Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by moontan, Feb 15, 2011.
Thank you! Running fine so far! No Problems!
Windows Firewall Control
Version: 126.96.36.199 | Date: 08.01.2012 | Filesize: 294 KB
What is WPF version? And thank you for the classic close button on the About window.
I believe it is Windows Presentation Foundation.
Do TCP/IP Net BIOS Helper have to be enabled in order to use this program?
√ Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0
√ Compatible with all 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows Vista.
√ Please make sure that "Windows Firewall", "Task Scheduler", "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper", "Workstation" and "DNS Client" services are not disabled.
Okay, thanks Broadway.
I would love to see a balloon tip notification option for blocked events, when in high filtering mode.
Also, a way of viewing blocked events through a logging system. Is it possible to tap into those resources & have them filtered through a customizable GUI?
I see lots of potential here, though i have only recently reinstalled this app again.
In High Filtering all connections are denied and the notifications for blocked events in "High Filtering" can't be done because there are too many. For example, uTorrent generated more than 1000 blocked events in just 1 minute after I switched from "Medium Filtering" to "High Filtering" while uTorrent was running.
About the second thing. I think I can add a new tab in "Manage Rules" which can retrieve these informations from the Security Events log. In a future version.
One suggestion about single click behavior: first click on notification icon opens the menu, second click closes it.
Already done. The new version will include this.
Also, here is a sample screenshot from the new upcoming version. It is build from scratch. Here are some new improvements that will be included:
The old context menu was replaced with this interface.
- A Windows service contains the program's logic and a tray program communicates with the service using WCF. This will allow the user interface to run with standard privileges but it will be capable to execute administrative tasks through the Windows service.
- The new interface is made in WPF, so the program will display correctly on all DPI settings.
- The rule name can be modified from "Manage Rules".
- The customization of a rule is improved and will contain more features.
- The interface is redesigned from scratch and it will look like the calendar from Windows 7, when you click on the clock. As you can see in the screenshot.
These are the news for now, I will return to Visual Studio and continue the work. Please share your oppinions here about the new look.
Have a nice day.
Sounds Great! Will the new user interface work well for those who have a patched themeui?
Yes it does.
WOW Looks AWESOME! Cant wait for the release!
Looks great! Looking forward to it!
Until now, I have implemented the new main interface.
Things that work already, especially on standard user accounts:
- Locking of the configuration of the program
- Changing the profile
- Creating a new rule by browsing for a file or by clicking on the program window
- Importing, exporting of the current policy
- Start with Windows, which does not rely anymore on Task Scheduler
- Shell Integration
- Logging feature in EventLog
All these work great, without needing of elevation.
Things to do:
- Integrating the Learning Mode
- Designing the Manage Rules window, all modifications will be done in this window instead of opening a new intermediate window
- Creating an installer
- Creating a logging window from where a user can create new rules based on the latest entries.
Here is a new screenshot from the new version.
I hope I will have a new beta version soon available for download.
Have a nice day,
Could you add the icons to the list of rules, so it will be much easier/fast to identify the software
Why I can't activate the learning mode?
"Creating a logging window" seems useful; Could it to allow tracking connections without to go Windows'EventLog?
BTW latest version is working without issues. Hoping to find same performance in next WPF version.
And weightless, shining, easy-to-use for who wants to use Windows Firewall only.
Please keep your good work.
Hows the memory usage on the new version? Just curious.
This is not possible without writing my own network filter which should analyze the network traffic. But in this situation wouldn't be a frontend for Windows Firewall. It will be a new a new firewall.
Right now, the service consumes about 5MB and the GUI 15-20MB.
Why I can't activate the learning mode?
Did you donate? If so, have you activated WFC?
Unfortunately, due to too many tasks that I had lately, the development of WFC was slow, but I hope I will finish the new version soon and publish it. Thank you for your patience.
What? You took time off using my donation?
Just kidding bud
Separate names with a comma.