Anti-Virus and Outlook Issues

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SSri09, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSri09

SSri09 Registered Member

My workstation runs a 64-bit Win7 Ultimate, a win7 firewall, an MBAM Pro and a free trial of Zemana Antilogger. I switched from MSE to Avast, which did not allow me to use any online backup. I listed the online backup executables in the exceptions list of both the MBAM Pro and the AVAST without any success. I switched from MSE as it let it through some nasty infection about 9 months back. Since cleaning them, I have added the MBAM pro and a Sandboxie.

The Bitdefender was one choice but it created pretty serious conflicts between itself, MBAM pro and online backup. Adding exceptions did not help.

I have now switched to a free trial of Kaspersky AV 2013 in the last 24 hours. The system does take a while to boot and load the KAV. The updates slow down the system a bit without a significant drag on multi-tasking. The browser and pages take ages to load! The main problem is the outlook, which has stopped sending and receiving emails (pop3 or IMAP). I removed the outlook add-ins from the KAV settings, the outlook and reset the registry of the outlook add-ins. A reboot did not address the problem. Nothing has changed in the settings (Firewall and outlook accounts between yesterday and today). I repaired and re-create the outlook accounts in vain. I think some things stays hidden as far as the KAV outlook email scan is concerned.

I want to get rid of KAV and re-install MSE hoping the MBAM pro, Zemana, Sandboxie and safe browsing would more than compensate the MSE's weaknesses.

I thought of moving to a paid AV as I would be trading stocks and forex.

I would appreciate any recommendations/suggestions.

Thanks

2. SSri09

SSri09 Registered Member

An update on Kaspersky and Outlook emails.

I added a Firewall exception to let KAV access ports 110/25 for emails besides re-setting the KAV outlook add-ins in the registry from the default 3 to 0 or 2. The dlls do get loaded even if they are disabled on the KAV settings or the outlook; hence a registry fix and a re-boot should fix the problem. Outlook has started receiving/sending e-mails.

It is a temp fix. I am not sure if Kaspersky would address this bug on the current and future releases. In the mean time, I am going to continue the free trial, although I am not happy with the slow browser, despite their profiles sitting on the RAMDisk. Another problem is the Google Sync, which gets disconnected all the time since the KAV 2013 was installed!

I do not mind going paid AV but not sure if this is the correct choice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. Anth-Unit

Anth-Unit Registered Member

I think you'd be fine with that setup if you're having comparability issues with the other programs. I'd add adblock to that list, as it tends to block the infected advertisements vector. If you're using a third party browser like firefox or chrome, you're golden. If you keep your software up to date, and you don't open random files on the internet, I don't even think you really need an antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.