Anonymizer's Spyware Killer?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by nugmuffin, May 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nugmuffin

nugmuffin Guest

Does any one have any experience with this spyware program?How does it compare to Ad-Aware or Webroot's Spy Sweeper?I noticed that this was resold by Cosmi Software at BestBuy for $9.99 compared to $29.99 at Anonymizer.com

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

No experience of it myself, but why ask about a product that you have to pay for when the 2 top ones (AdAware and Spybot) come for free?

3. Riverwind

Riverwind Guest

Because whatever you pay for is (generally) better.

Eg

NOD versus AVG
    TDS versus A squared free
    Wormguard versus scriptsentry
    I'm sure you can go on....

4. Paranoid2000

You mean like 7-zip versus WinZip? LAME versus Xing MP3 encoders? Eraser versus Evidence Eliminator?

Hopefully those examples should make the point that commercial software is far from always (or even mostly) being the best, that price is a poor guide to quality and in certain cases (e.g. where data encryption is involved) open source has a massive advantage due to being open to expert review. This was how the backdoor in the Java Anonymizing Proxy was discovered - had the Anonymizer done the same thing, it is very likely that no-one would be the wiser (more details in this thread).

5. nugmuffin

nugmuffin Guest

As good as they both are,they missed a few things that Webroot's free demo picked up and I was hoping to find something on the cheap side that might be a little better than the freebies.AdAware and Spybot(free versions) will always remain on my pc.

6. Paranoid2000

Were the items that Webroot detected actually present? Some so-called "anti-spyware" software do throw up false positives in an effort to scare you into buying them...

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I've been beginning to wonder about this Webroot Spysweeper thing myself lately - sure does seem to be finding "dozens" of items not found by any other spyware cleaners which have been doing excellent jobs for some time ;)

8. nugmuffin

nugmuffin Guest

I didn't check to make sure.They could have been false positives.I thought Webroot was regarded as a reputable product.?Either way,there's no way I can spend $30 for any spy cleaner.$10 or lower is about all I can afford,that's why I asked about Cosmi Software/Anonymizers product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.