Anchoring side effects

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by MerleOne, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,

I have a question about anchoring in the following situation : say I have a folder in "C:\Folder_A\", and I am running an active snapshot #1
    I anchor it (C:\Folder_A\) and create a snapshot #2 with #1 as source.

I then decide to unanchor "A" and to anchor another folder "B" instead, "C:\Folder_B\".

When I update snapshot #2 with #1 as source, are files in "C:\Folder_A\" supposed to be copied in snapshot #2 ? And files from "C:\Folder_B\" removed from snapshot #2 ?

Thanks !

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Hmm. I never was good at logic problems. I believe that the anchoring is program related and not snapshot related. What ever is anchored last will be available to all snapshots. A and/or B depending on your choice.

This is just a guess. I still get stumped on "all bulldogs are dogs, are all dogs bulldogs?"

SourMilk out

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can't say exactly, but more then likely at some point you will lose yourself some data. If you want a definite answer image your drive and experiment. I dropped anchoring early on because of the possiblity of confusing myself and losing stuff.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes it is normal.
    The anchored files/folders are excluded from the creation/restoration/update of the snapshots.

Panagiotis

5. MerleOne

Thanks. I got burned once but still need anchoring. The trick is to be very careful because anchoring causes no loss of data, but unanchoring has some side effects. Next time I can experiment, I will and report here.

6. MerleOne

A implies B is not the same as B implies A, but is logically equivalent as
    (Not B) implies (Not A).
    Or A=>B is equivalent to (Not A or B) [if A is not True, Not A is True, so Not A or B also, and if A is true, then B is also true].

Hope this will clear this up ? Maybe not...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.