Anti-theft phantom account problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Thyme Lawn, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thyme Lawn

Thyme Lawn Registered Member

My laptop exists on 2 domains, work and local. The policy pushed from work makes that the default domain and the local domain has to be specified to login as a local user.

Obviously I couldn't create an anti-theft phantom user on the work domain, but anti-theft configuration on my.eset.com won't allow me to set a local user as the phantom login because the \ between the domain and user names is in the set of invalid characters.

Is there any way to resolve this?

2. BellaBoo

BellaBoo Registered Member

hello thyme lawn [excellent name btw] and i hope i can be helpful :)

from what you say, you have one machine [with 2 personalities] --- the anti-theft facility [from what i understand] applies to the one machine [my machine has 2 personalities also], but the machine itself is but one thing with one name!

so, if your machine is called XXX [in fact and if i recall correctly, 'my.eset.com' automatically detects that information], it is machine XXX that you register, not the individual domains.

therefore, you register your machine [XXX] and you provide a 'phantom account name' [say, YYY]. that account [YYY] will then appear on your login desktop, along with your other domain account profiles.

you need to password protect access to your domain profiles but from what i can tell, password access to the phantom account is not required [it's all part of the trickery i expect].

NOTE: account YYY is set up on your desktop *remotely* via your 'my.eset.com' account --- there is no requirement for you to set privileges or deny access rights to that account on your machine because the anti-theft facility via your 'my.eset.com' account does that automatically; it really is a beautiful thing :)

beyond that, i'm still learning and trying to understand the extent to which anti-theft works for me now and in the event that my machine is stolen.

i hope i've understood you correctly and if so, i hope i've been able to provide you with an appropriate answer.

in any event, good luck :)

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

V6 Home Edition was not tested in a domain environment as it's intended only for home users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.