Anti-vir Antivirus Software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by musicman, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicman

musicman Registered Member

With all the different antivirus softwares on the web today I am sure there is one to suite one's needs. Like many members I am sure have tested and tried out numerous antivirus softwares. I have found to my taste anti vir is a very sensible and no nonsense software, it gets the job done! LIght on resouces, fast engine scan and detection rate is good
    Perhaps you will find it interesting, that there is a new AntiVir Product
    for private Users: The AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium.
    It is an extended version of the free of charge AntiVir PersonalEdition
    Classic and offers some additional features like a Pop3 scanner or the
    possibility of fully automated updates. Within a short time the Premium
    Version will also be available in English.
    www.free=av.de
    http://www.free-av.de/

2. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) My opinion of AntiVir/PE is well known around these parts.

This would be a good program for those with older machines and limited memory capabilities. The updater on the other hand is abysmal, an if one is using dial-up they can expect a long period of time to accomplish a down load. The file servers for the English version are known to be slow and some times flat not available. It also appears as if automatic updating is not available.

If one has a newer machine and memory is not limited, AVG may be the better choice. It is easy to use and the down loads are quick. The knock is that it has been known to be a memory hog.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :p :D :eek: :rolleyes:

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I use Task Manager to automatically update AntiVir-PE Classic. On broadband, daily signatures update at blazing speed during 1am - 430am Germany time. Light on resources. Strong heuristics. Very frequent updates to signatures and engines. Great protection.

Bonus -- two excellent support forums.

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Looks interesting, but is so....well from another planet. I think it is the Germany that gets to me. I know there is english button. I just can not get over the panick that sets in when I see another language. :eek: stupid me I guess cause it would likely work well on my old Compaq. :rolleyes:

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

AntiVir-PE classic is in English. AVPE's home site is also in English. Just go HERE, then click the download button & you're good to go.

The CC support forum for AVPE, located HERE is also in English. If you prefer, you can download AntiVir-PE from CC by going to THIS page.

As for working well on your old Compaq - AVPE works on old computers, new computers, slow computers, fast computers -- all equally well. However, you do need broadband for the large signature downloads. No 2-ways about that.

6. waters

waters Registered Member

I must do something wrong with this one.
    I have tried it a few times and i do notice a slowdown.
    Only 2 times have i seen computer really crawl and thats playing doom when anti vir was installed ,and another time with f secure installed.

7. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:D You are not talking about the FREE version are you?

The better of the forums for AntiVir by far is Castle Cops, the H+BEDV forum has quiet a bit of German instructions to be able to utilize it. Asking for English options at that forum have been totally ignored to this point, an don't think individuals have not asked for them.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :eek: :D :p :) :rolleyes:

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Doom 3 extracts the engine files from compressed files while running. As this is an "on-the-fly" operation, the real time scanners tend to scan the 500MB+ compressed files while the game is still running, therefore causing a slowdown.

So far, I have seen this only in ArcaVir (if I enable real time archive scanning).

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thank You Sir! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.