Anonymous Browser Fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Grassman20

Grassman20 Registered Member

This has been a concern of mine for a while. Is there a way to make my fingerprint more generic without breaking functionality?

3. lotuseclat79

There is a test tool at EFF - i.e. Panoticlick that tests your browser for uniqueness. The idea is that if you look like most everyone else, then you are not uniquely identifiable. The test will tell you how many unique bits of information your browser contains, and so, the task ahead would be to decrease that number.

In my case, I have a lot of browser plugins, that account for most of the value, so I would have to delete a number of plugins and probably change the User Agent String to something else to lower my score.

-- Tom

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

You could use the Tor Browser Bundle. Everyone using it has the same fingerprint.

5. Grassman20

Grassman20 Registered Member

Oh interesting. Regardless of add-ons and screen resolution, etc?

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Changing add-ons would break that. I'm not sure about screen resolution.

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

the links in this thread to test browser fingerprint require running java code. I decided to skip the first one since I didn't want to install a browser fingerprinter on my computer, and with the second one (panopticlick) I got warning messages per default Java control panel security settings. so assuming the user is not willing to run rogue java code at each site they visit, how easy is it to actually track someone based on their browser fingerprint?

8. lotuseclat79

Hi pajenn,

The 2nd link in message #1 above requires only that Javascript be turned on in your browser's preferences, i.e. I do not have java on my computer and can run it successfully, ergo, it does not require running Java code which is different from Javascript upon which most web pages are based.

With regard to Panopticlick, it requires you to accept a security certificate from EFF before running the test.

-- Tom

9. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

??

I open that page; fingerprintJS by valve, and it has some links on the left for zip and tar downloads, and instructions for running the js files from the downloads on my system, presumably to obtain the fingerprint. the page itself certainly doesn't automatically show my browser fingerprint. fwiw, i tried it on several different browsers.

10. lotuseclat79

The browser fingerprint is half way down the web page before the License and says:

Your browser fingerprint

which is followed by a number on the next line which is the hash (or value) of your fingerprint. The different browsers you tried should have different fingerprints values.

-- Tom

11. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

ok, got it. thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.