Anti EveryThing... ware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SG1, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

As I sometimes get overly enthused with try/buy security apps, there is a potential overlap-pitfall wherein one or more apps may prevent other apps being installed with proper/full write to registry... or so I think. (You may appreciate that, if you have a sense of irony). <g>

Prevx indicated such a thing to me, re their Prevx1 Console "issues," to wit, Console not always firing up, and this would be fixed in next release. They also suggested that I try inserting a couple of lines in the reg., to help fire up Console as the other half, Agent, does fire up at bootup time.

I am not singling out Prevx one way or another, but this is about a problem I may have and I'm seeking "A Group Think" on this; so, if I can gather The Hive for some ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Some apps like Spybot, and perhaps SpywareBlaster write protection to the registry level - I think - and so they're on duty running or not (and personally, I consider a program to be running if it is in the SysTray, and sure, you could dispute my definition of something running or not, which is {and isn't} germane to my point, here).

So... can you name some of the most common security apps > that could prevent < registry writes, say, when installing an app, and esp. another security app? In short, I'm trying to find out what program or programs that I have or have used (possibly some "set-forget" sort of app, like XP-AntiSpy), that could prevent a normal installation of another program.

AND/OR, does it all come down to being signed in as Admin., or not, when it comes to installing apps? I generally don't have that trouble, but I've seen it suggested as part of the problem.

In short, I'm stumped... but that's why I always come here looking for a help as we have a good bunch here, always showing the true spirit of the "world wide web" at its finest, IMO.

Many thanks, for ideas on this. SG1 (Pat)

===============================
    * When on the net, I usually run: PG, TrojanHunter (Guard), RegDefend, NOD32, SuperAntiSpyware, Sygate Pro firewall, Ewido, OA, & sometimes A-squared (Guard component), and WallWatcher (which is not a security app per se, but rather, an app that shows router logs), etc.

Been noodling w/net security apps over time, changing the line up
    of "usual suspects" now and then trying to judge security, best/most bang for the buck, and CPU resources.
    ===============================
    Messed up install of Spysweeper (new ver.) the other day, & that's out of the equation for now, til I fix it/try that setup again.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

the only time i had an app conflict with a program install was when i used regrun's regguard. my guess is it prevent intellitype/intellipoint from writing to the registry. another time, i used xp-antispy to disable windows scripting host and autopatcher could not create a shortcut for directx.

for your config, id personally disable PG and RegDefend during installs. i think leaving OA enabled is ok, itll only prompt for running executables.

as for admin vs limited user, some programs wont install from a limited account, but for that reason ive always run under an admin account.

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

WSFuser;

Prevx folks tell me, regarding NOD32, that "We have found some issues today around components of this, which blocks runkeys." Prior to this, they told me to manually insert a line in the reg., which in turn may fire up the Console part of PREVX1, as it should. (But, they also found other things about Console, that are to be fixed in next release).

I guess, to be safe, that I'd best:
    a) bootup with as clean a boot as possible. to install things, and
    b) check to see if I running this show as the Admin. Will look at that, and see if this is part of the problem.

Thanks, SG1 (Pat)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well i havent run nod32 with prevx so i dont know of any conflicts there.

i do hope u get it resolved tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.