Anti-Spyware Help

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

could someone give me some suggestions on low impact antispyware?

something that has good realtime protection and/or on-demand scanner?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Trail AVG Antispyware (former Ewido) or A2 Antimalware (With IDS runs very light) and then decide which to buy.

Avast free by the way is the only free AntiVirus with its Antispyware module/blacklist included. So when you do not have a Antivirus bought yet, try

Avast home free + ThreatFire free (out of the box)

regards K

3. firzen771

i have Kaspersky for my AV and firewall, juts looking for a standalone antispyware. one with good real time protection, yet light on system and good detection

4. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware

5. firzen771

ive heard it has good detection rates, and ive been using it for on-demand, but hows its real time protection? and how light is it, maybe somebody who uses it in realtime can answer?

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used it realtime, and did not find it had any impact on my system. My complaint is that it takes about a minute to stabilize after starting it. Until it does the computer is frozen, and I find that annoying. As a result I am using AVGAS in realtime.

I suspect SAS is the best of the AS applications. Nick does an outstanding job of support.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Which Shield in Avast actually covers the Spyware protection? Thanks.

8. firzen771

well ive narrowed it down to a-squared and SAS for my real-time AS, could somebody compare the 2 for me, pros and cons of each?

*EDIT*

i just installed the trial, my comp boots up fine, but SAS seems to be taking up about 24k or so with only 1 process, a-squared though has 3 processes which in total take up about 45k

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I thought Kaspersky AV also offers spyware protection? I know the old AOL Active Virus Shield did, and it was based on Kaspersky.

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

A lot of people suggest SAS for a back-up scanner with a good record for cleaning...

Whichever ones you use...they all use the same defs...but I bet you would've figured that out yourself.

11. firzen771

yes ive heard that aswell, but id really like to know how effective its real-time protection is, because it uses much less resources than a-squared does....

the only pro that ive noticed from a-squared is that its scan times are much faster than SAS

12. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Do you already use any HIPS or behaviour-blockerso_O

13. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Quit picking on my 19monty64. LOL. firzen771. I have read in here that a-squared's IDS is as formidable as ThreatFire for RealTime Behavior like protection. Plus it also uses Heuristics and one of the largest signature bases for Real Time protection. I used the trial version and it is a very nice program. I like SAS and use it for on demand, but if the price doesn't bother you a-squared would be my choice. However there is also Ashampoo AS 2, which I believe may now be a-squared Anti-Malware 3.0.

14. firzen771

ok, id go with a-squared, but i do game quite a bit, and prefer to leave my protection on while gaming, so im looking for the lowest system impact AS? and one doesn't nag too much for permission.... my AV does enough of that.......... im open to almost all suggestions?

15. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Are you sure Kaspersky AV doesn't also protect against spyware? As far as a-squared is concerned. It may seem a little high in memory usage, but it produces no noticeable PC slowdowns. Also if you check their forum you will find very few problems.

16. firzen771

Kaspersky does protect against spyware, but not as good as a standalone AS is, and i know a-squared is good, but low resource usage is a pretty important to me

17. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

And what would be the basis of that statement?

18. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I have read reliably that Kaspersky's AS is very good, and also that Zone Alarm Anti-Spyware is based on it, but I guess you could be right. solcroft your opinion? I just know you want to give it. LOL.

19. firzen771

im not saying facts, just that how often do u see an AV that has an AS as good as some other standalone ones? and anyways im still looking for suggestions on some of the lowest footprint AS?

20. solcroft

Then it would be helpful to make it clear that you were stating a baseless opinion.

All the time, actually. I haven't carried out scientific tests, but I see plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that Avira and Kaspersky are no worse off than Spyware Doctor or Ewido. Trojan detections are also definitely in favor of the AV apps.

21. firzen771

ok now that ur happy, can we get back to the topic, suggestions on low resource usage AS?

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use KIS 7, and also run an AS full time much of the time. I don't know how the various ones stack up, but it seems to be a universal opinion that no one application catches 100% of malware.
    Accordingly, if there is no conflict or significant slowdown, use of a good AS in addition to a good AV might prevent an infection.

In reality, it probably does no good, as I have never had an AS application find anything except traces or cookies. In addition, the few times that a trojan or virus has attempted access to my computer the AV has been the "first responder."

But I use one anyway.o_O

Regards,
    Jerry

23. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I use Avast Home AV which has some spyware detection as well. For this reason I am thinking of adding CBOClean which is said to be a good and effective program. It isn't an Antispyware, but it is considered an Antimalware which works in RealTime by checking for malware in memory. I'm hoping it is a "Memory Finding Malware Machine". Or as I like to call it. A MFMM. LOL. It's also said to have no impact on your system.

24. solcroft

Personally, I wish there was some authoritative, technical FAQ on what BOClean is and what it does. All the Comodo page says about it, using a lot of fancy buzzwords, is that it "catches zero day malware" and "complements your antivirus", but I'm still not exactly sure how and why.

As it is, I don't trust what I don't understand, so I'm staying away from it for now.

25. firzen771

ok thats cool and all, but this thread is not about CBOclean, stick to the topic, plz, thx.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.