Another getting rid of spy sweeper thread

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sol8, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sol8

sol8 Registered Member

I currently use eset smart security for firewall and antivirus. I also have spy sweeper (obviously) and have been rather unimpressed with their support. Not to mention the software seems to have only gotten slower since I first started using it. Since my license runs out soon, I am considering replacing it with a combination of prevx edge and counter spy and would like some opinions on doing so. I do like some of the shields that spy sweeper provides (browser helper object, hosts file, active x, alternate data stream execution, etc) but I imagine that counter spy or prevx will provide something similar. Any recommendations on these two you might have would be appreciated. Particularly any conflicts.

Thanks,

Mike

2. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

They are both compatible(CS n PxE) and both are designed to do different things so id say would make a fine combo n along with ESS shouldnt hurt either

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The recent test of NOD32 v4 performed by Matt at Remove-Malware.com (video available on YouTube) indicates that the detection and cleaning of adware and spyware in v4 of NOD32 and ESS appears to be much improved over v3. I doubt that much would be gained by running CounterSpy alongside ESS as there would be a considerable overlap in detection.

As Prevx Edge works in a different way, and is very effective at blocking malware using heuristic and behavioural techniques, it might be a better complement to ESS than CS. Also, Edge has been deliberately designed not to conflict with other security software. I have a licensed copy of Edge and have (at different times) run it alongside both AntiVir and the NOD32 v4 beta without encountering any issues.

4. sol8

sol8 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I will have to check out ESS 4. I haven't upgraded to it yet.

5. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You might want to wait a little while before upgrading. A number of Wilders members have reported teething problems with ESS v4, mostly with the firewall. It looks as though ESET may have rushed getting v4 out before it was quite ready. I'm sure they will fix the problems though; it's just a question of time.

I'm not currently using ESS myself (I was using ESS v3 but didn't renew the license as I wanted to try AntiVir). I did try ESS v4 RC1 out of curiosity and didn't personally experience any problems, but I haven't as yet downloaded a trial of the final release so I can't comment.

There could of course be thousands of users out there who have upgraded successfully from ESS v3 to v4 without any issues; you just never know. It's worth bearing in mind though, just in case you experience the frustrations that have been reported. When you upgrade to v4, it might be an idea to keep that installer for v3 handy just in case you need to revert back.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm no Sage but SpySweeper at one time back in Windows 98 days was all the rave and a pretty good product. I have no explaination to it's downturn in performance which is exploded frustration from it's customers for the most part.

But all IMO you can do is as a group continue to express the dissatisfaction experienced in all these latest versions and kindly appeal if not intelligently appeal to their support staff that these issues are bound to leading their sales in reverse and you deem it important based on it's past success, long ago as it was, when it was a equal program with competitors and even favored by many.

I think this is the only alternative available then see if they make the changes expected of so many users who have quickly lost faith in it.

It used to be my first AS in the good ole days but with today's super ultra developmental GLOBAL research and development facilities with consciencious focused faculties who are gifted as well as staffed around the clock, thats a heavy burden for a lot of companies to compete with anymore.

I can mention one however, and theres surely others, which is stood the test of time, EMSI! And i can point to another who is fallen behind in needed today's advancements like Lavasoft which goes to show theirs is a business that requires a long term goal of substaining it's position in this very competitive market in today's 21st Century Software Security Sciences.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i never used antispyware only antivirus and tools to block spywares:) but one time i tried spysweeper and it was bloated:D it slowed me down,then i decided to try spyware doctor and same:D then cyberhawk and i love it and it blocked spywares in real time,so at the time it was mcaffee antivirus and cyberhawk then added SnoopFree with these 3 i felt like tarsan or the king of england:D

8. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

As we all know. one product will not work the same on pc after pc, this is a fact. I have it and love it, the new one is fast and lite. If it don't run good on your pc then remove it. No need to tear down a product, just my thought.

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree 100% that's why i ditch them:D

10. sol8

sol8 Registered Member

My main issue with spy sweeper hasn’t been with the bloat that much (though it is definitely there). Recently I had a bad upgrade and customer support experience. Sending me a notice you got my email and then referring me to a FAQ of irrelevant info I already searched through on your site isn't support. I wanted a real person to answer my question. Maybe my expectations were too high... Anyway, since my 2 licenses are up I figured I would try something else. I don't currently have a Hips program in my setup so I thought prevx might be worth trying. I was thinking counter spy just to cover my bases since it looks similar to what I already have.

11. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

There's nothing wrong with SpySweeper.
    It's been trimmed down to such an extent that isn't bloated anymore.

And it has the one of the best spyware detection rates :thumb: :thumb:.
    Besides Spyware Doctor :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.