Anti SPAM module ineffective

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by wamattox, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wamattox

wamattox Registered Member

My company is experiencing poor performance of the Anti SPAM module varying from fairly ineffective (50%) to very ineffective (90%). 15 workstations ESET SS 3.0.566.0 WXP SP3 external mail server. Reloading ESET does not help.

I have attempted contacting support multiple times and never have any response. One attempt to reach an executive gleaned a referral to another party that never responded. It's renewal time and I seriously wonder...

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I'm not sure why you didn't hear back from anyone at ESET, but let's see if we can get the antispam issue resolved.

From your description, it appears you are running an older version of ESET Smart Security Business Edition. My first suggestion is to try downloading a more recent version of ESET Smart Security Business Edition and see if that makes a difference. You can find the latest version at http://www.eset.com/download/business.

After installing the new release, let us know how the efficacy of the antispam module has changed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. wamattox

Thank you very much. I wish that I had found the forum a long time ago. Actually have been sending contact forms since before my last renewal a year ago. The version that I have was supplied at license renewal. I have been updating all along and was not aware of new releases. What is the notification protocol? Are we doing something wrong? At 20,000 SPAMS a day and no dedicated IT person we don't have much time to be surfing for updates.

I am starting deployment at my work station and will spread out from there. I will spend the weekend getting it out and learning how to set up V.4

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

New releases of ESET's software are regularly announced via the Support News section of ESET's web site, via RSS feed, Twitter and, of course, this forum.

The software will automatically download new versions of modules. These are done inline with the virus signature database updates. Modules can add new detection technologies and functions, but do not update the core executables, online help and so forth.

Periodically, the program will prompt (if configured to do so) to download an updated version. This is called a Program Component Update, or PCU for short. To date, one PCU is currently undergoing testing for v3 releases of ESET's software. No PCUs have been issued for the v4 software yet, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest checking the sender email address in those spam emails that went through. If the fake sender address is listed in the Whitelist, that would explain why these messages weren't checked for spam. Version 4 has introduced an exception list which contains addresses that are always checked for spam. The exception list contains your own email address by default to make sure that any email you receive with your address listed as the sender is checked for spam.

6. wamattox

Thanks again - and yes, most of the spam that we get is spoofed to an office address or a good guess - I think that SPAM should be criminalized on a felony basis.

We have upgraded a test batch of workstations and may be down to a 15% leak through on the worst station (formerly 80-90%).

Glad for the thorough help available on the forum. Web contact form still a disappointment.

Wayne Mattox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.