things changed here whilst I was away, someone posts a serious query that they expected to be replied by those with knowledge and experience. It seems a couple of respected users to me have had their mantle slip. Replies mocking a companies product, with silly one post 'smilies' and trying so very hard to be noticed is not the sort of responses that help out the originating poster.

If one has experience of a product then they can relay personal findings, whether in favour or not, but one nights use hardly qualifies the author to give an extensive review.

Dont take this as an attack or a personal insult, just my view, or my '2 cents'

:)
    Kev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.