Announcing Online Armor AV+

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MikeNash, Feb 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to announce our new product - Online Armor AV+.

Online Armor AV+ is basically the same as Online Armor, but coupled with an Antivirus engine to identify known-malicious code.

This enhancement was designed to get around problems of users being prompted with questions that they did not know the answer to, but AV engines do.

AV+ works in the same way as the current Online Armor, except with a couple of changes possible because of the AV engine:

* On demand scan - now uses the AV engine instead of the trusted apps list.
    ("Delete" - will use the AV clean function, not just a straight file delete.)

* Program Guard - programs will be checked for "evilness" before execution

* Mail Shield - Transparent POP3 and IMAP scanning for Viruses.

The Online Armor product line will now contain two products. The release of AV+ does not change any of the planned enhancements to Online Armor - work is still progressing on the OA firewall, Kernel Mode OA and OA 2.0 as planned.

This is currently in private beta, and I am hoping to take it into a broader beta test on Monday. So, if you'd like to play, head on over to the forums at www.tallemu.com and drop me a PM.

Cheers

Mike

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

mind if i ask what antivirus scanning engine this program uses

3. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Metallicakid,

We've gone with the Kaspsersky engine.

Cheers

Mike

4. metallicakid15

as the sounds of the program and the use the scanning engine i see success in your product

5. metallicakid15

when you release the final product will you sell the av + online armour in one product or seperate?

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

The current Online Armor product will remain as-is (without AV). This caters for the users that either already have an AV, or have a preferred AV.

A second, new product called Online Armor AV+ will be sold with the integrated antivirus.

Both products will benefit from the upcoming Online Armor firewall. This will be available either integrated in OA , or as a standalone firewall.

Cheers

Mike

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

From a personal point, it just gets better. :thumb:

Q: With the Kaspersky engine in the AV, where will the updating be done from? Oz or Russia!

Q: With the updates, can the 'Xtended' databases be incorportated like I can get at present with KAV?

Q: Will anyone running just OA at present, be able to upgrade to the OA+AV component and if so, will there be any need of uninstalling, reinstalling the new, or can it be done through the present OA's updater, once any upgrade fee has been paid?

Q: With the OA Firewall, will that be a 'standalone' app or incorporated into OA itself, or the new OA+AV app?

Q: CAN I PLAY WITH THE NEW OA+AV, and would I have to disable my KAV first. I would really not like to have to have it uninstalled. lol....

Cheers, TAS

8. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Glad you like it - it was an interesting decision to make the new product, but I think we made the right choice.

Actually, from the standard Online Armor automatic updates server which is currently hosted in Texas. (Bandwidth in Oz is ludicrously expensive).

Let me get back to you on that... Not sure right now, there are still some details to work out as we're going very fast with this.

That is the intention; however, this may not make it into the first release as there's still lots of things to do. But in final releases we want to make it real easy to upgrade; the same applies to the firewall.

It will be available initially incorporated into both OA and OA AV+ (bundled free feature). It will also be available as standalone for those who are yet to see the light and start running OA.

The standalone version will be less functional (since we plan on doing some neat things with OA+FW combination) and I am unsure if the standalone version will be free, or for a nominal fee.

It seemed to run fine here - one of the lads did it a few moments ago :)

Always a pleasure !

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

hi mike what version of kav engine is this going to be.

10. Tassie_Devils

Thanks for the clarification Mike... just waiting on Solarpowered's answer as to what version. :)

Thanks, TAS

edit: lol, sorry, just did not see the last paragraph in your Post #6 re Firewall.... you virtually answered that before I asked... DOH!

11. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Right now we are working with version 5.

12. Tassie_Devils

Mike, isn't that the version where the trouble with the ADS Streams were? Or has that been fixed. o_O... or... can you "tinker" with the motor and strip stuff out/put in?

I have stuck with KAV 4.5 PRO myself, and was thinking of upgrading to the new KIS 2006 later on, but maybe I shall wait and see what OA+AV will be like, since I'm still very comfortable with 4.5 version.

Cheers, TAS

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi TAS

I don't believe the ADS mess was a function of the engine, and you could turn it off. They have changed that for 6.0, and done a good job at that. I've tossed the gaunlet to Mike and he has picked it up and I believe is running.

Pete

14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I have to be careful what I disclose about Kaspersky stuff because we're under a non-disclosure agreement. I can tell you that a lot of stuff we're simply building ourselves.

Mike

15. Tassie_Devils

:blink:

;) ;) nudge nudge, say no more. :shifty: :cautious:

16. Tassie_Devils

Thanks Pete :thumb:

TAS

17. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

all you need is great firewall like Look n stop and its a great security suite ( with the extra kav bases of course) :rolleyes:

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hehe... don't read anything into that - I am not aware of any ADS problems in KAV engine, but I will contact them about it.

19. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

We have a great firewall core, working on making that into a great firewall :) A couple of people have tested it already - and it's looking pretty neat.

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mike

There were a few things that conflicted with the 5.0 use of ADS. For Example First Defense-ISR. If you installed KAV 5.0 Istream technology(ADS) it trashed FDISR. You could install KAV 5.0 without Istream and it works fine with FDISR. So the conflict was avoidable.
    In KAV 6.0 they have done away with the ADS and gone to some kind of database technology, and there is no conflict.

Pete

21. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Mike,what size footprints will OA and the AV have?Also Kav with ads caused checkdisk to stick at cheching security desciptors.

22. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Franklin,

OA's AV+ installer is about 15mb. I'll be following up with Kaspersky about any known issues.

Cheers

Mike

23. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Come on guys . Where have you been o_O? The streams you speak of were not AUTOMATICALLY installed . YOU , the user , had to choose whether to install them or not . That was not a KAV problem but a user problem

24. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hé Mike, this sounds very, very interesting to me.:thumb: I have to renew my AV in about two month. Do you think the final version of OA+ will be released by
    then.:)

25. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Antarctica,

Yes, I expect it to be completed by then. Of course, we'll keep adding features and changing things to improve them - but the basic OA AV+ will be released in March.

Cheers

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.