Android Malware Install Popups - Best Practices/Best Defenses

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by TheKid7, Mar 18, 2017.

1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

It seems like about once a month now I will get a redirect (?) on my Android Smartphone. This occurs when I visit a normally clean web page (not necessarily the same web page each time). I get a popup saying something about being infected with instructions to click on something (install?/scan?) to clean. I NEVER click where I am instructed, but I want to know the best way to handle this situation. I usually click on the smartphone location that minimizes (closes?) the Chrome Browser window. Then I quickly open the Chrome Browser, open the bookmarks/favorites to click on another web page. I sometimes have to do this a couple of times since the bad web page may load before I can click on another bookmarks/favorites web page. I was trying to find a way to have a Home Page in Chrome such that every time that I open Chrome it would go to a default page Home Page, but I could not locate such an Option.

Would it be best to go to Chrome in the Apps Management section of the Phone and stop everything? I went there once and deleted the Cache when this type of event happened but that did not help. I did not stop Chrome because it had a Warning about losing data (?) if you stop Chrome. I did not fully understand this Warning.

My Active Protection is Avira for Android Free. I always run a scan with Avira after the incident but Avira never reports anything.

Any Ideas/Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Maybe to delete all Chrome´s browsing history may help.

3. TheKid7

I always delete the Chrome Browser History once I get the browser to open on a different web page.

4. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Not sure, but you could try Malwarebytes and Zemana to see if they find something that Avira has missed.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

It seems to be a known problem, not necessarily related to malware. Google "Android Chrome redirect".

6. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

This is from ads, scripts or code on the page. This usually happens after the page has fully loaded then it'll redirect or open a local app even if you haven't tapped anywhere on page. Since Chrome on Android doesn't support add-ons, use Firefox. But I agree, Chrome is better at browsing on mobile. The ads, popups, redirects, opening of local apps and vibration on mobile are really annoying but I don't think they'll lead to an infection unless you install the apk you get offered to download once in a while. Haha.

7. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Just to clarify those pages are meant to spook and they don't infect. Even if you tap the button, it'll just land you to a page like Facebook or open Play store. Very rarely you'll get offered an apk for obvious reasons.

To close the scare page's prompt, just tap your phone's back key and close the tab. Install Firefox and install an ad block add-on.

8. TheKid7

It happened again this morning. I had to go to Android's Manage Apps and both Clear Data and Clear Cache. I 'think' that last time I only Cleared the Cache.

9. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Does this happen when you are connected to your home or work router via wireless connection or anywhere ?

Here is a forum with same issue. you might want to just skip to last page. Looks like this has been going on for some years.
    https://androidforums.com/threads/android-chrome-redirection-virus-malware-adware.878655/page-5

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. TheKid7

It occurs when I am connected to the web through my cell provider.

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Use an adblocker. Try DNS66. It can be found on F-Droid.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Some active feedback for DNS66, might be useful.
    https://github.com/julian-klode/dns66/issues/89

I use Free ADBlock Browser and it's relatively secure plus speedy too.

Hah ha, using CHROME on Android is a problem waiting to happen.

Also i got hit (early on) with a bug but had Windows-Like Tools to pull the teeth out of the thing.

That's what I get for D/L a pretty meteor shower animated wallpaper :eek:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  13. Trooper

Yeah regardless it is a good app. Does not kill battery like Adguard does.

Check it out if you want. The price is certainly right and the dev is very responsive in my experience with him.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Already did. That's why I shared the link on the issues with it.

As for this camp Free ADBlocker browser serves the purpose well enough.

15. Trooper

To each his own.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I had this same thing happen to me before I took to learning what to do to avoid it happening again.

My first advice would be to suggest that you LEARN as much about your PARTICULAR handset internal settings (Android Version Configs) and make use of those.

Like already mentioned it's best to go with a different browser than Chrome IMO whether DNS66 or otherwise.

What is your version of Android?

Android, depending on what version your handset has installed DOES have some additional settings that MIGHT help to minimize popup ads or at the very least minimize permissions what processes can be easily accessed which causes things to slip through or worse.

17. TheKid7

It has Android 4.3. I have the option of upgrading to Android 5.1, but I would have to do a clean install and have been procrastinating doing the upgrade.

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

One of mine is Android 4.3 Jellybean. The other is Android 5.1 Lollipop.

I rooted both and like both. There's some useful info and fixes if you ever run into difficulty with either one in XDA Developer Forums

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.