Anti Malwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positive

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. er34

er34 Guest

Re: Holly freaking shiat AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positiv

Does this ever happened to Microsoft security products ? Can Microsoft afford to kill millions of machines of universities, some companies, all the home users of MSE and now all the Windows 8/WD ?

Such false positive only happen to "best"-in-class products like MBAM.

This is very low quality - no quality assurance, no pre-release testing, no nothing. Just see what they are doing NOW:
    http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/04/improvements-to-our-updating-process/
    They did not have such testing configurations before?
    This is a disaster. Imagine what would happen in a big organization if this was accepted and pushed.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2220571&postcount=4

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  2. er34

er34 Guest

Re: Holly freaking shiat AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positiv

No, it is not. How can you trust a community (not even a company with regular offices) like Malwarebytes, how can you trust the no-quality-assurance process ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
  3. er34

er34 Guest

Re: AntiMalwarebytes just nuked 20 of our systems with False Positive

Thanks, God - we are in Europe - and it was night at Europe at 3PM PST. This could have affected many people in Europe, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  4. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Malwarebytes Longevity:

Seeing how Malwarebytes will be hiring more staff my number one question is: How the hell are you guys/gals expecting to run a sustainable business model? It's a lifetime lic so eventually the re-venue will dry up but the demand will continue. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but reality must be faced. Either malwarebytes "shuddeR" will be acquired by other company i.e. Symantec or they will have to go yearly pay versions and grandfather the old subscribers. Otherwise, how can one expect quality and quantity of updates with zero profit margin?

Just saying.

5. er34

er34 Guest

Currently it seems to be run from the love of the community - free antimalware help, free ~ok~ program, free love, community, love, community, love, some money from users-in-love, some money from users-not-so-much-in-live, community, support, love, community...

I would not trust such a company and product in my environment. The above is good/OK but is not serious.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I've no affiliations with MBAM but on the aspect of license models, I have an alternative viewpoint here if you're interested.

7. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

A 'disaster', questionable community-ware that apparantly runs mostly on 'community love', sustained by '0-quality assurance' and based on a '0-profit margin economic model'...

tsk tsk, quite the 'emotions' suddenly running high again almost one week after the occassion.

8. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

~ Snipped as per TOS ~ MBAM Pro had a stellar record for quite awhile, no reason not to distrust them after one hick up.

9. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

From what i have heard and seen around the tech communities they have seen astonishing growth in the corporate market sales over the past few years.

Heck they have companies complaining that that they cannot take their money off of them quick enough at their support forums.

That will not be a lifetime arrangement model but almost certainly yearly renewable subscriptions.

Just a FYI that is where the big money is for these security companies and not dependent upon the home user market.

10. vojta

vojta Registered Member

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

First, it's not a Microsoft security product. ;) Second, it only happened to people who had a banking software, demanded by Brazilian banks.

Then, it appears that it also happened to Kaspersky users.

So, I'd say the problem were these two applications, that conflicted with the security update. If the problem was the security update, then it would happen to everybody, regardless of the system configuration. That was not the case.

12. m00nbl00d

Ask AVG about it. They may give you different sight. :D :D

13. er34

er34 Guest

I am emotional because I am part of the securty and antimalware community and industry [you are WSF member so you should also be] and I also value high quality products and services made from best in class reputable good people. And when I saw this I got kind of emotional - false positives are huge problem (some people don't realize). I was/am also ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ off about how much some people praise MBAM as The Security King.

And it was not a week after, and I do not keep on the news about MBAM - I just yesterday noticed the thread here @ Wilders.

14. er34

er34 Guest

As already written - this is not related to Microsoft security products (Microsoft Security Client - MSE, WD, SCEP2012, FEP2010, WI, etc.)

Second, as it was announced it was not exactly Microsoft fault but affected some 3rd party products who were written who know how (out of official rules most probably).

My words my sound like rant to you and to some other people but they are not. I am very critical when it comes to quality - sorry if you don't like it. I really can't stand low quality, mess and out of order things. I like perfection.

15. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Nope, I don't get emotional over a system file FP.
    Either it's potential mayhem is simply prevented by selecting non-automatic deletion of detected files (which MBAM only recently introduced, the previous 'lack of' and it's potential implications should have been a well-known fact, especially for those working in IT security. I don't work in the industry btw) or mitigated by a tested, documented/standardized recovery/'imaging&sync' procedure.
    When working in IT, you should get emotional at the level fire/water/electricity calamity like when a considerate amount of hardware is ruined.
    I'd go from the expectation that a particular bit, somewhere, some place, some time, will flip and just really tries to ruin your (holi)day. Simply prepare.

16. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

Ok to answer your multiple Questions.

1. The company is very profitable and we have a Corp Headquarters in San Jose California. see here: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/04/our-new-digs/ We have a 25000 square foot office.

2. We had quality assurance and it was done manually. Now it is done by both manual and the automated shim server. But what happened was something we thought could never of happened. This was a multiple level failure in our existing safeguards. We have fixed a lot of issues we discovered because of this and the shim server is online so this will not happen again. All defs are scanned by all supported oses and even some that are not officially supported. We have been adding individual files from the past months that have caused other minor false positives. The database has to pass the shim server or it does not go out. No execeptions.

3. We did start from the community but we are a full fledged private company.

4. I cannot say what may happen with licensing models in the future but right now we ok with revenue and businesses are yearly. Home users are lifetime.

5. We have been hiring in all departments. We have more then doubled our personnel in the past year.

Anything i may have missed please let me know.

17. vojta

vojta Registered Member

And?

So, millions and millions of people

Those two applications are well known and have been running for years without that problem. It was the Microsoft update who destroyed thousands and thousands of systems. You need to be a fantastic MS fanboy to demand every single developer on earth to anticipate every single Microsoft move.

If we are asking Malwarebytes to test their updates (about 12-15 a day) on every possible configuration it would be reasonable to expect that Microsoft would test their half a dozen monthly updates with, at least, widely used software like Kaspersky, for example.

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Perfect is the enemy of good, or so they say.

19. m00nbl00d

And, what? Someone talked about a security product and you bring to discussion a security update. Oranges vs apples.

Compared to what? To millions and millions, and more who didn't have issues, because they weren't running those faulty applications?

Being well known has nothing to do with anything, at all. Nope, Microsoft's security update didn't wreck anything. Most likely it happened because they were probably using (undocumented) APIs they shouldn't be using.

I remember one security update that "ruined" systems in the past, because it patched systems that were running malicious code. But, what exactly ruined what? ;)

By all means, search my nickname on this forum, and you'll see I'm quite the opposite. :blink: (If I were a fanboy, then I'd love Windows 8. LOL)

Microsoft didn't ruin its own system, though. They actually patched it against a security vulnerability. MBAM did ruin Windows. (By the way, nothing personal against MBAM, as I don't use it.)

It's expectable that security vendor do test their antimalware definitions to prevent such scenarios of deleting system files, but you can't possibly expect Microsoft to test every possible software combination to provide security patches to the operating system.

Software developers should also be aware that if they don't follow Microsoft's guidelines this kind of situation will happen (the security update in question).

Next, you're going to demand Microsoft to test security patches against every possible infection, and just in case not patch... one never knows... :rolleyes: (I do believe that ever since what happened back then, that Microsoft first checks if the system is compromised and then won't patch that one system, just in case.)

20. er34

er34 Guest

Wow, thousands of systems? Destroyed ? Very strong words have you used.

To be precise (and perfect) the issue did not cause any data loss nor any files (info) getting deleted:
    https://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/ar...ty-bulletin-update-issue.aspx?Redirected=true

Then, simple System Restore or patch uninstallation fixes the issues (in appr. 5 minutes) with no data removed:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011

I really wish we and I had more and more technical information about this patch so that we could know more and be specific about what and why the issue appeared. Most probably it happened because the vendors were probably using unofficial/unapproved operations they shouldn't use. Currently, no specific information has been provided to the public.

MMPC does this with the anti-malware updates which are released multiple times per and due to this are with higher chance to cause fault on more machines. MMPC is different team(s) than the Windows Update team. So far MMPC produced no false positives (check their history).

21. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Its nice ot hear Malwarebytes is hiring, goes to show how much the computer security sector seems to be growing lately. Now if only I had my degree :shifty:

22. Shadowwar

Shadowwar Spyware Expert

Degree isnt a necessary requirement. Its more knowledge and proving what you know.

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

How true! A degree says you are supposedly an expert in something...and an expert is a drip under pressure. :D

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Things go wrong sometimes. the bigger a company gets the more likely it is to happen. How quickly the situation is solved is what is important.

25. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

THANKS!

Great to hear!
    Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.