Andoid Ice Cream Sandwich official now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

You never know it could happen, unofficially of course :p

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why unofficially? I see no reason not to, depending on hardware restrictions.

Either that or use Windows 8's new built in Hyper-V and run Android in a VM on the tablet. :p

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I've seen Ubuntu dual booted with Android. I see no reason why Windows can't be installed though dual booting may be difficult considering the SD card would have to be partitioned. And file system issues.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So will those using the current Android version be able to upgrade to this? Or is this new operating system version only for new phones/tablets?

7. Hungry Man

That's up to the phone manufacturer. There are no new hardware requirements so you sohuld be able to run it on any device that can run say 2.1/2.2. Whether your phone gets support or not is another story.

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Can't wait for the prime!

9. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I dont know if you are serious , but if you are ...

"“Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system that has Second Level Address Translation (SLAT),” explains Hyper-V program manager Mathew John in Microsoft’s Windows 8 blog. “SLAT is a feature present in the current generation of 64-bit processors by Intel & AMD. You’ll also need a 64-bit version of Windows 8, and at least 4GB of RAM.”"

10. elapsed

...and there will be x86_64 tablets, what's your point?

11. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

12. Nightwalker

And do you expect tablets processors to have advanced virtualization technology like SLAT and be fast enough ? Really ? ( except for AMD fusion , maybe some years from now).

For example Intel Core microarchitecture doesnt have SLAT support , only after Nehalem in some processor models.

13. elapsed

Considering they're doing quad core tablets already, yes, I'm sure there will be a few that support it.

14. Nightwalker

They are doing ARM quad cores ( Reduced instruction set computing ) not x86 , and for a good reason ... to be power efficient.

Complex instructions sets like SLAT goes against the philosophy that made ARM architecture so popular in the mobile segment.

Got my point now?

15. elapsed

Yes, and the whole point of also having x86 tablets is what again? That's right, choice. Do I want an energy efficient tablet, or a powerful tablet? Unless you can marvel into the future and tell me you know there won't be a ton of hardware choice for tablets, much like there is for notebooks and desktops, what you're saying is pointless.

16. Nightwalker

We were talking about using a tablet to run Ice Cream Sandwich using Hyper V , right? With the present hardware technology you cant do that with good results and that is the point.

So what you are saying is pointless too and is better to stop the offtopic :)

17. elapsed

What present hardware technology? Last I checked no Windows 8 tablets are out, the minimum hardware requirements hasn't even been sent to OEMs from Microsoft.

We are talking about dual booting Windows 8 with ICS, or running it in a Windows 8 VM. Again, unless you can gaze into the future and bestow this knowledge upon us, please...

18. Nightwalker

Present hardware technology :

Intel x86 processors for tablets = NO SLAT virtualization technology
    ARM processors = NO SLAT virtualization technology
    AMD Fusion = SLAT virtualization ready , but not enough horse power and TDP a little to high to be good in a tablet.

So how you are going to run a Hyper V machine on a tablet ? That is the point and please just answer this.

Minimum hardware requirements for OEMs and Hyper V ready ... I dont see the connection.

"The Hyper-V desktop requirements underscore the fact that not every Windows 7-capable computer will be able to access all the features of Windows 8, particularly given that Hyper-V will also require at least 4GB of RAM."

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  19. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Read here and here
    It looks like the fact of Motorola Mobility now being part of Google Inc. will allow Android-based Motorola devices to get updates before any other vendor...
    Not really, it looks like the minimum will be Tegra 2 processors. Some Gingerbread-based devices won't be able to run it.

20. Hungry Man

Source on that?

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks great, but is there any news on its security?

22. Hungry Man

The biggest issue with their security is the entirely open market. I doubt they'll change that.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do they even check the apps?

24. Hungry Man

Nope. Not in the slightest.

25. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.