Android 2.3 tablet hardening/security question

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Kees1958, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Next month we are going backpacking through India. I have decided to buy a cheap Yarvik TAB211 (Android 2.3, 256 MB RAM, 4 GB Flash, 1Ghz CPU, 7 inch screen).

We are going to use it for:
    - viewing photo's from our digital camera (the sd card fits in)
    - using it as an ereader (less weight to carry, cause my wife allways takes five to six books to read)
    - periodical emailing from hotel's WIFI
    - occasional web browsing for next days travels

My wife uses a smartphone with Android 2.1 and only ant-theft from F-secure on it and normally only allows apps from AppMarket after checking the specifics from the App. Since I am using blackberry for phone and Windows for PC, I am not familiar with Android (unix based) security/hardening.

What I understand is that Android OS is protected (no *nix superuser availability), so risks should be limited, any suggestions on hardening/security precautions on Android 2.3? Also any tips on nice applications are welcome (considering our usage).

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I think you will be fine with your current policy. The most obvious security precautions would be the one taken with regular browsing such as avoiding phising and using HTTPS.

If you are able to use your trusted VPN, it will be well and good. Also make sure the device itself is password protected. I would also take care about the physical security of the device.

Also using something like this would not be a bad idea-http://lifehacker.com/5611003/build-a-find-my-iphone-clone-for-android-

3. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

honestly speaking i have android 2.3 on my sony arc i dont use any security software on it

main security of phone/tablet is physical security and you keep your data backup on net also android are base on linux and root and mostly blocked

just be careful what software you installing if you happy with f-secure you can use it as well on android as well

there this

http://download.cnet.com/mobile/security-software/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=bc

Lookout Mobile Security for Android

i read and heard a lot about this program but to be honest i didnt install it on my android so cannot comment

for me best security = less software + safe playing

edit: please check this as well

https://market.android.com/search?q=security&so=1&c=apps

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.