another Windows Firewall Control?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

If you disable the AutoStart feature from WFC and you start it manually, does it display the same message box or this is displayed only when the program is set to automatically start at user logon ? Please try to create another user account and see if the same problem occurs.
    For Java, you must allow outbound connections for java.exe and javaw.exe. Create two rules for these exe files and allow all communications for them on TCP protocol. Please make sure that your rules are not defined for a particular local port or remote port. Set them to Any.

2. lechuckk

lechuckk Registered Member

ok sorry i've found the solution, something wrong with the JRE installation directory (hence multiple entries Program Files (x86) & C:\PROGRA~2\ in Control Panel). Eventually re-installed Java in root dir, solved. Anyway, thanks for help.

3. nerof1

nerof1 Registered Member

No if i turn the autostart option off the computer loads normally and then when i run it manually all is fine it loads ok?

the message is displayed only when the program is set to automatically start at user logon.

What can be the issue?

thanks for your support.

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I rethought the entire loading system of the program. Now, the service (wfcs.exe) is starting almost instantly and the loading of the data is done into a different execution thread. At startup, wfc.exe will try to connect to the service and if it is not available it will retry for the next 30 seconds to reconnect. This approach will make the boot faster and will avoid the scenario that you have. I have compiled a beta version. Please, when you have time, install and try this version. Here is the download URL:

http://binisoft.org/download/beta/wfc.exe

Please let me know if with this version you see any improvement.
    Thank you for your support and your patience,
    Alexandru

P.S.: I also started the work on a new mechanism which can reconnect a broken communication channel without restarting the GUI. This is for some of you who receive that yellow tray icon when the communication channel is in faulted state.

5. nerof1

nerof1 Registered Member

Thanks i will try this for you today and advise if this works.

Thanks for your continued support.

Cheers

6. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

Was just installing some program on my Surface Pro, then I just bumped into a little problem with the "Windows Features" module in Windows 8 (which popped up stating a program on my computer requires .NET Framework 3.5). It appears it also relies on svchost.exe in order to connect to the internet and download software drivers/addons.

When it attempted connecting to the internet, the following connections blocks were noticed in WFC's "Recently Blocked" view:

Windows Features Connections.PNG

What would be the best general rule to create for this windows module (and what service should it be created for)? BTW, any chance you could add a service column to the "Recently Blocked" view? This could really come in handy for such system connections.

PS. The fuzzy icon stuff I was discussing earlier was simply due to the face that Windows had the Display settings set to 125% (Medium) by default. Changing it to 100% (Smaller) made non-stock icons non-fuzzy.

7. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Create a rule for svchost.exe to allow TCP connections and set the service to Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). In this way, you will allow Windows to install missing modules from the Internet. Do not set any local or remote ports because they change. Depending on your location, the remote IPs are also changing. In my country, it tried to connect to a very different IP range.
    Sorry, but this info is not available and I can't retrieve it from anywhere.

8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

BETA Version 3.9.0.4 available.

What's new:
    - Fixed: Program crashes if the user chooses to "Open file location" in Manage Rules window for a connection generated by System.
    - Improved: The service load time was reduced by 90% by using a different mechanism of loading the initial set of data.
    - Improved: The program can now reconnect to the service in case the communication channel gets in faulted state, without needing to restart the program.
    - Improved: Various parts of the code was changed to improve the speed of the program.

Installation Notes
    If you install this beta version, install it as update to keep the activation status. If it is installed from scratch, it can't be activated. But if you have any previous version activated and you update to this version, the activation will stay intact.

Download location: http://binisoft.org/download/beta/wfc.exe
    MD5: dfc9c0837017ff368433e10a56c6bbcf

Please, if you have time, install and use this version. It is stable and all these features will be included in the final version. Looking forward to hear your feedback. Thank you for your support.

The developer :)

9. mastagring

mastagring Registered Member

i'm new to this app. a question: is there an option so the software remwmbers the position of the popup? it's annoying to move the mouse pointer to the lower right corner of the screen on 30" monitor @ 2560x1600 pixels. :cautious:

apart from this, it looks nice. simple and small.

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

No, there is no such option. It was never requested or needed. I can make the notification dialog to save the position on close. In this way, when a new notification is displayed, it will have the position of the previous closed notification.

11. mastagring

mastagring Registered Member

well, that would be great IMO. funny no one else misses this. :oops:

12. Debby747

Debby747 Registered Member

:thumb: I would also love wfc to remember the position. Thanks.

Greetings
    D.

13. Broadway

Broadway Registered Member

Just installed the new beta over a working 3.9.0.3 installation.
    No problems so far (I did not have any problems with 3.9.0.3, either)!
    Thank you for your permanent efforts. :)

14. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Is this a fully functional free program or a limited one.
    Thanks.:D

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Probably no one has such a big monitor. :) I'm kidding, I use my 42" TV when programming. :)

The only limitation is that the live notifications for outbound blocked connections are available only for registered users. Once a user becomes a registered user, he can activate the program for unlimited times on all his all home computers. So, it is a lifetime license. All other features are available. For example, the recently blocked connections view is fully available and the user can create manually new rules based on the entries from this log.

16. nerof1

nerof1 Registered Member

Just tried that version you gave me to test and i still get an error?

Im not sure why this is happening to my pc...
    ohhh... well time to look for something else maybe?

17. The Red Moon

How do i become a registered user.?
    Thanks.

18. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I'm sorry that you experience this problem. I'm still investigating this. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the problem and can't debug it because I don't know what to look for. It works for thousands of users. One more thing that you may try is to reinstall NET Framework 4.0. Something from the NET Framework or from the operating system doesn't work properly on your computer. Did you disable any Windows service ?
    You can read below how to become a registered user and what are the benefits: http://binisoft.org/donate.php

19. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I don't see the "Open file location" option, where should I look? I assume it's a right click since it's not on/in the right pane...

20. someone2

someone2 Registered Member

Alexandrud, could you implement a signature check for authorized applications? For example, an allowed EXE file gets replaced by a virus or an update - the next time the program tries to access the internet a warning should pop up looking something like this:

"The signature of <EXE file> has changed. Do you want to allow the program again?"

BTW, thank you for all your work. Of course I'm a registered user. :)

21. The Red Moon

The whole point for me in considering using this was to have outbound notification control with the windows firewall.Now the developer has cunningly decided we need to "donate" for this function,which incidentally can be aqcuired from other "free" programs.Even though i wouldnt mind donating for a good product i do find this product rather misleading .Yes it can be downloaded and used for free but the main purpose of these controllers is to be alerted of outbound connections and this basic function has been craftily wrapped up in donationware.

I would appreciate it and im sure others would in urging the developer to be more clear on this on all download locations rather than allowing people to blindly download and install and find themselves confronted with a silly activation procedure and a limited program altogether.
    Windows firewall notifier or tinywall do what this does for free.:cautious:

22. someone2

someone2 Registered Member

WFN hasn't been updated for almost a year - dead? It's cleary behind WFC by now. And TinyWall doesn't show popups AT ALL. That's even their "selling point". No thank you.

23. The Red Moon

Tell me...When did windows firewall last get updated.?
    Get my drift.:cautious:

24. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

It is on the right panel of the "Recently blocked connection" view.
    This can't be done. Windows Firewall doesn't keep the hash of the file. The rules are applied per path basis. If an update overwrites the application executable, any rule defined for that path will still apply. I can do a workaround but I have to keep a map file and the synchronization will consume CPU resources. Anyway it will be useless. For example, a malware app can still use the original file, with the original hash, and inject itself into the running application. In this way, the hash of the file is still the original, but the file is used by the malware app. Also, the malware can mislead the user with a lot more tricks.

1. There is no "cunningly" nowhere. It is stated on the official website, on the product page what are the Registered Users Features: √ Learning Mode which provides notifications for outgoing blocked connections. You can read this here and everybody can: http://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

2. This feature is present in WFN, but also, this software is very limited in functions. TinyWall doesn't have notifications.

3. I am clear on the official website. I don't know every website which has WFC on their database. I only publish the software on binisoft.org and softpedia.com. On these websites, the limitations are very clear and not misleading. Other websites update their listing based on softpedia. I can't track them.

4. Nobody asked you to donate or something else. If you like the software you can support the developer by making a donation. Taking into consideration that registered users are helping me to pay for the hardware and software licenses, they receive a lifetime license to activate the program on all of their computers whenever they want. If you don't like the software, you uninstall it and that's it.

25. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JW Clements
    I don't see the "Open file location" option, where should I look? I assume it's a right click since it's not on/in the right pane...

It is on the right panel of the "Recently blocked connection" view.

Thanks, never thought to look there....

and to Beethoven1770
    And I tried WFC and WFN for a couple of days as freebies, was very impressed with WFC and Registered as much to say Thank You to the developer as to get Notifications. A small $10 donation is almost free anyway, you paid a lot more for your PC and if you hadn't, you wouldn't have a PC... cough up the cash and quit complaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.