Android virus scanners are easily fooled

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by LoneWolf, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Android-virus-scanners-are-easily-fooled-1856133.html

I really wish there were other alternatives to AV's for Android as there is for Windows.
    I don't use one for Xp but have no other choice for the smart phone.
    It's better then nothing but always looking for that something better.

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

3. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I think the best way to protect devices is to install apps only from trusted sources like google play and disable 'install from unknown sources option'. Also one has to give attention to the permissions required by the app.

4. skokospa

skokospa Registered Member

I think there are many more people who use "free" applications and so have a much better chance to have a virus on your phone

5. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

I'm waiting for an HIPS like thing for android, which I feel will never happen.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Do you really feel that you need a HIPS solution on your phone? :D

7. er34

er34 Guest

People should understand that Android malware is not that common there days as it is being advertised. Viruses on android devices are extremely rare and they are not really viruses but stupid programs one can rarely install. Antivirus products for such devices is only marketing and money - no real threat in my opinion. And guess what - you restart your phone/tablet, delete the "fake" program using the built-in option to uninstall, and voalla - you are ready with no AV needed.

Additionally, the Android OS has some limitations that prevent the AV for Android take (almost) full control (like it is in Windows). And they are useless as you can see. Much bigger threat is the device being stolen and it containg some sensitive information on example memory card. And again the software to find devices based on GPS or remote-wipe is pure marketing only - the one who steals mobile phones or tablets would not be stipid enough to get the card out or wipe the device before usage, or not connect it network.

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I don't even use AV on my cell phone as it's redundant. It's all marketing and money. HIPS in the Android phone? Wow. I never imagined people would want that. :D

Imagine this scenario:

You want to call your friend. You have to go through 9 new messages with Allow or Block before even being able to make the call. Possibly new alert messages when you call as well. For what? Having insecure apps installed from sketchy sources?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  9. d0t

d0t Registered Member

Couldn't agree more :)

10. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Classical HIPS on phones are not practical, but other types like Defensewall or sandboxing/virtualization are more user friendly.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

WHY NOT!!!
    I would install it. :rolleyes:
    I always try to keep the least amount of personal information in the phone but its inevitable, a HIPS would be awesome.

BTW, i wonder why they didnt test Avast!, its one of the most downloaded AV Apps in the Play Store.

12. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I don't know about HIPS, but there are Android firewalls. They should do the trick.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Indeed, but they can still steal your private information. Even with a firewall, some AV's can detect phishing websites.

I personally use the Android AV for mostly its anti-theft and backup features. Plus, it's better safe than sorry.

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Totally agree, which is why I use one on my device as well.

Which one are you running by the way?

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No mention of avast! so i have no idea if it's affected or not.

avast! seems to be the only Android AV that i also checking file system in real-time along with instal-time scan of apps.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Thats the main reason i have an AV App installed. For its anti theft features. :D

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

TrustGo. Has a bunch of interesting features, alike in amount but different in content to Avast. Had Lookout as well, but found it an unnecessary drain of resources.

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Because I don't like to answer questions from my PC that often, let alone a phone. :D

But I guess you mean a HIPS with an inbuilt whitelist to reduce the popups right? :)

19. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Exactly or a HIPS where you could create set of rules for each App on the fly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.