Another Windows 8 nightmare

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Robin A., Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

2. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Your link isn't working properly - it goes to Dell site with this message:

"Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!
    Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error.
    Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too."

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

The link works for me.

It's an insane thread.

4. Robin A.

5. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Does not work for me either. My Dell XPS 8500 is only three months old so maybe I could help. Is it a Dell Windows 8 oem disk or the recovery disk you made when you first received your system?

6. Robin A.

I posted this link for information purposes. If you are willing to help the person who actually has the problem, I think you must post in the Dell forum.

The general problem is this, as I have understood it: The disk failed, a new one was installed, but the Windows 8 installation DVD supplied by the OEM (Dell) doesn´t work. Apparently, the reason is that no generic OEM DVD can be used, because there is a new anti piracy policy in effect, and the activation code is recorded in the "BIOS" (seems to be an UEFI-only system). A solution would be to buy a new retail Windows 8 license ...

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  9. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Interesting because I have the legacy option on my Dell XPS 8500 system.

I have a MS Win 8 system builder disk. When I installed Win 8 the key stored in the BIOS/mother board is the key that was used.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Microsoft has sure outdone themselves. This Windows 8 may surpass Vista, and even ME.

11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

DELL are a bunch of pricks! they are as helpful as a tin of Salmon. I called once to ask for the default BIOS password as I was locked out of my laptop, I hadn't forgotten the password or anything, for some reason it just would not recognize it. Anyway I called tech support, who after about 20 mins on hold, put me through to a Singapore call centre, who would not help because they said, as the machine was manufactured in Singapore, I needed to go there and get assistance once I was there :doubt: :doubt: I bet you can imaging the choice language *puppy*

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Geez... and Dell used to be so great with their restore disks. I have a Dell XP Pro SP3 disk and it's been so handy.

I think it's these newer OS's that are the problem. They make it almost impossible to get rid of them once you put them on your box. Apparently, even if you want to reformat and put the same OS back on, they make it a PITA for you, let alone if you want to downgrade (forget about that).

13. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

The Win8 user interface is not my cup of tea, I prefer the traditional Windows UI. But Win8's security enhancements are noteworthy, and I don't mean that they integrated a basic antivirus ;) Some reading on the kernel hardening for those interested, and I'll attach a couple snips of the summaries:

http://media.blackhat.com/bh-us-12/...2_Valasek_Windows_8_Heap_Internals_Slides.pdf (PDF)

Win8 also takes advantage of SMEP on CPUs that support it (currently Intel's various Ivy Bridge models). SMEP is a form of DEP that prevents kernel processes from being tricked into executing code from user memory, complicating privilege-escalation attacks. I also value Secure Boot as an anti-bootkit countermeasure, and ELAM can be configured using Group Policy to various settings including "good only," preventing the system from booting using malicious or unknown drivers.

I like the Spartan self-updating PDF reader that runs in an AppContainer for extra-heavy restrictions on the PDF attack vector. IE is also in an AppContainer for the Metro version, and the desktop variant of IE will likewise run each tab in its own AppConainer if you enable EPM. They also boosted ASLR's entropy.

In short, Win8 has some security advances Win7 doesn't have now, and is not likely to get. So weigh that carefully if you're debating whether to get used to Win8, or revert to Win7. For myself, I prioritize on security and will stick with Win8 Pro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Nice explaination of the security features. I've often read that it has security improvements, but this is the first time I've seen it explained, although I must admit that I don't understand 90% of it :D

It's also nice to see you at Wilders. We need a few more LUA/SRP evangelists here! I'm guessing that you are the author of that nice guide on setting up SRP, thanks for that.

15. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the link :thumb: which by the way worked flawlessly in my FF. - MS really did a fantastic job in making people angry and I agree especially with one statement in that mentioned thread:

And you can tell me about security improvements etc. as much as you like - I don't care as long as I don't ever have to deal with that horrible OS! And thank god I don't have to, Win7 seems to be my last Microsoft OS before switching to Linux.

Congratulations, well done, Mr. Ballmer! :thumb:

16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Dell forums can deal with whatever issue is raised in that thread. Windows 8 is nightmare for some, nirvana for others and so on. Take your pick :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.