Another Blue Error Screen...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by bgfalconboy, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

This is the message I get.

"STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error} The windows Logon Process System Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x80000003 (0x00000000 0x0000000) The system has been shut down."

This is like the 3 or 4th blue screen I've gotten in past week or so although I don't think the above message is the exact one each time, yeah I know shouldve written them all down but I didn't. I posted another thread possibly linking it to the installation of myspace IM but I don't think thats it. I did recently uninstall ZA free which I had for a long time and switched to OA. I don't know if I did something wrong in the ZA uninstall steps or not but I did follow them step by step. I hope my HD isn't going bad.:doubt:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. bgfalconboy

I'm starting to get these blue screens more frequently now. Its really irritating. After several of the blue screens when I restart the Check disk usually runs and then windows boots up with no problems. I don't know if I have a maleware problem (less likely) or a bad hd issue or something. Anyone got any ideas?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156669

4. noway

noway Registered Member

Could be one of many things. Why not try system restore (or restoring from a backup image...assuming you have imaging software)? Or uninstalling new programs (esp. security progs) in reverse order? ie. Online Armor

5. bgfalconboy

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I'm currently in the process of writing a debugging tutorial that should enable the novice with very little insight to enable them to get at the root of the problem with their blue screens. With just a little knowledge and a few pointers they should be well on the way of fixing the problem instead of just starting over with a fresh install - over 70% of problems stem from 3rd party drivers and not Windows!

Microsoft is really a great site holding a lot of information as can be seen from rons link - the debugging tools for Windows also have information on bug checks etc in the help index.

7. bgfalconboy

Here's another from today.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. If this is the first time time you've seen this STOP error screen , restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation , ask your hardware or software manufacture for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios options such as caching or shadowing.

Technical Info.

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8a270978,0x8a270aec, 0x805c77ca"

Usually after I reboot and check disk runs, while the desktop is loading I get another little window screen mssg that says.

Windows Registry Recovery

"One of the files containing the system registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

Before this latest one I had uninstalled OA and SuperAntiSpyware and Auslogics Defrag program. All really recent installs area gone now. I just need to figure out what else it could be. I want to attempt to install A-squared and do a deep scan to try and rule out maleware or virus of some sort. Oh yeah, tried system restore to no avail either.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  8. bgfalconboy

Well , downloaded A-Squared and ran a deep scan. It only found this.
    C:\System Volume Information\_restore{61B0AEB9-0158-489F-9FFA-CA033D1A8B0A}\RP159\A0024708.exe detected: Trojan-Spy.Win32.Bancos.u!IK

I googled it and found news that suggest it could be a false positive but I want to make sure.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  9. bgfalconboy

The last error screen came as I was clicking on the icon for removing my Pantech Px-500 Sprint card. I still haven't figured out what is setting off all these blue screens. Sometimes they come when I'm online and other times they come when I'm not. Frustrating.:mad:

10. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Sounds like drive\device conflicts. You would be amazed how many devices\software programs leave behind drivers even after doing a proper uninstall. Give this link a try.

I use the second option to make the change permanent on all my PCs.

IF IN DOUBT ON AN ENTRY GOOGLE IS YOUR FREIND

I would look for and remove only the entries that are obviously related to uninstalled programs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  11. bgfalconboy

12. bgfalconboy

Re: Audio Device Drivers not working?

Ugh!!!!:mad: Now my audio devices aren't working. Clicking on devices in Device Manager , they say that there working properly but I'm still not getting any sound now whatsoever. Another thing , now my taskbar has changed from the usual XP blue scheme to the classic white color. I feel like I'm losing my pc right before my very eyes. I even got error messagse when trying to disconnect my pantech pc card. I'm about ready to start over with a re-install of windows. Anybody got any ideas here?

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Re: Audio Device Drivers not working?

bgfalconboy, had the same STOP Error screen (as described in your post #7) happen to me, on December 29, while attempting to open Outlook Express. I had never seen this screen ever before! I have win XP SP2 fully patched. Upon reboot, the MS Error Report stated:

BCCode : 100000d1
    BCP1 : 00000000
    BCP2 : 00000002
    BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : B1C8AF7F
    OSVer : 5_1_2600
    SP : 2_0
    Product : 768_1

Contents
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe895.dir00\Mini122908-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe895.dir00\sysdata.xml

Went to the folder above (Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp) and deleted the WERe895.dir00 folder. Then ran a scan with AVG 8.0 and found this:

Logger.FRZ - C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F85E50F6-23AA-4DC-862E-3E5F25DFB1DC}RP1001\A0097016.dll

Trojan horse Downloader.Generic8.DJF - C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F85E50F6-23AA-4DC-862E-3E5F25DFB1DC}RP1001\A0097015.dll

They are still sitting in the AVG Virus Vault and have not experienced an error screen since then. Perhaps you want to look inside that folder and see if anything remains there that could be triggering the error screens. Also, another spot to check would be C:\WINDOWS\Minidump (mine is 0 size) for any logs.

The Event Viewer, under System, still shows my error and clicking on Properties allows me to follow the link back to Microsoft's Help and Support Center for more info and possible solutions via their Related Knowledge Base articles, however, I did not find anything there related to my error.

This is all FYI in the hopes that you can find something to look at but sounds like a Windows reinstall might be in order for you.

14. ThunderZ

1. Right-click My Computer.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Click the Environment Variables tab.
    5. Set the variables in the System Variables box.

Copy and paste this -> devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the system variables box. Place a 1 in the variable values box.

Then go to Device manager, click on view, select show hidden devices. Click on each + sign one at a time. Any washed out icons represent drivers that no longer have anything associated with them.

15. bgfalconboy

Ok and what is this supposed to help me find out? Would this tell me I need new drivers for certain devices?

16. ThunderZ

If done correctly it will show you both current drivers as well as any drivers left from previously installed hardware and or software. Drivers that no longer have software or hardware devices associated with them will appear lighter gray. I am guessing ZA have left some behind. You may also find others that are not obvious in what they belong to. That is where Google is your Friend. If you have recently installed\upgraded any new hardware there may be old drivers left behind even though you uninstalled the related software.

17. bgfalconboy

OK, thanks. I'll give that a try. Another thing is happening after the blue screens, I get HD HARD boot error. After hitting F1 to continue, I get "No bootable drives" error. I have to force the pc off and restart.

18. ThunderZ

That sounds like either a BIOS configuration error or a pending hard drive failure.

Have you been inside the case recently. Check all cable connections as well.

19. bgfalconboy

Well, I tried that and no washed out icons appeared.

20. bgfalconboy

As it says in my sig, I have a Dell 6000 laptop, so no. This is my 2nd HD in 5 years. This last one I've had for about 3-4 years.

21. ThunderZ

Less likely to be a lose cable, but still possible, and easy to check. Just putting out some ideas before you go the distance of a fresh install. Which of course if it is hardware related will be a waste of time.

22. bgfalconboy

So what things should I be looking for in a laptop that could be loose? Should I try pulling out the HD and putting it back in?

23. bgfalconboy

If I do decide to re-install windows xp , how can I save my firefox favorites? Hate to lose all of those. I have a 1gb usb drive that Ive been saving some stuff to in case I go the re-install windows route.

24. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

You should have the option in "organize bookmarks" unless you prefer it sch-pelt out!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  25. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you have been running all that software for sometime with no problems, it probably isn't a software or driver problem.

You could try removing all the security software except the antivirus, one by one, to see if the problem remains. Start from the most recent and work back from there.

You can also download and run Memtest to check your memory. Read the instructions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.