anonymizer service- any good?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by privacyfreak, Oct 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. privacyfreak

privacyfreak Guest

Has anyone tried this anonymizer service? http://www.ultimate-anonymity.com It looks somewhat like Anonymizer.com. (You must enable javascript to view site properly).

But I am asking about Ultimate-Anonymity, so please don't post saying I should try this anonymity service, or that anonymity service is better than Ultimate-Anonymity ok? Thanks.

The site says they have a one time (lifetime) sign up fee of $21.95.

I am just wondering if anyone has tried UA or knows if their claims are true when they state it will hide your actions from your ISP. Thanks for any comments on UA.

2. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Please read this first:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=44764

Do you know if this company is keeping logfiles? if not ASK THEM.

And personnaly i don't like the idea that they also support anon E-mail.
    Normally this means SPAM , and that is not a nice thing to have running
    in the same company (and perhaps in the same datacenter) etc.

Because you might expect network (traffic/DOS)problems then, (both directions incoming and outgoing)

Do you know anyone who uses this service?, have you tested
    the performance?
    Because if it is performing like JAP ...the performance is so bad that you
    can't use it, most of the time.
    And try visit the testsites mentioned in the thread above,
    to see if that part is safe.

Because it is a USA company, they MUST keep logfiles, and they
    HAVE to hand them over to the autorities if they asked for it. (i'll expect they do that)

In the end, it just depends on WHY you want to be anonymous.
    If the reason is that you don't like companies to have your IP
    then this can be a good idea.

If you don't want the government(s) looking over your shoulder.(privacy)..
    Forget it and look further.

If you don't want the government(s) looking over your shoulder because you are doing something that is illegal , call the police and give up your guns , handcuff yourself (hands AND feet), disarm your bombs, disable your tanks, and make a map with were your nuclear weapens are, and park your MIGS OUTSIDE your garage this time.
    And paint a dartboard on your upper-body

:D

3. privacyfreak

privacyfreak Guest

Thanks for your reply Tuatara.

The company 'says' it does not keep any logs files, even for a limited amount of time. But that's not really too much of a concern to me.

I don't know anyone who uses this service, that's why I was asking about it.

I'm only interested in this anonymizing service not JAP. I've already tried JAP and am aware of what it is capable of.

I don't really have a major problem with the US government obtaining my log files, if they really wanted them, because I am not doing anything illegal. I'm just a privacy freak like my name suggests.

I just would like to have some privacy from my ISP because I don't feel they have the right to keep logs of everything I do and everywhere I go.

So has anyone tried this service? And know if it really can hide your activities? Thanks for any replies.

4. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Frankly, there's no such thing as true anonymity without double-proxying, I once suggested a system called Cerberus - on your own computer (the client), it contacts proxy1. Proxy1 contacts proxy2, and proxy2 and the client exchange encryption keys via proxy1. This way, proxy1 knows who is sending data but can't read it, and proxy2 can read and forward the data but doesn't know who sent it.

I don't think anyone has taken up this two-year-old idea.

In other words, never trust a single proxy, whether it claims to keep logs or not.

:cool:

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Checkout,

Where can I learn how to set up a double proxy?

Thank you

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Try googling for "Multiple Proxy" and "chain proxies"
    will give you tutorial pages... maybe they'll help... try to find a proxy server list and put it into Proxomitron and see what happens.
    Caution : trusting any proxy server may be a fatal mistake..*it's your on risk* as the proxy server may be a rogue erver designed simply to *steal* :ninja: your info (talk about spyware!)
    G'luck.

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Thanks no13!

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Not the best start for an anonymising service given that Javascript can be used to compromise anonymity in a number of ways. :)
    For unlimited use? Given that their main costs are going to be servers and bandwidth I would be rather doubtful they could sustain a business with that charging model. Also having to supply non-anonymous credit card details makes the "ultimate anonymity" tag a bit of a misnomer. However as long as they encrypt traffic (you're best checking this with a packet sniffer on your PC) using a widely-tested encryption algorithm (Triple-DES and AES being good choices) then it should provide anonymity from your ISP.
    Tor uses a similar idea - Onion Routing where a client creates a circuit through multiple proxy nodes with each node knowing its predecessor and successor - but nothing more. JAP also offers multiple proxies (2) if you select the appropriate mix (the default Dresden-Dresden is only a single one I believe) but some people seem to find it too slow...

9. privacyfreak

privacyfreak Guest

Thanks for your reply P2K

The site says it is $21.95 for a limited time. There is something about their trying to build up a customer base, so maybe they'll be going up in price after they get some more customers, I'm not sure.

Also you don't have to pay by credit card you can pay by money order, so that could be quite anonymous, if you wanted.

As for their encrypting the data, again I'm not too sure if that's being done. It sounds like that's what their doing, but I just don't see that said anywhere in those exact words.

There is also something on the site about you being able to switch your IP address at will. Not sure how this is done.

I would say there really is just not enough information on their web site about how everything works. It seems like the information on their site is more aimed at newbie users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.