Annoying Windows Explorer Message!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MurlocBounty, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueyes

blueyes Registered Member

Wow - you guys sure set some tasks! There was lots that I didn't quite understand, but tried out a few things.

I re-tried the scannow with a blank cd, but there was no difference in the result. Anything's worth a shot though!!!!

"These things look so good in theory - right up until you try them!" :D Had to laugh at that - it could apply to so many things in life!

I did check out the slipstream page, which is very complicated and in-depth. One wrong step and you'd be in deep. lol.

G-force - I wouldn't know the fogiest about a "Recovery console", and if I have it or not. Please excuse my lack of knowledge with some terminology. But I do know the version of the msvcrt.dll file is 7.0.2600.2180

I also tried the regedit sourcepath into the runbox, but nothing happened. The registry page didn't appear. I probably typed in something wrong.

I found the pcbuyerbeware site very interesting, and quote an article found there;
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum post
    A DLL fix I want to share...
    I'm running Windows XP Pro and I've been having a particular crash problem for quite awhile now, and finally fixed it today.

It usually happened when opening Explorer windows, all of a sudden all Explorer windows would close and I would get one of those "send or "don't send" messages that said: AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: mfc42.dll ModVer: 6.0.8665.0 Offset: 00001b3e

Also, my whole desktop would disappear and then reappear shortly thereafter, minus some of my systray [System Tray]icons. Needless to say, this was a major pain in my rear. The first thing I did was a repair of XP so I could be sure that the copy of mfc42.dll that resides in the C:\Windows\System32 directory was good.

This alone didn't fix the problem and I verified that by opening various Explorer windows such as, My Computer, Recycle Bin, Windows Explorer, etc. After opening and closing about 3 or 4 of them, I got the same error.

The next thing I did was to do a search on my hard drive for the file mfc42.dll. It came up with about 5 of them, one in a game folder, and a few in some programs. I noticed that they were all different versions, so I just renamed all of them except the one in C:\Windows\System32 to mfc42.old.

I'm pretty convinced that this has fixed my crashing problem, which has been going on for months. I have continuously opened and closed various Explorer windows and not a single crash yet. I normally would have had several by now.

I've tried all the programs with the renamed mfc42.dll's also and they seem to work perfectly so far. I'm so happy now. Hope this helps someone.""

I did a search in windows, and found 11 different locations of the msvcrt.dll file. Do you guys think it would be worth attempting this? The symptoms described in this post are the same as what is happening to my comp.

I will wait on your response. Hope you're having a good weekend. :)

2. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Oh yes it did if you c/p'ed that line! ;)

You would not have seen anything unless you had your "C" directory open, in which case it would have magically appeared! :D If you typed it in, you may have missed something in it's syntax (cmd/switch order). Look in "C" first .... if no sourcepath.txt copy/paste my line from post twenty-one. Try it with "C" opened and you'll see what I mean.

"I also tried the regedit sourcepath into the runbox, but nothing happened. The registry page didn't appear. I probably typed in something wrong."

Figured you'd get a kick out of that XP piece :cool: ... good you found eleven, but how many are actually in the System32 folder .... that's the important question? It's feasible for sure, on one hand to keep a file from being recognized by the system, on the other a way of deleting stubborn files.

Here's what we'll do (I'm not on my puter so for later, OK ;)) .... let me check my system for those files that ARE onboard (C language runtime library), I'll post back after downloading a few different versions to try'n re-create your scenario renaming them in the process before making any suggestions. Besides, I would like your information first on the whereabouts of ALL eleven msvcrt.dll's.

If the version you provided is the one from Sys32, then that's an sp2 file.

The RC would involve running a particular command from the "prompt" to find out if it's available ... after some reading I discovered most manufacturers that pre-install systems choose to omit adding it because of increased support related costs so ... give me some time.

Enjoy your weekend blueyes, the homework's easy! :D

GF

3. blueyes

Sorry G-force, but I did just try the rededit sourcepath 3 more times, this time with the C:/ drive open. Also checked my spelling (can open the "run" window and display this page too). Still no luck with that.

I noted my search results for later reference for the msvcrt.dll. Here are the 11 file locations;

1 - C/Windows/$NTServicePackUninstall$
    2 - C/Windows/system 32
    3 - C/Documents and Settings/Ann/favourites
    4 - C/Program files/Ahead/Nero
    5 - C/Windows/ServicePackFiles/i386
    6 - C/Windows/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusRuntime_6595.....
    7 & 8 - same as 6 - with a long number on the end.
    9 - C/Documents and settings/Ann/my documents/my music
    10 - C/Program files/Java/jre1.5.0_01/bin
    11 - C/Windows/cache/Adobe Reader 6.0.1/ENUBIG/Data1.cab

Your input has been incredible, but please dont think you have to rush this. I'm very patient, another week or two wont make any difference to me. ;)

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Pardon me for stating the obvious, but have you tried System restore to go back to a time when everything was working?

Another thing that occurs is, is it possible to go to C:\I386 (or whichever is the highest location of the I386 folder on your system) and copy the MSVCIRT.DL_ file (which is a compressed version of the msvcrt.dll. you require) and then use this to provide a decompressed copy (ie extract it from the archive) in replacement of the damaged version in C/Windows/system32 (or where ever it is required?

OK I'm just batting a ball about here, but there must be a way of manually doing scannow's job?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  5. blueyes

Topper - Yes I have tried the system restore a few months ago. Was unable to back to the previous month. The back button will not work, so can only use the current month.

Im really confused now. Do you know what version the msvcrt.dll file would be the correct one? I think thats what you're asking. Is it just a matter of making the other versions all the same as the correct one?

6. TopperID

I think I may have found a way round the scannow problem. Have a look at this:-

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

From reading this it appears you can alter your Registry to force the sfc.exe to look into your C:\I386 folder instead of looking for your CD drive! This would solve your problem and allow scannow to complete its task without asking for the Windows CD.

Have a read and if you are not sure how to use Regedit in the way suggested, just ask. You already have step 1 ('cos the I386 folder is preloaded on your machine), so it is step 2 you need to follow.

7. blueyes

Topper, thanks for that excellent site. I followed each step down to #5, checking everything as I went. Still no success with scannow. There is no dialog window to type in the path. Still getting the pop up windows for cancel?, more info?, yes/no? etc. The progress bar didn't proceed any further that the first attempt..

I wasn't very clear with step #6, so didn't go any further :oops:

btw, pleased to see you doing well in the Ashes!

8. TopperID

Can you confirm two things:-

1) Did your Registry Key for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Setup point to your CD driver, or was it pre-set for C:\

2) Can you confirm (by navigating in Windows Explorer) that your highest level I386 folder is located at C:\I386

Also, what do you mean by "There is no dialog window to type in the path."? If the Registry key is set to point to the correct location then there would be no need for a dialogue box.

9. blueyes

1 - The registry key was originally set at D:\ (dvd drive) when I arrived there, and then changed it to C:\

2 - Im assuming that by "highest level", you mean the first listed of all the i386 files? That being the case, yes, the first listed is located at C:\ (in blue print). Then following is C:\WINDOWS\driver cache, then C:\WINDOWS\ ServicePackFiles, (both in black print).

It was from the C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles that I copied the i386 folder to create the new C:\i386 file.

Sorry, didn't see your last question. The scannow is still behaving as before, continually asking for the CD-Rom to be inserted. Doesn't seem to be recognising any of the changes that I've made today. Yes, I did re-boot.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  10. TopperID

O.K. I've got that, but we have a problem!

You were supposed to have a I386 file already in the C:\ location which you then point scannow to via the registry. Unfortunately you say you copied a I386 file from another location and placed it into C:\ .

That simply won't work because the I386 file is not identical in all its different locations. The contents of the file will vary and you need to point the Reg key to the one at your highest location.

So remove the I386 file you copied to C:\ and instead rely on the file that was already there. If you did not have a I386 file in C:\, then instad you should have one in, say, C:\Windows, in which case that is the file path you should have entered into the Reg key you changed.

If in doubt as to what is the correct I386 file, refer back to the article in post #18 Or see here:- http://ask-leo.com/i_dont_have_an_installation_cd_for_windows_xp_what_if_i_need_one.html

11. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Still investigating blueyes .... ;)

Checking up, these two pages I thought you should be aware of. This first one uses the term "integrate" ... a.k.a. "slipstream" around the web and should assist pointing regedit in the right direction.

Remember, we're dealing with sp2 here, not sp1. Path modifications must be made ....

xxxx://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900910

This one addresses those error messages that could still be limiting your ability to access certain program dialogs ....

xxxx://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/816/

I can vouch for the reg-edits offered by this site having employed many including the above, specifically for this thread. Whether it will work for you or not I do not know, but see no reason it shouldn't (you may need to re-boot).

Keep in mind this only suppresses the error's as logging still takes place.
    Also note, with the previous edit in effect you may not be able to tell what resolution attempts work, so use with discretion.

As alway's, practice "safe hex" :D exporting a copy of any reg key before you edit! :cool:

GF

PS - To answer your question from post thirty ... "Do you know what version the msvcrt.dll file would be the correct one?"
    ... the version you gave me from post twenty-six is the "correct" file, 7.0.2600.2180 sp2

12. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Please .... continue Topper.

GF

13. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Topper,

I know where you're trying to go here, the same place I was addressing the final hurdle step three/post twenty-one (though at the time was also still wired into thinking this could be done). It was not until I realized blueyes situation ... "The comp was installed with windows xp SP1, and I have since updated to SP2 ..." hence, the file protection link to WindowsNetworking and slipstream one for Lockergnome.

From reading numerous forums based on the above link to M$ (KB900910), results were still encountered in the form of a windows file protection error, so really do not consider this route an option. But if you feel it's still worth a shot, carry on then .... I'm still investigating alternatives.

Quick question blueyes :D ... how long have you had Java 1.5? Any issues after installing?

GF

14. blueyes

Topper, my progress today - I deleted the C:/i386. Then went to regedit and changed the source path to C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles in both the following;
    HKey local machine\software\mircrsoft\windows\current version\set up
    and
    HKey local machine\software\microsoft\windows NT\current version

then re-booted and tried scannow again. Still no luck. It's still asking for the CD-Rom to be inserted before about 10% complete.

G-force, about 4-5 months ago, I had a minor problem with IE. On another forum, someone advised me to install Firefox - just in case. Firefox worked ok, but I think it also installed the java 'stuff' too. I uninstalled Firefox a week later, but wasn't sure about java. Sorry to be dumb, but really dont know its purpose. It does seem to pick up a few viruses (caught by AVG).

Is it safe to get rid of java? While I'm on a roll here for asking dumb questions :oops: , I also have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which I dont remember ever installing (and doesn't work anyway). Does it serve an essential purpose, or can I uninstall it too? From memory, Adobe may have come with the new printer install software - around April. Not totally sure though.

You guys are doing astronomical research on this. I dont know how to thank you enough :)

15. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Thanks blueyes.

Don't feel too dumb about your questions knowing I can only offer a simple definition. :D Java is merely a programming language, used and found on many "active" websites ....

xxxx://www.webopedia.com/TERM/J/Java.html

.... capable of good/needed web services as well as used for bad intent (yes viruses run quite effectively through Java).

xxxx://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/info10c.htm

"Is it safe to get rid of java?" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to do that if you access webmail or other online services, but it may be disabled in your web browser till needed while online.

Adobe Reader opens PDF files, or electronic documents which you must occasionally run into from time to time searching pages on the web ....

xxxx://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/adobepdf.html

You could uninstall it but to avoid problems you should first know why it doesn't work before removing, maybe your firewall's blocking (for another thread sometime, let's focus on getting rid of those error messages for the time being, OK).

Be back before weeks end blueyes, hang in there! ;)

GF

16. G-Force

G-Force Guest

One FINAL question blueyes ....

In the time since receiving these em's, did you ever try uninstalling Nero?

GF

17. blueyes

No I haven't G-force. I will try that before my next reboot, and let you know what happens.

18. G-Force

G-Force Guest

In the event you haven't or are hesitant blueyes, you may wish to view the following Nero FAQ regarding "Where can I find the General CleanTool?"(q4) which provides information on retrieving both your serial key and running their utility.
    Creation of a restore point is at your option. ;)

xxxx://www.nero.com/en/FAQs_Tools_and_Utilities.html

GF

19. blueyes

Thanks for your advice G-Force. I did use the nero clean tool, and it had removed nero from the "Add/Remove" section. Although it was still in the C:/Program files, so I deleted it manually.

Since restart an hour ago, I've had about 5 error messages, which is so much better than the 57 I used to be bombarded with at start up.

So I'm wondering now what to do. Do you think that I could re-install nero from the cd, to see what happens? Or is there another reputable dvd burning program that you might recommend? Its obvious that nero has some issues with .dll files and maybe other programs would too.

Thanks heaps for your patience and excellent advice :-*

20. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Hoping your still here, another question if you don't mind .... ;)

At some point please, the size in kb's of the current system32 file?

Still not right, but Nero is probably the most straightforward and foolproof .... just about any article around the web would tell you so. Many times in cases like this the next step is trying a re-install, which if you go ahead with I would suggest you do so offline with all other programs shut down (no running programs shown under the Applications tab in Taskmanager). Explorer may revert to it's previous state, but we gain some understanding of the underlying problem. An additional un-install (temporary) isn't going to hurt things.

I would like you to try one additional task blueyes ....

Download ListDLLs from SysInternals. Create a folder for it somewhere on your hard-drive extracting it's contents there, then copy/paste the executable over to the system32 folder.

xxxx://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ListDlls.html

Open Taskmanager, retrieve and remember explorer.exe's PID (process ID) from the "Process" tab.
    Now open a command prompt and type in ....

listdlls -r pid# (command space -r space pid) > enter

Look in the list (should only be one near the top), if the version it references is 7.0.2600.2180 and the location is C:\WINDOWS\system32, then I believe we are most definitely dealing with a corrupt system file.
    Please post if there are any additional msvcrt files loaded by explorer.exe w/path.

I've spent the last week's hobby time researching and am confident we can wrap this particular situation up. Renaming files held open by Windows is NOT an option as they are quickly replaced ... the RC (my first choice) was built for such scenarios but most likely un-available, where we need to venture (I think but have yet to proof it) is safe-mode w/command prompt where we can operate outside Windows. In the days that follow I will attempt to workout the sequence of commands required to resolve your issue.

If you don't here from me, know I'll be doing something drastic :D ... format c: > enter > y

GF

21. usergame

usergame Guest

I had a bad case of this:

http://img271.echo.cx/img271/766/repair7fe.th.jpg

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1849/167co.png

Problem was solved the easy way: True Image restore

22. G-Force

G-Force Guest

To expand on usergames entry blueyes, if you don't have any DOS or 16-bit programs installed or enabled then there's nothing to worry about. From Answers That Work (two-thirds down) if your curious ....

xxxx://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_n.htm

On my XP it shows it's normal location in C:\windows\system32\ntvdm.exe.

Bear with me here, another request! :p

Comparing notes, I haven't the slightest idea why from post twenty-eight you'd have msvcrt.dll's in Favorites or My Music other than it has something to do with you maybe burning music files and what additional info if any may be stored there?

One small task before trying to reinstall Nero ...

Go to both locations three and nine from post twenty-eight and rename msvcrt.dll to msvcrt.old, reboot. There should be no problems as they're not open by the system. ;) No change, then go for a reinstall. If the condition worsen's again, uninstall for the time being while we sort this out.

GF

23. G-Force

G-Force Guest

And blueyes,

Take my comment "... then I believe we are most definitely dealing with a corrupt system file" from post forty-five with a grain of salt cause I'm not really sure how to identify a corrupt file other than trial and error. The file msvcrt.dll itself is part of the C++ Runtime Library which in turn is composed of other "interactive" files usually delivered as matched or compatible set's.

Whether other C++ library files have a bearing on your error message or not I couldn't say at this point, but the term "corrupt" is thrown around loosly enough to make me wonder how people without experience can tell.
    Rest assured my goal is to be thorough. :)

GF

24. blueyes

Hi G-Force. Sorry, I wasn't online yesterday. On start up today, the error messages wont quit. I've clicked off more than 290 of them. Usually (like last week) I would click off 57 of them and leave the "error reporting" in my tray. Thats why I knew there would be 57 of them, and then they would stop.

Today they are not stopping, so back to using the bottom 2 inches of the screen. You would think I would have heard from microsoft by now. With no exageration, I would have sent them thousands of error reports.

I ran my mouse over the system 32 file folder, it says "Larger than 625MB". I am burning music files, but the msvcrt.dll appeared in "My music" folder when you advised me in post #14, to "show hidden files and folders". Should I uncheck that now from the 'tools options'?

msvcrt.dll is in my favourites, from a page I bookmarked during my own research. Its actually the name of a site.

Another dumb question.... how can I tell if I have DOS or 16-bit programs installed?

I haven't reinstalled nero at this time. I also haven't been able to download the 'ListDLLs' or rename the files, simply for the constant error message in the centre of screen. I hope I've answered all you questions. Sorry that you've lost so much hobby time. :oops:

25. blueyes

Hi G-Force, after 160 error messages today, there was a lull from them for about 20 minutes, before they started again.

During that 20 minutes, I referred back to your post regarding sysinternals and downloaded the 'ListDlls' program into my program files. Then unzipped and copy/pasted the .exe component into the C:/Windows/System32 folder.

I then opened the taskmanager and located the explorer.exe file under the processes tab, but could not for the life of me find the process ID anywhere on that page. There are 3 columns:
    Image Name - explorer.exe
    CPU - 00
    Mem Usage - 15,168 K

I also re-installed nero yesterday, with no difference in the frequency of error messages. The strange part was that they held off during installation for about 5-6 minutes.

Another very strange happening that might be worth mentioning. About 4 days ago before I uninstalled nero, was using it to burn some files to cd. During that process, I was also downloading files from another program, which usually come in at around 3Kb/second. While nero was burning, my downloading speed went up to 10Kb/sec, and at times as high as 12. It was acting really weird. I have a 56K connection.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.