Anti-Executable and FirstDefense

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Acadia

You can use SSM on a home computer, but it can be a bear to configure. I've used it but dropped it. Also AE will block a download of a bad file if it has executable code. If you want to be able to hand tune, and fine tune child parent type relationships SSM would clearly be better. It just wasn't worth it to me. I feel quite comfortable with the combo of OA and AE.

Pete

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Peter, which version of Online Armor do you use, the free or paid?

Acadia

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Paid. I rarely use free versions. I feel if the software is worth the bother I want the full version. Note as a caveat I do beta test Online Armor.

Pete

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

As a former beta tester of the first series of SSM, of course i held some fondness for it as one of the first full featured HIPS, but as with everything over time changes are introduced and that doesn't always equate for me as being better although it was intended as improvement. Peter2150 is quite right, more so now than before. When they changed the registry layout and added network to it, i started to feel an alienation. It simply doesn't appeal to me to learn an application twice when the first time was more then enough of a challenge. And thus my interest wained but as luck would have it, EQSecure entered the picture and i've found it infinitely more simpler as well as fun to configure.

More OT, AE is one of those really useful set-and-forget apps and it's but a small matter to add/subtract to and from the whitelist/blacklist. It's a great executable blocker no doubt.

As far OA, here comes another very well thought out app with a dual personality, HIPS + Firewall, very nice combo and so far stable where i've tested it on units.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Fellows, don't know if one of my questions was completely answered:

Anti-Executable does not interfere with FirstDefense Freeze in anyway, does it?

Thanks guys, I'm trialling AE right now, looks like a keeper as long as it remains compatible with FD. If I had to choose between the two, I believe you all know which way I would go. ;)

Acadia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.