(another) Vista question RE: ignoring WD sig updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is there any way to "ignore" Windows Defender signature updates in Vista? In XP, when you go to the download updates page you can click a box to "don't show me this update again" and not download the signatures. When Vista just updated I had no way to ignore them. I tried to download them and then delete that particular update part. But I can only delete the entire update, not just the signatures. And then Windows wants to download the entire update all over again.

I have WD disabled.

Geesh!

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

You have to disable Windows Defender in different places. In Control Panel -> Administration Tools :
    - go to Services, and disable the "Windows Defender" service (start mode on disabled, and stop the service).
    - still in Administration Tools, go to Task Scheduler, then to Windows Defender, and disable or delete it's scheduled task (there should be updates).
    - in "msconfig" (start menu, type msconfig), under Startup tab, uncheck Windows Defender.

That should be more than needed.

Regards,
    gkweb.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.