Anti-Executable

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Rmus,
    I know why AE does all that, I'm just answering the question. :)

2. ErikAlbert

I got that info from other posts about Anti-Executable. They never gave me examples either.
    Maybe it isn't true, but I don't care because I never get straight answers to my questions, just guesses and opinions.

Each time, when I ask members, how to infect my computer ON PURPOSE with the killdisk virus or some other malware in order to test my frozen snapshot, I don't get an answer either.
    It must be a big secret to infect your computer on purpose.
    I don't care about that either, what they don't give to me, I will get somewhere else, forums and websites enough on the internet.

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

OK, sorry, it wasn't clear to me.

-rich

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I've become very skeptical and cynical about other people's info - in pressing for an answer, I don't get examples either!

regards,

-rich

5. ErikAlbert

No sweat. I've read the User Manual of AE thoroughly and used/tested it during the full trial period. I only have problems with buying AE, but I'm working on that problem. It can't be a waste of money, because AE is an evergreen software.

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You've used that expression before - what does it mean?

regards,

-rich

7. ErikAlbert

It means that AE has an "eternal" life without needing updatings of malware footprints, like scanners.
    I need that kind of softwares in my frozen snapshot, because AE doesn't require GOOD changes, which are also removed during reboot along with BAD changes.

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Erik,
    Have you tried PG (Process Guard) Free?

9. ErikAlbert

ProcessGuard is the worst software in combination with FDISR, nothing but errors in copy/updating of snapshots.
    Most FDISR users replaced it with SSM.

10. lucas1985

The most annoying thing of computers: incompatibility between software/hardware :(

11. ErikAlbert

Say that again.
    Any software that doesn't like FDISR goes, I will never ditch FDISR for any software. FDISR is just too good.
    On the other hand, I'm not a fan of FDISR either, because I miss some features, but there is no competition, so I stick to FDISR until I find something better.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  12. lucas1985

FDISR has the upper-hand in your system :D

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You think that's bad, and it really is, you should also see what PG leaves behind in the registry and a few other places. Without FD at the time i seem to enjoy some benefits with PG but since discovering FD i wouldn't task it with anything that might cause conflict, it's simply too vital and important a recovery program to risk messing up all those very useful snapshots/archives.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Because if for some reason u want to edit the white list, u can,t!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

OK, I see your point, but I'm sure you can understand what a serious vulnerability it would be if a user could access the White List.

16. ErikAlbert

That's right, just like scanners :rolleyes: have the upper-hand in many systems, like GOD32 NOD32 and KAV. :D

17. Diprivan

Diprivan Registered Member

How does AE play with software with automatic updates, for example Link scanner / admuncher? Does AE need to be disabled?

18. ErikAlbert

I only used AE in a frozen snapshot and a frozen snapshot doesn't allow any change (updatings), but that has nothing to do with AE.

In a normal environment, I assume, that each installed software can be updated manually or automatically, even when AE is ON, because they are whitelisted. It would be very irritating if that wasn't true and nobody would buy AE.

19. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Looks like it might need to be turned off,it does for your anti-virus.

Attached Files:

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u protect it with password then other users will not be able to do it. Only u will be able to do and there might not be a serious vulnerability at all. After all when u add a new software by disabling AE, practicallu u are modifying the white list.

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Actually, not really. It depends in detail on how the AV is put together. Note - this is for software updates and generally not signature updates. In my own case, I simply trusted (not pertinent to the update issue) and exempted (this is for the updating) the AV files. If you want to be sure, if there is a software upgrade, disable AE; the worst case outcome is an uninstall/reinstall of the AV with AE disabled.

Blue

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks Blue,thats good to know.Now I believe I will try it soon. I will read the user guide more before I do.
    And thank you to
    everyone else for your input and help here.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, let me ask one Q.

U install AE on a clean PC with AV and FW and then disable windows updates altogether. Now no malware can run on PC.

I want to ask will this action( disabling windows updates) be haermful or not?
    I guess there should not be any harm.

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

In some respects, that's probably the preferred configuration. Some Windows updates require running downloaded new exe files which will be blocked. If there are dependencies between an exe and configuration files, I suppose that, in principle, an update of a configuration file could occur while the exe update is blocked and this could have unpredictable results.

The most stable approach would likely be disabling update, adjusting the Security Center with regards to notifications of Windows update and performing an infrequent manual update with AE disabled.

Blue

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks. Manual updates are of course the right option. But I really want to ask that why I should bother for the updates. Afterall they are meant for security and I am alraedy secure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.