Annoying Windows Explorer Message!

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by MurlocBounty, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MurlocBounty

MurlocBounty Guest

I don't know what this means, I have tried so many things to get this annoying popup to go, but every time I startup Windows it comes up!

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: msvcrt.dll
    ModVer: 7.0.2600.1106 Offset: 000335d1

Here's the proof by screenshot!
    img46.echo.cx/img46/6979/untitled3rj.th.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2005
  2. MurlocBounty

MurlocBounty Guest

3. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi
    The problem you are having is caused by either a corrupt or missing msvcrt.dll file. After you get the warning you should get the opportunity to report it to Microsoft, if you do you generally get a link to follow which will guide you to solving the problem.
    Or try going to support at Microsoft which deals with this problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238424
    Hope this helps
    Tex

4. MurlocBounty

MurlocBounty Guest

Sorry, but that didn't help! Windows XP was pre-installed onto this computer by Harvey Norman. We don't have the CD to install the msvcrt.dll, but I am curious that there should be a backup folder on the system with these files? I am really eager to get rid of this Error Message as I have been noticing slow internet and performance issues in games.

5. Texcritter

Hi
    You can download dll files from this site
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcrt

P;ease note various progams use there own type of this dll before you insert the dll into its folder make sure you save the original (if there is one)in a folder of your choice so you can replace it if any problems arise.

Tex

Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  6. MurlocBounty

MurlocBounty Guest

I tried, it says Cannot msvcrt: A file with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different file name.

7. Texcritter

Hi
    Have you downloaded the file and tried to run it.
    If you have you need to first remove the original dll to a folder of your choice do not overwrite the file, then add the downloaded file to the original folder and see if that cures the problem(if it doesnt restore your original file)
    If you run search on your computer for msvcrt.dll you will find the folders that have this dll file in them. I repeat before you try putting the new dll into any of the folders make sure you save the original so you can restore them if needed.

Tex

8. blueyes

blueyes Registered Member

Hi all. I hope you dont mind me adding to this thread, but I have the identical problem to MurlocBounty.

Was wondering if anyone had a solution to this problem. There is a real 'catch 22' issue happening here. Firstly, the error messages appear at start-up and just do not quit. I'm talking hundreds of them. Whether you click on 'send error report' or 'dont send' - it doesn't matter. The next one appears in 15 seconds.

Secondly, it is impossible to get into the C/Windows/system 32 file, as the error message is always in the way. As soon as that is clicked off, the windows page is shut down. There is no way of getting back to it before the next one appears.

Thirdly, there is no way to download any file from MS or move the problem file from system 32, as the small window (download) is behind the error message.

I have been struggling with this problem for 2 months. For some reason, the error messages just stopped appearing for about a month, now they're back again - same as before. Was wondering if MurlocBounty solved this problem? I have windows xp home sp2. Any help would be much appreciated.

9. ravin

ravin Registered Member

don't know if this will help but a friend of mine had a similar problem on win2k machine and everytime he tried to do anything it would produce the same error your getting. Turns out under manage local users and groups that the user administrator was checked as locked out. removing the check in locked out fixed the issue. again not sure but worth a look at permissions under manage.

10. blueyes

Thanks for your reply, ravin. Could you please tell me exactly where to find that (now dont be rude. LOL). Just need some 'dumbing down' for this newbie. Thanks heaps.

11. ravin

ravin Registered Member

1. right click my computer icon
    2. click on manage
    3. click + sign on local users and groups
    4. click on users folder
    5. doubleclick on Administrator

should see Box's for password and account info make sure locked out is not checked if it is uncheck it.

on my friends computer a piece of malware had changed this setting to lockout - go figure. Hope this helps.

12. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

That is only available in XP Pro.

13. ravin

ravin Registered Member

14. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Hello, blueyes! :D

Murlocs problem sounds a little different from your's (him, possibly suffering a corrupt user profile) so we'll concentrate on your problem for now. But if you return Murloc, make sure your showing all system files (you might need safe mode to accomplish) by opening Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View and checking "Show hidden files and folders" > ignore the warning, OK to close ...
    Oh and Murloc ... being that you have no CD, you may need to operate from a bootdisc as described here
    (I know it's an OE article but describes what you may need to do) ...

xxxx://xxx.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Outlook/Q_20593849.html
    Pardon, I'm having some problems of my own or I'd have given you the "live" link! Just swap the http and www.

Blueyes, am I to imagine you've given sfc /scannow a go ... this is assuming a non-OEM installation of sp2 (you have the disc)? Personally it sounds like the "bad guys" that it has magically returned after it's month long hiatus. I'd like to know if you've tried safemode w/networking (repeatedly tapping F8 while the system boots, selecting before-mentioned using the arrow keys) and if the condition persists?

We patiently await your reply. :)

GF

15. blueyes

Thank you all so much for your replies. Ravin, I tried your link for MS, unfortunately, it was the wrong .dll file, but thanks anyway. I have searched on the MS help pages for msvcrt.dll errors, but none are relevent to my OS.

G-force, like murloc, I also dont have a CD install disc (MS being factory installed). I have started in safe mode before, and there are no error messages while there. I have also read about creating a new user profile and transferring all files and programs over, but feel really nervous about that. It does seem very drastic.

I know that my comp is set to 'show all hidden files and folders'. Sorry, but I had trouble finding the exact page from the link you provided. Found the experts exchange page, but couldn't get to the solutions (without paying).

I'm also not sure what you meant by "sfc/scannow".

I have spybot, adaware, AVG and MS antispyware which I run daily. By browsing many forums and help pages, I have discovered that msvcrt.dll has something to do with 'visual' components. I found a forum for Winamp, and there were a lot of users having problems with this .dll file. Put simply, this .dll file is used by a lot of different 'visual' applications, including MS office, but some use a different version. If a different version is used to the one on your comp, it then becomes corrupted, and then the problems start. I have also discovered this was a problem with the windows 95, 98 and ME OS, and patches are available from MS. Unfortunately, nothing for XP - not that I've found.

I dont have winamp, but do have nero, and not sure, but maybe the problem started around the time I installed it.

Again, thanks everyone for your valued input.

16. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Ahh, your *identical* problem .... "I also dont have a CD install disc ..."

I'm short on time this morning blueyes but concerning that EE link, notice the size of the scrollbar on your right ...
    comments to follow! :D

sfc(space)/scannow is M$'s built in (from the CD) utility to check and replace if necessary any damaged system files from the dll cache, which may also be placed on the hard drive versus loading from CD ...

xxxx://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310747

Could you please forward the make/model of the puter your on and if you have any physical rescue discs at your disposal.

I will address you again later this evening blueyes, my e.s.t. ;)

GF

17. blueyes

Thanks for your info G-force. I visited the MS link you supplied. I didn't even know that existed. There is no instructions, so I guess you'll guide me through this.

I'm not good with the statistical 'stuff', so copied this direct from the brochure;
    Omega Intel Celeron 2.4GHz processor
    40GB 7200RPM Hard disk drive
    256MB Fast DDR RAM
    56K dial up
    Windows XP Home edition version 2002 SP2
    IE version 6.0
    MS Office 2003 SP1

I have an Omega disc;
    "Omega Technology Product Recovery CD-ROM
    Support for these products is provided by Omega Technology Windows XP Home edition SP1.
    The software included on this Recovery CD-Rom was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of Omega Technology Computer System."

Thanks for your continued help. :)

18. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Please , please, you don't need a Windows CD - if Windows was pre-installed the contents of the CD will be stored in one of your I386 folders. Please read this tutorial:-
    What you should do first is run the Windows XP System File Checker (Sfc.exe). To do that, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' (without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/'). And see if you have a corrupt file that needs replacing.

19. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Or maybe Topper will slip in and provide excellent instructions! :D

Nice Mr.ID ;) ... ask Leo? :D

Thanks for the info blueyes. Go ahead and let sfc /scannow try to correct the problem unless your still plagued by those repeated explorer errors (with or without the .exe), otherwise you must try safe-mode or alter the syntax to sfc /scanonce where it will run at next boot. :cool:

To add to Toppers find above .... when searching for the correct folder and aside from those two files mentioned, assure that it contains the msvcrt.dll. Check that files version, if sp2 came pre-installed (you didn't download sp2 as an update) it should list 7.0.2600.2180 as shown in this link ...

xxxx://support.microsoft.com/dllhelp/default.aspx?l=55&fid=17152

If you receive an error message running scannow, load the path as outlined above. My only concern is if you downloaded sp2 from M$ and the file version from your I386 folder is 7.0.2600.1106, WFP is going to get in the way ...

xxxx://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;222193

We shall see blueyes...

GF

20. blueyes

Thanks G-force and Topper for your informative posts. Unfortunately, the comp was installed with windows xp SP1, and I have since updated to SP2, which is creating the biggest obstacle with using the scannow.

I was less than 10% into scannow when this message appeared;
    "Windows file protection.
    Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your windows xp home edition CD-Rom now.
    Retry/more information/cancel."

When clicking on "more information" this message appears;
    "Possible reasons for this problem.
    You have inserted the wrong cd (ie; different windows product than the version installed).
    The cd-rom drive in your system is not functioning properly.
    OK"

Clicking on "Cancel" brings up this message;
    "If you cancel, windows might require you to insert a cd later. Are you sure you want to skip this file?
    Yes/No"

Clicking on "yes" takes you back to the first message. Clicking on "no" takes you back to the "more information" message. It just goes around in circles. There was no dialog asking me to type in the full path of the directory. Which is BTW, C:/WINDOWS/ServicePackFiles/i386/msvcrt.dll

Not sure where to go from here. :doubt: Appreciate your perseverance with this. :)

21. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Did you say, "BIG obstacle!?" :D Well it includes a rather complicated workaround to go along with it ....

xxxx://www.wown.com/articles_tutorials/Tweaking-XP-Windows-File-Protection-SP2.html

.... which we're not going to get into here. :)

The correct way would be easier except for the fact neither you nor I are dealing with factory CD's,
    so there are other issues to contend with ....

Slipstream Xp And Sp2, How-to
    Google this title blueyes, they're the one's at Lockergnome.

I'm sure you'd like to move your present situation along so a few favors if I may,
    as our circumstances differ (me sp1 OEM CD, no sp2).

1.) Would you by chance have the "Recovery Console" as a boot/operating system option?

2.) What is the file version of msvcrt.dll in your current System32 folder?

3.) Please enter this into your runbox, OK to execute ....

regedit /e c:\sourcepath.txt "hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion"

.... then proceed to your "C" directory > find this textfile. Upon opening under the heading " Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" or similar, there will be a listing in quotes starting with the same entry as our run command above minus the c:\sourcepath.txt part.

What is the "SourcePath?"

GF

PS blueyes - Not having the hands on experience of some veterans I am proceeding cautiously, whether I'm requesting information that is relevant or may help me address your problem I am not certain. What I do know is that a good copy of msvcrt needs to be "safely" copied to your system32 directory and am trying my best to provide accurate information to resolve this issue.

Though I did run scannow prior to my last post (circlejerk with no request for a directory path), please excuse my shortcoming for not forwarding the same results. In almost all cases I pride myself in proof of concept ....
    never suggesting to anyone to try something I haven't first proven myself.

;)

22. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

These things look so good in theory - right up until you try them!

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I would try putting in a blank CD and hope that you get the opportunity to click 'OK' and 'fail' the load attempt.

23. G-Force

G-Force Guest

No sweat Topper, I wasn't insinuating anything. ;)
    Maybe those notes work on Win2K, but after quickly attempting "clutching at straws" on XP she's a nogo!

Please hang around though as your an informed, helpful fella in these parts! :D

GF

24. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Quick thought before signing off for the evening blueyes ....

In post fifteen you mentioned the problem may have started the same time as your Nero install, well this topical page came up while searching ....

xxxx://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/DLLProblem.htm

I'm not sure if Nero does this or not, but should provide a good overview of what can happen when third party soft installs their own version of a file.

Be back this weekend to checkup on your replies! ;)

GF

25. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Couldn't leave without one more! :D

Like suggested at the link, search for msvcrt.dll noting how many and they're locations omitting for the most part reference to other operating systems. You can follow along "Possible Solutions" where System Information may be accessed on XP by placing msinfo32 into your runbox.

Forget scannow for the moment, your current setup won't allow it.

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.