Another Lost TC Partition after win7 install :(

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Dingo232, Mar 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo232

Dingo232 Registered Member

Hello

After a late night of PC problems I decided to reinstall win 7. Now on this system I have a True crypt drive that came up as unallocated I think it was and I could not mount it. There was a windows pop up which due to tiredness I just clicked and then had a sudden sinking feeling.

There are 2 TC drives but only one has an error. The other is fine.

I did remove both drives while doing the install but there where many attempts to get windows booting properly as it had errors before this.

The drive was a single encrypted partition the full size of the drive. It is at the moment a single partition again but will not mount.

After a couple of hours of reading it seems this may be the best place to get some specific help.

If any gurus could offer some help it would be very appreciated.

Regards

Dave.

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

See if you can get the drive mounted with the backup header - choose the option in truecrypt to "use backup header embedded in volume if available". You still won't be able to access the files, but if you can get it mounted, from there you can use recovery software to get to your files (hopefully)

3. Dingo232

Hello, Thank you for your reply.

I just tried that but unfortunately I get the same response. I also do not have an external backup. I only just created this TC drive a few days ago to replace an old drive and stupidly had not made a header backup for it.

Regards

Dave

4. chrome_sturmen

That windows popup you mentioned, that may have been the common message "you need to format this disk in order to use it", if you let windows format the disk, yeah it would stand to reason that you cannot mount it. I'm not sure how you would proceed from there if the drive was formatted, maybe someone else can offer some advice to you - good luck (you'll need it)

I do figure that if you could somehow get the drive mounted, even if it would be inaccessible through windows, recovery software could likely help get some of your files back.

5. Dingo232

Hello.

I have had some sleep so things are a little clearer.

I am pretty sure it was not a format. I know the dangers of format pop ups and by habit I never accept them even if I do want to format. I always use disc manager to format. That's something I have learnt over the years. Especially when dealing with encrypted drives.

It was the initialise disc option you get when you add a new drive.

At the time I was struggling with a suspected faulty SSD which prompted the fresh windows install to another SSD. After that I had connected the suspect SSD to try and check it. I thought it was that drive I was initialising and creating a partition on. I specifically remember choosing not to format at the time. So hopefully I have not done irreversible damage.

6. chrome_sturmen

So you had windows create a partition over a truecrypt partition in essence, now you can't get truecrypt to mount the volume even with the embedded backup header..

I'm pretty sure you need to get things where truecrypt will mount the volume (even if it's inaccessible in windows) in order to do your data recovery.

I have no experience with this particular issue and so wouldn't know how to proceed, maybe someone else can help you further o_O

7. Dingo232

Yes that pretty much sums it up.

Yes I think you're correct. If I can get it to mount then I should be able to run some data recovery soft on there to get out the files I need.

Thank you for your help. As you say hopefully someone can help me get it mounted.

Regards

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.