Another ntldr problem and I hope to get some directions on how to resolve, as each ntldr problem I read seems to have a different solution. Here’s some background information: Disk 0: PATA 30 GB – C: (Main Drive) which has MCE 2005 and all applications. Disk 1: PATA 120GB – has 2 partitions: D: (Data Drive) and E: (Backup Drive). I keep My Documents folder and other data files in my D drive and some of the old backup files in my E drive. Disk 3: SATA 250GB – G: (Vista) with Vista System is dual booted with default set to MCE. My C drive is almost full (28.5GB), thus I want to create a new partition in the SATA drive and move my existing C drive to this new partition. So here’s what I have done: In Disk Director Suite 10, I performed a “copy partition” which created a new Primary Active partition in the SATA drive, assigned a letter to this drive as H, named it as New Main, and copied all files from my C drive to the new H drive after several reboots by Acronis. Once the process was done, everything seemed to be back to normal, except that now I have an exact copy of my C drive in the H drive. My next logical step obviously was to go back out to Bios Setup and change the CMOS to 1. disable my C drive; and 2. rearrange the boot sequence to boot from the SATA drive so that the computer will now boot from the H drive. After this, I went back in and got the missing NTLDR message… After searching around, I tried to fix the error by booting to Recovery Console using the XP/MCE Setup CD and running several commands including fixboot, fixmbr, bootcfg /rebuild, etc. and still got the same error message. What did I miss? It seems like I have followed everything by the book. By the way, to make the situation worse, I only have one computer at home so I can’t just work on the system and check out the internet for solutions at the same time. Anything I read at work, I have to print them out, then follow the direction when I get home with hope that it will work and not screw up the system too badly. If it doesn’t work, I will have to wait for the next day to and try again… Thanks in advance for any suggestions.