Another General Compiler Error Thread!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by PRB, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRB

PRB Registered Member

I have just started to get this issue on one machine in our office (sadly mine :'( ). The machine is running 32-bit Win 7 SP1 Enterprise (as are several other machines in the office). It was using V4.2.64.12 NOD business edition - and had been for at least 6 months. We use an ERAS mirror for updates.
    I have read most of the many threads posted on this subject and tried most of the suggestions. If I clear the update cache and do a manual update, the files are successfully downloaded from the mirror and the error occurs after that stage (i.e. during the install?). If a reboot is performed then the update appears to be installed and all is ok until the next update.
    I have un-installed NOD completely, run the ESET Un-installer utility to ensure a clean starting point and then installed the latest version 4.2.71.2. Again everything appeared to be OK at first but the error recurs when another update is received.
    I have tried downloading the updates from ESET directly and tried the pre-release setting as well but still get the problem.

My machine is the only one running these versions. I have two machines (also mine!) running other 4.2.x versions while the rest of the office is using 4.0.x.

My gut feeling is that this issue may have been caused by a recent software installation, unfortunately I don't appear to have system restore running (not sure why :( ) so I can't easily revert back.

Does anyone know what system files are used by the update process so I can investigate version numbers etc. I have a second Win7 box I can use for comparisons, tests etc.

Phil

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. PRB

PRB Registered Member

Been there, seen it, done it!

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What is the exact error message?

5. PRB

PRB Registered Member

The log entry has the following:

21/07/2011 14:25:35 Update General compiler error. NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

I can't recall whether there was anything else in the Update Window - I'll have to wait until the next update!

6. PRB

PRB Registered Member

Another failure overnight. No additional information in the update window. Is there any additional logging I could enable?

7. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

The only thing I am aware of that will reduce the occurrence is to enable pre-release updates. There is nothing I know of that will completely eliminate the error once it starts occurring on a machine. For now keep it set to receive pre-release updates and you may find in a day or two the problem may go away for a while. Just keep clearing the cache when it occurs and reboot the machine. Hoping v5 will eliminate this problem when it is released.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  8. PRB

PRB Registered Member

I've completely uninstalled 4.2.71.2 from the machine with the problem and then reverted to 4.0.474.0. At the moment I appear to be receiving updates successfully. I'm experimenting with my other win7 box which has now been upgraded to 4.2.71.2 to see if I can get the problem to occur on there. If I do, I'll post an update here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.