Another cookie question

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Acadia, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I was reading the recent cookie thread in this forum and it reminded me of something that has always puzzled me, not a problem, just a puzzle (and inquiring minds want to know!).

I always surf inside of Sandboxie so any changes in the original cookie will get wiped out. I can see why Wilders remembers me and I never need to log in, because I originally allowed a cookie to be created (surfed without being in Sandboxie). But whenever I read a thread the topic title will, as it should, change from bold to unbolded. Ok, that is expected while I am in that surfing session. But if I leave the Internet, dissolve the sandbox, come back in another session, Wilders somehow remembers that I read that particular thread, it is not bolded.

How is Wilders remember what threads that I have read? To anticipate a comment, no, I do not have Sandboxie set up to allow cookies thru.

Thanks,
    Acadia

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think many forums store our "visited thread" information on their own servers. The cookie may be for automatic login purposes.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

That's correct. vBulletin stores thread and forum section "read" markers in the database for each member so that new replies and new threads will be highlighted while already viewed ones will not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.