An Introduction To Freeware Encryption Tools

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luv2bsecure, Sep 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Hi Brian!

As for File2File, last I knew it had what I consider to be a fatal flaw. It had no way to turn off the deletion of the original file. There are many times when one might want to keep the original file (on an encrypted drive for instance) and unless you remember to make a copy, you have to decrypt, make a copy, a re-encrypt. Too much hassle and, in my opinion, a mistake to not allow the user the option there.

John
    Luv2bSecure

2. brian gill

brian gill Guest

Hi John!
    Good point re: File2File, and I also wondered how thoro the deletion of the original file is-any idea? Mind you,with my ageing brain,maybe it`s better that I can`t turn the deletion facility off,so I can`t forget to do it!

3. Jonas

Jonas Registered Member

Just to update, i tried the handybits encryption mentioned in the first post by luv2besecure and found it to be a wonderful program with one Major flaw. It containes Spyware! The spyware writes to the registry! Both AdAware Adwatch and SpyBot pick up the spyware however, once deleted or modified the software no longer runs. The spyware writes to the reg to load at startup, which i found very disturbing. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the worth of this software now that it contains spyware.

Peace,
    jonas

Attached Files:

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I'm lost on why this is considered spyware. Spybot's page on it says it runs an auto-updater service and that's it. Rude, but it's hardly spyware if that's all it does. I can't imagine why it's on a spyware removal list.
    I just recommended it to someone who needs to keep people out of certain folders on her computer. Normally I'd tell someone to get PGP, but she isn't real technical minded and this thing is extremely easy to use.

EDIT: I just ran AAW with today's new reffile and it didn't detect it. Spybot did.

5. Jonas

Jonas Registered Member

Thanks Mike, i just did a check and apparently you can disable the updater but i found it interesting that if you manually disabled it the software would cease to function, seems awful drastic for just turning off an "auto-updater." However, your point is well taken and i did find on their webpage where one could dis-able the updater via a d/l program from Handybits. However, there is still a part of me that is suspecious.

Jonas

http://www.handybits.com/update_service.asp

Attached Files:

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I am also suspecious over this program. Maybe some will give light on this.

7. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

I'm starting to wonder if they added it because of user complaints. This thing is unbelievably annoying.

I have startup monitor running which blocks anything trying to write a startup entry. About 1 out of every 8 times that I right-click something, it pops up a prompt saying that this updater is trying to make a startup entry.

This doesn't make it spyware, but it sure as hell doesn't get my recommendation. I'm gonna tell my friend to remove it and try something else.

The uninstaller doesn't clean up very well either.

8. notageek

Yes I seen how it didn't uninstall well on my old system. :)

9. notageek

Someone please shot a free folder encryption program for win xp my way. I tried to download Maxcrpyt and I got an error saying the file wasn't the right size when I tried to open it and install it.

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

If you're simply trying to keep children and/or inquisitive spouses from tripping over something you don't want messed with, try PowerCrypt2000 : http://www.ovsoft.it/powercry_eng.htm .

If you try it,

don't let it remember the password for you

don't let it delete the file after encryption (let Eraser do that)

DON'T bet your life that the CIA/NSA can't crack it. :) Pete

11. notageek

Oh no you mean the CIA/NSA could crack it? ;) thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

12. Petlydecker

Petlydecker Registered Member

I just read all the threads in this posting about encryption. I decided to download and try Abi- Coder 3.5.9.1 The program uses 168 bit Triple 3DES algorithm, and 448 Bit Blowfish encryption, as you know. My question is about how easy that would be to crack with a 16 character password? I am not familiar with this type of encryption. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

13. Plavi

Plavi Registered Member

Hi all,

Has anyone tried InvisibleSecrets? (shareware). Any idea on the integrity of the encryption?. They use the most common industrial public algorithms but activate the algorithm libraries through their own custom "activation keys method". Their english in the help files is weak and gives little as to methodological approach. A web search on the tool only reveils some positive comments by users on security/encryption web resourse sites (judging from the comments the users were not mathematically oriented rather interface obsessed)

cheers in advance

P

14. TinyMember

TinyMember Registered Member

This sounds like what I've got KPKFile v6.2
    from http://www.geocities.com/john52612000 I've had it for a while and the men in black havnt come knockn.
    Can anyone rate it ? Its done alright by me.
    I also have Scramdisk 3 but havnt got through the extensive help files yet !

Now all I need is some secrets can anyone help?

15. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, I wanted to get a encryption program, but I dont want a prog I have to right away disable a feature on, so I was gonne download HidePro (http://www.tihy.ro/eng/index.html) but the link is dead .... so that didnt work, so I went to check out PGPfreeware (http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html) and its for mail encryption only isnt it? :doubt: ... So Now I wanna know if anyone has used Cryptext? (http://www.pcug.org.au/~njpayne/download.html)

16. notageek

PGP free isn't just for emails. I used PGP 8 for a few months but I need something with a smaller foot print so I went to ABI coder again and decided to give it another try. It's not that bad on my XP box.

17. What exactly do people use encryption for? I'm new with things like this and wonder why one would use this unless he/she is trying to hide something that is questionable.

I'm not trying to be smart or judgemental with anyone..........just wondering about the encryption.

Thanks.

James

18. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Many reasons... For people in Business who need to use the Internet to send company confidential materials to business associates, clients or the like, encrypting the documents or the email messages is highly valuable because there are many ways for such transmissions to be intercepted as they move across the Internet.

Home users may have important personal documents they don't want anyone else to see, whether they are sending them elsewhere or just storing them on their PC.

Use of encryption can be both for security and privacy reasons, but it all depends upon the importance of the data/files, the risks of others getting a hold of them, and the resulting fallout if they do, as well as the time and effort you wish to take in order to keep these things secret.

Do all home users need encryption? Personally, I don't think so but even this is just an opinion. Some people think everyone should use encryption.

19. JayK

JayK Poster

I'm not really big on this whole encryption thing, but I use it sparingly for some personal stuff (diary, personal email/letters etc), that I would not like someone else to accidently stumble upon.

20. tepi

tepi Registered Member

After testing several encryption programs, I finally settled on one which works quite well for me, though my needs are modest. It's called CIPHERBOX and can be downloaded at http://www.globware.com/

21. kaytee_S

kaytee_S Registered Member

http://axcrypt.sourceforge.net/ this is afreeware program that encrpts docs files pics etc .i've spent 5 mins deciding if i should post this having only speed read your posts,when in that time i could have read through properly,sorry it WILL NOT happen again i just wonted to help ,sorry.

22. 666

666 Guest

to protect my passwords/credit card numbers/email/messenger logs etc. if anyone ever steals my laptop

23. controler

controler Guest

I am not so sure encryption is such a good thing anymore.
    From what I have heard Magic Lantern is geared specialy for PGP
    It steals your keys so anything you have encrypted with PGP can now be decrypted by anyone using Magic Lantern or a hacked spinoff.

controler

24. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I have used AX Crypt in the past.Was good.before i had Handybits but although in the programme you can disable auto updates,as was said before,it insists in updating.

AXCrypt did the same job fine.

25. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Guest

I use encryption mainly to make sure my senstive*cough* files arent accidently opened/looked at my kids :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.