anonymity with a twist?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by philbu, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philbu

philbu Registered Member

Hi,

Please forgive if i don't have all the facts, but I have been researching.

I am in the US. I would like to post to a few message boards/blogs in a particular European country from here.

If I go through a vpn service like findnot (just as example), is it true that a site owner/webmaster could enter the ip address into a site like showmyip and discover that the address suggests I'm trying to be anonymous? Maybe by the Host Name, for instance?

In other words, if I type my personal ip into an ip search engine, it will show I'm on comcast and located in NY City. How do I get a European ip address that just suggests I'm going thru a known ISP and located in a particular city within that country - all from the US?

My main concern is not that anything can be traced back to me personally, because I'm not doing anything illegal. My concern is that a webmaster might not like one of my forum posts, then run a trace and be able to infer from the results that I'm going through a proxy.

I have a couple other questions, but I'll hold off for the moment.

I appreciate your consideration

phil

2. fuzzylogic

fuzzylogic Registered Member

your alittle all over the place but from what i've deciphered it wouldn't matter what ip address so long as its not yours. So what if they find findnots ip address, would mean squat as it tells the webmaster very little about what whom and what you are. its not going to make you any more anonymous at any rate, if you want something that looks like a ISP then use swissvpn, they are a major communication company and that will disguise your ip if thats whats your after.

better yet reframe your question and you'll get a better response, sorry its just really hard to see what your trying to do. o_O

3. philbu

philbu Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Hmm, not sure I can frame it any better.

I want to post to forum sites in a particular european country from here in the US.

I don't want a forum site owner to surmise from the info he can glean from a trace that I'm posting thru a proxy at all.

>So what if they find findnots ip address, would mean squat as it tells the webmaster very little about what whom and what you are.

I'm not worried about my personal privacy so much as I am about a site owner seeing I'm coming thru a proxy and deleting my post based on that.

thnx

phil

4. fuzzylogic

'I'm not worried about my personal privacy so much as I am about a site owner seeing I'm coming thru a proxy and deleting my post based on that.'

really if i site owner has nothing better to do than ban people whom a) don't like what he sees on his forum b) bans people from using proxies than i'd move to another forum. Really its not worth the effort and this is only one site, i'd move onto the bigger picture of actually looking out for sites that can use information for purposes of data mining, marketing and tracking. thats what i'd be more worried about.

5. philbu

philbu Registered Member

I appreciate your point, fuzzy, and generally agree. But my game is business intelligence, and it has it's own peculiar requirements.

phil

6. fuzzylogic

aha well this makes an quite a difference to the question, if you added this in the first place then i could have done this differently. Try using Swissvpn or witopia, these are general vpn providers whom are just used for protecting people from open wifi points, otherwise use a combination of different web proxies even chain them together. that way its looks like someone whoms logged on an wifi point and is just protecting their computer not looking for anonymity. hope that helps. :D

7. philbu

philbu Registered Member

>that way its looks like someone whoms logged on an wifi point and is just protecting their computer not looking for anonymity. hope that helps.

oof, you may have just given me the key. must be lots of folks use vpns just to protect themselves, yes? maybe it doesn't look all that unusual to come through one, then.
    I have a number of vpn candidates for the country I've got interest in. I was also looking at vps.
    I might also start a thread about javascript to ask if there's any easy way to avoid the "leaky ip" issue. I've searched and may search again, but not sure I've seen a definitive answer.

really, thnx much

ph

8. fuzzylogic

use firefox with noscript installed and/or use proxomitrion to filter out anything you don't want. or just uninstall java from your computer and no problem.:D

9. philbu

philbu Registered Member

thnx, i installed proxomitron a few years back to see what it was about, will revisit it.
    yes, i understand java/javascript can be disabled via filters, uninstall,etc.
    I'm wondering about those forum sites that require javascript to register/post etc. I use proxify.com sometimes and this issue arises occasionally. So, from what i've read, turning javascript on in order to register can show my real ip?

thnx

ph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.