Anti-Spyware Capabilities

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by consultant, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. consultant

consultant Registered Member

Nod32 is pretty widely accepted as one of the better anti-virus programs.

I see now in V 3 there is anti-spyware capabilities built in now? A couple fof questions:

1) If all I'm concerned about is spyware from websites and e-mails/attachments, do I need the On Access File Scanner enabled still or can I turn it off?

2) There's alots of reviews on anti-spyware. I can't find a single one regarding Nod32's anti-spyware capabilities. Does anyone have a general idea how well it stacks up agains Microsofts free Defender software? The reason I ask is I have both running on my machine and I HATE running unecessary software. I know nothing is 100% effective, but I'm not one of these paranoid types and prefer to take the extra 3% risk or whatever by not having redundant software running. My guess is that if Nod32 anti-spyware functionality is even close as good to it's anti-virus, then Defender is unecessary.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

ESET NOD32 is anti threat system . Not only v3 but v2 also can detect and remove spyware . Antispyware support has been added long time ago with v2.50

No - simply because NOD32 has combined all of its modules into one single kernel (called ekrn.exe) . This kernel performs the scans for all modules , it acts like a proxy , pretty much it does everything . Unlikely other programs , there are no antivirus or antispyware modules , they are not different here . What will happen if you uncheck detection for spy/ad malware is that the program will not detect such things with its real-time file system module , it will not hurry up your computer.

Well , there are some tests, look closer . One example is this one ( a kind of recent one)
    http://blog.chip.de/0-security-blog/maerz-2008er-security-suiten-im-vergleich-20080310/
    Ad-/Spyware (On-Demand)
    Nod32 (Eset) + 96.33%

But tests are tests , reality is different . ESET NOD32 is very good when it comes to all kind of threats

3. consultant

consultant Registered Member

Well (after translating to english) it shows Nod32 beats Microsoft in spyware recognition (and virus). While it's not the top 5, all things considered (especially how light it is on system resources), I can feel confident I have a solid choice for both anti-virus and anti-spyware, aka anti-threat.

4. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Basically corresponds to the test recently done by the Av-Comparatives, this shows that the test is true and that NOD32 maintains their normal match.

5. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Not in top 5 but...... to got a ++ it needs 98%

Akarus ++ 97.98%
    NOD32 + 97.85%

Nod is not far away from the top ! Just 0.15% or little more.....:p

6. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

please tell where you got this new's "While it's not the top 5" o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.