And the best distro of 2010 is ...

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Dedoimedo votes his best of the best for 2010. This article reviews the best Linux distribution of the year, focusing on several key parameters like: most streamlined live session, best looks, most user friendly, most anticipated, most forked, best overall experience, and more. Lots of most and one must - you reading this. Many contestants, but the winner can be only one.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/best-distro-2010.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Wow, good comparison. I agree - Mint is the best desktop distro, better than Ubuntu.
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

3. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

"While it is based on Ubuntu, it uses its own set of programs, sticking to goodies like Thunderbird, Pidgin, GIMP, and others, without following the herd mentality of the social integration and application dumbefication. "

What did you mean by Ubuntu having "application dumbefication" and Mint not?

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

At least you gave props to my fave.

5. Mrkvonic

wear, what I meant is that lots of popular programs are excluded from the basic build and replaced with more "good-looking" but not necessarily as functional alternatives. Pidgin, GIMP, to name two.
    Mrk

6. wearetheborg

So if in Ubuntu I enable the medibuntu repos, and install codes, gimp, sunjava6 etc, there is no advantage to going over to Mint?

That is, Mint only saves like 15 mins of customisation over Ubuntu? Or does it have more to offer?

7. Mrkvonic

Try and see for yourself.
    Mrk

8. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

Mint has also Mint-Tools: Mint Menu, Gnome Settings, Backup, Domain Filter...

9. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Mint is absolutely delicious.

It's so polished, it feels so....expensive.

Then I tell the people how much it cost me. That's the fun part. :D

10. wearetheborg

Doesnt Ubuntu also have gnome settings customisation?
    What is Mint Menu?

Is Domain filter for blocking adult sites or are there other uses?

How does backup work? is it encrypted backup? Does it support NTFS?

11. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

12. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Ubuntu, compared to Linux Mint, is lacking far behind when it comes to usability.

I was a Linux Noob, who started with Ubuntu, I found that you need to do to many things in terminal, but I installed Linux Mint and actually I have only been in terminal a couple of times to solve routine stuff, so no hard things. Plus, you can install most .deb packages anyway, which means that all your softwares from Ubuntu will work anyway.

13. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Well, I had sworn to myself to stay with Lucid until it was no longer supported, but after this review decided to check out Mint.
    Wow! It's elegant, responsive, just plain old beautiful!
    And it's now my distro.
    Thanks for the review!

14. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I tried Mint once in Vbox and didn't like it, especially the much applauded menu (immediately switched to the gnome default). Tastes differ.
    Another thing that I find bad is the assignment of stability levels in the Update Manager. A cautious user will perhaps only opt to update/install level 1 and 2 packages. Level 3 is already marked yellow (Achtung ! Danger !). Take this screenshot from their website :-

mint stability.png

What's wrong with update manager which is an important package. Worst of all there will be no future updates (which may include improvements and fixes).
    Can one define levels other than 1,2 as safe ?
    Rather confusing.

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Given the sporadic problems I've had with Ubuntu updates in the past (unable to boot, shutdown hang if wireless isn't disabled first, computer just somehow "dies" when left to sleep for a few hours), I daresay that's a very good thing. The screwups don't happen all that often, but I've learned that kernel updates in Ubuntu are best avoided, among other things.

As for the Update Manager, you don't need that in Mint, since updates are handled by mintUpdate.

16. wearetheborg

Hmmm seems like Ubuntu isnt all that stable; I never had a problem with updates in Debian Lenny/Etch.

17. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

mint 2010 is awesome great review mrk

mint tools are great you can change many things of desktop many things which you get through ubuntu tweak in inbuilt in mint linux inbuilt back..........etc

also i like search and install feature of mint where you can search on menu bar for software just one thing mint linux misses is that alternate install like ubuntu which support full disk encryption 256 bit which is awesome feature :))

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Whatever it is about Mint, some things I just can't put my finger on, it consistently affords me the best user experience of all, including usability, looks, and stability.

19. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Another nice article thanks.
    Following this i have just tried Mint but for some reason it does not detect my wireless mouse and keyboard.
    I have tried wired ones in their place but still no luck.

Never had this problem with any other Distroo_O

20. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Tony, this in a virtual environment?

21. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Running from the live dvd.

22. korben

korben Registered Member

I need to say that I agree, although I cannot say why...exactly...just suits me..in my VM obviously.

23. observence

observence Registered Member

I have installed and played with Tintme, Unity and Macpup 511 (not puppy) and they are great for low resourse machines plus Macpup 511 now has access to Ubuntu repos.
    The only complaint about U is its trying to be all for all and thats not what it started out as. In the beginning it was for low resourse machines ( version 6.06 LTS) and i ran it on 98 for a long time. i have used U since the 6.06 release as my main system but its getting too bloated for me and becoming a drag on my pc (2.4 gig processor and 2 gig ram) so ive installed Tinyme, Unity, and macpup 511 on a test hd and ill pick one i like sooner or later. Right now its a toss up.
    Dont get me wrong ive tried all that were mentioned here and many more but for me any of the 3 i mentioned above are going to be what i stick with in the future.
    Just my 2 cents worth;-).
    O

24. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

MeeGo for netbooks.
    Not sure it completely qualifies as a GNU/Linux distro, but it is listed on distrowatch. Guess it does.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  25. wearetheborg

Also Crunchbang linux (debian based).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.