Another TI 11 Restore problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hobocraig, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobocraig

hobocraig Registered Member

I am not an expert at these things just a lowly web programmer trying to restore to a new hard drive.

Here is the breakdown:

Two Identical PC's HP Pavilion 1023 c

Destination PC:
    New Seagate 250GB Serial ATA 7200/16mb SATA-3G in the destination computer installed recognized and apparently working fine as my first restore attempt can see the drive and restored all files but no boot.

Source Computer has a Maxtor 250 gb SATA 150 model

I am using a USB External as the Backup Drive to restore to the new drive.

The source computer has two partitions c:primary and d:logical XP restore partition. The way it came setup.

I do a full Backup (My Computer) I include the media options to make it bootable etc.

The backup goes fine but after a restore from the bootable CD the PC will not boot. I have been at this for 7 hours already today lol so so much for a quick and easy rebuild. I get some kind of MBR error.

I read through here quite a bit but can really makes sense of what I am doing wrong if anything.

I'd appreciate any help, I know it probably be covered - it's not an emergency just a disaster recovery test lol! I wanted to see if I could actually restore to a new drive in another computer to be familiar for when the day comes. I have TI 11 running on 4 very important PC's.

Thanks

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

The two computers may have the same model number but may be different enough inside to need the Universal Restore option together with Acronis Workstation to do the transfer correctly.

3. hobocraig

Thanks for the response: I am using the home version 11. So "Universal Restore option together with Acronis Workstation " - I need other software?

Thanks

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

First I would determine if the computers in fact have different hardware inside by using a utility like Everest or Belarc Advisor. Reading over you initial post I see it is an MBR error. Did you try fixmbr or any other mbr repair procedures?

5. hobocraig

I read about fixmbr in another post - How would I run this utility?

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Just to be sure, when you selected the drive to backup, you checked the top box for the drive and not just the C partition. That way both the C and D partition boxes were checked. Right?

When you restored the backup, you restored the MBR, C and D partitions to the new drive all in one step. Right?

When you try to boot the system with the newly restored drive, do you see anything on the screen? If so what?

Is the new hard drive recognized in the notebook's BIOS?

What is the specific wording of the "MBR errror" that you get?

7. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

When restoring windows xp, If the restored drive hangs or reboots at the logon screen, that's a sign of a drive letter change problem.

Either way, no matter what the problem, I always rule out drive letter change problems first before trying any other repairs. I don't think it's a MBR problem unless you had a boot manager or vista previously install on the restored hard drive.

If the computers are identical, motherboards/video cards/soundcards it should bootup with no problems. From my expirence when I hear true image/windows xp/failure to boot in the same sentence that always equals "drive letter problem".

8. hobocraig

Yes both were selected.

Correction I see the checkbox - the same as adding one at a time?

Well I can only select one at a time - the wizard says select another I go back and select C, D, MBR and before proceed the screen shows all drives and mbr as part of the restore.

The last restore just hung for 15 minutes just the cursor blinking (woot!) at the top left.

Yes the new install is fine I went into the BIOS before the restore to make sure the drive appeared there and recognized etc.

That I should know and do not - question when I restore again which I did I restore from the source backup correct - doh I am sure it sounds stupid.

Ok I just completed a brand new backup and am starting another restore. I deleted all partitions from the USB drive, created new and formatted. The backup was successful and now can begin a new restore which if any suggestions before I start clicking I'd appreciate it - and thanks already awesome that for taking the time thank you very much.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  9. hobocraig

Thanks something to think about

:thumb:

10. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is also important to know if the source laptop has an OEM installation of its operating system or did it come with a full installation CD.
    By the way have we been told what the operating system is? I can't see if it is XP or Vista and which flavour is installed.

OEM installations are usually tied to one set of hardware by the manufacturer and it would be nearly impossible to run it on another laptop even if it was built with exactly similar components. It is also usually in the EULA for this process not to be done without express permission from HP which I doubt the would grant.

BTW the chance of your problem having anything to do with drive letter problems are so unlikely that it can safely be ignored.

Xpilot

11. hobocraig

Thanks pilot -

actually... not a laptop - two desktop HP pavilions XP home all updated etc - I only assume identical I purchased two at the same time same vendor etc. I know doesn't mean different junk inside of each.

Ok Thanks for the next two hours or so - I don't want to bug anyone on a Friday night - I started a new restore taking some tips here (thanks!) and see what happens after this attempt. I will post whatever success (huh) or failure.

Thanks again!
    :thumb:

12. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You are correct. What I was driving at was that you selected all three before clicking Proceed.
    Well, that's different. Not good, but different. :)
    OK, that eliminates one possible problem.
    Right restore from the Source (you will have to select the backup image, so you know that's the source.) to the Destination, the new drive.
    I think you are ready to do the restore.

Let's hope that the results are better this time.

13. hobocraig

Ok that I did not do the last time but I have a restore running now with your obvious suggestion...

Thanks I'll report back

Regards
    Craig

14. hobocraig

Ok thanks everyone and Jmk, the last restore went great and new drive is booting. Only once so far it hung after the Microsoft logo Never went further - rebooted and came back.

One question - since I am going to use both identical machines in different locations is there a way to sync those two machines in real time or daily etc?

Thanks again I have a feeling I'll be back!
    :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.