ANNOYING! How to copy as text a link...a picture paints 1000 words

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This will be easier to show what I want than to describe:

In this case I want to copy the CLSID. This has come up before and I am sick of laboriously copying by hand, that which I should be able to just copy as text. Probably this is totally simple, but at the moment it has me stumped!

-HandsOff

I should add that when I attempt to "copy as text" when I print the text, the text is:

www"dot"castlecops.... and not ...84A41A53-D126...

Stuff like this drives me crazy! Why can't the computer just do what I wanto_O

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

in opera (using linux, but i'm sure windows too) you can left click, and keep the button pressed, anywhere in a link and drag the mouse pointer along to hightlight the text, then select copy, all without going to the link.

in firefox i have to click on blank space then drag the pointer, select copy, then edit the bits i don't want.

3. noway

noway Registered Member

I haven't got a clue what you're taliking about. You want to copy a CLSID and then you posted an image with the CLSID in the image?

If you go to this page:

http://www.castlecops.com/bhotb-14540.html

...are you having trouble HIGHLIGHTING and right-click copying the CLSIDs and pasting them into a text file? Also you never mentioned what browser you are using. Are you forgetting to highlight the CLSID first?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't unnerstand what you're aiming at.
    But In Linux, double-click anything, it will get copied. Then middle-click where you want, it's pasted.
    Mrk

5. Fencing

Fencing Registered Member

A) view source code, then do a "find" for the first few letters/numbers of what ur looking for... then u got it ready to copy (unless it's not in the source because it's some dodgy javascript)

A2) if it's in the source code you could use php or something to scrape the part of the code u need instantly whenever u need it ... just takes a little script (which may take a lot of work to write)

B) try selecting a greater area and see if what u paste contains what u want in some mashed up order (that often happens to me when copying wikipedia text in netscape 7 on sun/unix)

C) what kind of browser are you using? try a different one perhaps :D

6. King FN Kong

King FN Kong Registered Member

Do you want to copy the link as text?

Problem is, if you click on the link, it gets launched and not highlighted?

iceni60's suggestion on opera works on windowz.

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

How to copy

as text

a link...

a picture paints 1000 words
    This will be easier to show what I want than to describe:

In this case I want to copy the CLSID. <---Yes, I mean copy as text!
    ----------------

Anyway thanks for your responses! Icini - man, you described the procedure exactly. What was throwing me was thinking that I cold drag or copy just the link itself. You are right, I had to click a broader region, and then copy the entire contents of the selection, and then paste it into my destination.

BTW - Copying to my editor of choice, TextMaker 2006, I at least have the option to "Pastes Special" and specify paste as plain text (no html, no formatting). Can you do this in MS-Word? I used to use a very small simple program (Pure Text) when pasting something from the internet, to avoid all the confusing formating (and in some cases crashing your editor).

Sorry if my question was too loosely worded. You are right, I should have stated I was using Firefox. Great answers, though!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.