Anti Keylogger Test - how to protect against this?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ChrisP, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I found this, which Im sure many of you know about already:

http://firewallleaktester.com/aklt.htm

I have ProcessGuard - full version installed running with the highest security settings enabled and yet, the above test captures keystrokes and screenshots. (I have learning mode disabled, but allowed the test to run)

How can I protect against the vulnerabilities either using PG? Is it possible, or will I need another application?

Cheers,

ChrisP

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

I've seen may posts here about AntiKeyloggers. They all seem to degenerate into talk about other software :(

I mean, the antivirus section has a few regular and generally well thought of apps, eg NOD. Same with HIPS, firewalls etc

What we really need is a good answer / test of current anti Keylooger specific software to see which is better. From an old topic here I am using Snoopfree atm, but would really like to have a good, solid, well thought of (by the knowledgable folks here) Anti Keylogger specific software !!

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Lists_of_freeware_antikeyloggers

PSM is good imo. I like it better than Snoopfree.

4. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

My suggestion is not to even think about installing PSM. After a bunch of BSOD's I managed to get into safe mode . I think I got this app off my computer & its working again. At least I can now boot normally thanks to last good configuration.I almost got a chance to see if Paragon Drive backup would rescue my computer. You apparently can push the security envelope too far.

5. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I tell you all a secret: AAK+Outpost Pro = winning team against all above mentioned keylogg recording methods.

Forget PG. Use it as anti-injection/anti-firewall-bypass protection, because it´s the only thing that process guard is useful for. [The Master has spoken.. :D:D:D]

Process Guard is a bifrost killer (keep that in mind) use it to be the joy killer for chasenet (and their eternal try to generate a sophisticated remote tool that already loses against PG). :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Good that you share that. But i didn't have any problems. Best to advise then to use backups!

7. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I am thinking that Before you install anything you should make a backup or at least have a fairly recent one. As for me I always know that you can crash & burn at anytime using programs like these. Also another user might never even have any problems. It depends on what is on the computer.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I once tested Martin's and found it took a combo of EQSecure + Snoopfree to PASS it's test successfully. I know other combos would do the same and like the above mentioned just a single program to PASS it's test.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I was afraid of keyloggers until my bank changed the login-procedure of the online-banking in a very difficult one, so that keyloggers are useless, even when they were permanently installed on my harddisk.
    These keyloggers can still read and send my password, but that password changes all the time and is only valid for one login/logout session. Even when I'm inside and make a money transfert, I have to sign with another password.
    Quite annoying and with a time limit, but very safe. Since then I don't login that much anymore, because it is so annoying.

So I don't really have an Anti-Keylogger software on my computer, but I remove all of them anyway during each reboot.
    The difference with other users is that when a keylogger isn't detected on their computer, it remains on their computer, while on my computer one reboot is enough to get rid of ANY keylogger, even when the keylogger is unknown. I hope that Anti-Executable and DefenseWall are enough to keep my computer ALMOST keylogger-free during 4-8 hours. If they don't catch it, my reboot will catch it. :)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, there are many options.

SSM Pro( SSM free partially covers it).
    PS pro
    GeSWall free and pro
    DefenceWall
    CyberHawk
    Primary Response Safe Connect( by Sana Security).
    OnlineArmor 2( not checked myself)

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Your enthusiasm in many ways mirrors my own Erik, and in some respects it even far surpasses them, like for example your unending satisfactions resulting from nothing but OUTSTANDING! results with FD-ISR :)

It's more than enough to turn the head of the most skeptical of skeptics although it didn't really take that much convincing for me after i reviewed enough of your posts regarding FD successes. LoL

Any keylogger is also an executable/process that requires sharp stealth to succeed and some clever coding to succeed with exploiting a guarded system, but that aside there still remains web scriptings concerns to deal with whenever visiting any site & right there is where my own suspicions hit a peak and not any malware per say which tries to enter my machine. I guess in that then, it's most important to choose a secure web browser that's designed well enough to prevent any private data from being exposed to lines of passage that might could become intercepted on screen entries from the keyboard. Therein again is where a solid firewall comes into play for safe private interactions.

Whew! Boy there sure is a lot of ground to cover when determining just how safe it is to interact and/or transact on the internet and many other points in-between to focus on.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have SSM Pro - and I cant see that it does anything to protect against this keylogger

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It sure detects all three tyes of keylogging.
    See some example screen shots from Pro and Free SSM and PS Pro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  14. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hmm, how do I set it up to do that?

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

More here.
    Can u describe in detail how u r testing it with SSM?

Attached Files:

16. ErikAlbert

Well, I still have to polish my solution and the main trouble is time to do all that and another bigger problem is my TOTAL LACK of knowledge about Internet, Malware and Anti-Malware. I wouldn't even recognize a keylogger on my computer, because I have now idea how it looks, like most malware. :D

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Google and u can get plenty of them. Look at them closely and be satsified!:D

18. ErikAlbert

This one seems to be an executable (AKLT.EXE), which will be stopped immediately by Anti-Executable. I guess not all of them are that easy. I wonder why they don't call it AKLT.TXT

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I guess all of them are that easy.
    BTW I was not saying to execute it, just download and look at it closely.
    :D

20. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

The above is from your testing Aigle......fancy doing a new one (please, please please )?:D

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

lol, it was never a testing. Just a play of an ordinary home user.
    ATM I have less n less time and need to focus my mind on many other things that are more imp!
    Lets, wait for some real tests, ah.. AV comparative testing is near.
    I stopped using SP as it is no longer being developed.

22. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can protect against this by not running / installing programs that log keystrokes.
    Mrk

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

He knows it already.

24. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Cool! SSM can detect all 3 methods, but no screenshot isn´t it?

So best way remains aak+outpost pro4.

25. ErikAlbert

If I have a malicious keylogger on my harddisk, I assume that keyloggers can record and send my keystrokes when I type my password, but that password is useless, when the thief receives it.
    On-line banking was my most dangerous activity on my computer, but not anymore since the login-procedure changed.

I still can install softwares, that could contain a keylogger, but these softwares + keyloggers are gone after reboot, because I don't want to keep them.
    I install alot of things out of curiosity, but I never install them permanently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.