Anonymous VPN Torrents

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Does anyone know of any good anonymous VPN services that works well with torrents? I've been using Xerobank for 2 years now, but Xerobank does not work well with torrents.

2. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

3. nightrace

nightrace Registered Member

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks BryanJoe, and Nightrace! I will try them out, and see which works best for me.

5. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Post back with your findings :)

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, i will post my findings.

7. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

@Cutting_Edgetech

What do you mean by "Xerobank does not work well with torrents"? I used it with Vuze a year or two ago, and it seemed OK. xB doesn't forward ports, which causes problems for some clients. And it may prevent clients from increasing speeds by blowing your anonymity -- in ways that other VPNs don't. Running a test torrent might be wise.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Hierophant, so you are saying my problem may be with the torrent client i'm using. I'm using Utorrent. I used Vuze before with the same results. I've been using Xerobank for a little over 2 years now with the same problem. I made a post about this a little over a week ago on Xerobank's forum, and i still haven't found a solution. I will continue to use Xerobank because i believe Xerobank provides superior anonymity in comparison to the competitors, but that doesn't solve my problem. I just saw your reply to my post on Xerobank's forum, but i don't quiet understand what you are saying. Do i need to edit the notepad file for the connection? https://xerobank.com/forum/index.php/topic,928.0.html

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  9. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm currently waiting for my login information from BolehVPN. I purchased a 3 day trial for $1.80. Its been about 6 hours, and i still have not received my account info yet. Their registration process was kinda odd. I should have took some screen shots, but didn't think to do so at the time. I will keep you guys posted when my login info arrives.

10. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

It's been over a year since I've run a torrent client. Torrent requirements may have changed (e.g., speed vs share ratio, or need for port forwarding). Also, I don't know what you mean by "dirt slow".

Anyway, there's an OVPN (OpenVPN configuration) file for each XeroBank path. They're in "C:\Program Files\XeroBank\Data\config" on my Win XP machine. You can edit them in Notepad, or any other text editor. To switch between TCP and UDP, just edit the files as described at https://xerobank.com/forum/index.php/topic,928.0.html. You need to edit each of the OVPN files individually.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, thanks hierophant! I will try configuring them now.

12. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I used BolehVPN and their service was very good.
    They allow you unlimited traffic but capped at 4MB.
    For me that is fine but for others they may want to max out their connection.

13. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm still waiting for BolehVPN to send my login information. I must say that it is taking too long.

14. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

hi, have u tried it?

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, sorry it took so long to get back with you guys. I was recently hospitalized, and have to have surgery soon. I tried the bolehvpn, and found it to be faster than Xerobank when using torrents, but still not as fast as i need. I ran 3 well seeded torrents for 2 days and had an average speed of 129 kb/s when downloading. At times it would get around 289 kb/s, but would stay there for only a few seconds. I have a 10 mbit download speed from my ISP. I didn't get to do much testing due to being in the hospital unfortunately.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  16. caspian

caspian Registered Member

It is a rare occasion that I cannot find any movie, music, ebook, or audio book that I am looking for on Rapidshare. And I get lightening fast downloads. Just a thought.

17. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

i'm also testing BolehVPN. fwiw, my account info arrived 30 min after i sent them the requested details (name, desired handle, renewal or new subscriber, package chosen, where did you heard about BolehVPN).

as for other feedback, all i can say for now is that setup was fairly easy and I'm presently surfing the web with a US ip and no delays. the service works fine for me with Online Armor, but on another computer I still need to convince Look'n'Stop to play nice with it. these are first impressions only and subject to change.

18. bangle40

bangle40 Registered Member

Any details on BolehVPN? Looked at their website, cannot tell what type of encryption, 1/2-hop?, and so on...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.