Another Vista boot issue

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by dhutton, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhutton

dhutton Registered Member

Hi,

I know this has been previously discussed but I can't find the solution I'm looking for.

I'm trying to get Vista running alongside XP. I have tried using VMWare but the performance isn't what I'm looking for, and once I'm happy with Vista install I'll be deleting my XP install.

I want to keep the two installs seperate. I've tried installing Vista onto another partition which allows dual boot but all it does is replace the XP boot.ini. This is going to cause problems when I come to trash the XP partition.

So I've bought a copy of DD10 expecting it to do what I wanted (I know it doesn't say it is Vista compatible, but it doesn't say otherwise either). I'm starting with two freash installs on a new HDD so any option can be considered.

Both are full release, legit copies. Is DD going to let me do this or should I be taking advantage of the 30 day money back promise?

Thanks in advance

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

There are some posts here waaaaaay back, where people have manged to get OSS to play ball with Vista.

IIRC, you have to copy NTLDR and NTDETECT onto the vista partition, then run OSS which will then detect and make it's own boot file and then it is supposed to work.

Other than that and a search, i can't help you.

Colin

3. dhutton

4. dhutton

It took a while, but I got there......

Here goes:
    • First I installed XP to a blank HDD by creating a 20Gb partition
    • Installed DD and copied the partition into the free space
    • Booted to the DD CD-ROM and ran DD
    • Set the first partition to hidden (also changed type - not sure if this was needed)
    • Booted to Vista install and installed over XP install on second partition
    • Booted to the DD CD-ROM and ran DD
    • Set the first partition to visible/active and set back to type WINNT NTFS
    • Booted to the DD CD-ROM and installed OS loader thingy
    • There’s a windows.old folder to be removed from the Vista install

I'm sure there's an easier way but after about 6 attempts of lading XP then Vista, Vista then XP, both with and without DD this is the only way I've managed to get two partitions operating independently of each other (If this isn't required, Vista has a boot manager that will do for you). This way I can now delete my XP install once I'm happy with Vista and there will be no left over rubbish.

5. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

6. plettner

plettner Registered Member

This is what Acronis' own page said about OS Selector from DDS10:

Try Linux or any other new OS

You have probably heard and read much about Linux, but never tried it before? Acronis OS Selector will help you to resize your partitions, including NTFS, and make room for Linux.

Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is THE BEST CHOICE if you are looking for the fastest, easiest, most intuitive boot manager!

From this, I would've thought this implies Vista is compatibile with the OS Selector. I.e. Vista is another OS and yes, it certainly is new.

Looks like it's another pigs-might-fly claim from Acronis. They seem to promise the Earth but their software just doesn't seem to manage to do what it says on the tin. :mad:

7. nuljet

nuljet Registered Member

Here's the page:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirectorsuite/multibooting.html

I guess their PR department got carried away when they said "Support unknown operating systems", as if all new OS's that could appear would be detected.
    In this case, perhaps the problem is due to the fact that Vista uses NTFS, and thus OSS expects windows' usual boot sector, and couldn't find one, so shows nothing.
    The trick I exhibited in the thread shown in a previous post just tries to help OSS to find and accept that boot sector.

Vista will be officially available to people in a few days. Let's wait then to see what Acronis officially has in store for its customers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.