An Idea (re: last 10 posts display)

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by LockBox, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I really like the way that the board software updates "The 10 last posts on the forum" and "The 10 last posts without ten-forward." This is great.

However, I have an idea for a third filter ----
    "The last 10 posts w/out ten-forward and independent support forums."

This would just show the last ten posts of Wilders native forums, less the off-topic Ten Forward and the support forums from Acronis, Ghost, DiamondCS, NOD32, LooknStop, etc. Sometimes those support forums will have so much back and forth in a short period of time that they dominate the "last ten posts" list. Especially Monday - Friday. Just a thought. Would something like that be possible?

Keep up the good work!

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re: An Idea

Actually, I was thinking of making it so members can choose the last 10 posts view they want in the User CP and then only display that one on the index page for them. I was never quite satisified with how I added the second section in there. I'll think about it some more and see if there is something that can be done.

3. LockBox

That's a great idea, too! Thanks, LWM!
    Gerard

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That would be great!

5. LowWaterMark

Version 1 of this modification is now in place.

The forum index page will now show only one section of "last 10 posts" in the "What's Going On?" section at the bottom of that page.

The default view (for guests and for members that do not choose an option) will be to display the actual last 10 posts made on the forum. Other options can be set in the User CP > Edit Options screen. The title of the last 10 posts section will reflect the particular view you are seeing for the last 10 posts. The bulletin board image on the left side of the last 10 post display is a link to the bottom of the edit options page.

6. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Neat new setup there LWM ! :thumb:

Sooo, curious to know what version 2 will be like. :p

7. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Sorry to say this, and i certainly do not wish anyone to be offended, but i think that the new layout is a step back. I think you should seriously consider losing the ten forward entries in the main page display panel. People who wish to peruse that particular forum, can very easily see what's going on and recent entries by directly visiting it.

As all the other forums threads and posts are not contained under just one heading as 10/4 is, the new setup makes it very much more difficult to follow events, as they are very quickly and continually getting pushed off the list by all the 10/4 posts and threads.

A good compromise alternative would be two displays similar to before, but one just for 10/4 and the other without. This way everybody will be happy !

Thanks for your consideration.

Stevieo

8. LowWaterMark

Look again at the bottom of User CP > Edit Options page. With the new selection options, members can choose not to see ten-forward posts if that is what they wish. That was the very point of creating these different viewing options, so that people not interesting in certain sections could suppress those sections, especially if they are concerned that the activity in those sections obscures their view of the posts they are intertested in.

If you think the ten-forward volume is continually pushing other sections off the list of last 10 posts, then choose one of the options that suppresses ten-forward postings. (The one checked in this image is probably what you are looking for. No ten-forward posts will display in the last 10 posts section if you select that option. Or you can use the non-product based view that also suppresses ten-forward.)

Attached Files:

9. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Thanks for your reply LowWaterMark. I appreciate that members logged in can adjust their CP preferences. But i was thinking more of the view as seen by everyone when coming to this site, members and non members. Non members, who obviously are not logged in, will see all posts on the main page including all those from 10/4.

Even lots of members don't always log in daily, or maybe only after spending some time viewing until they find something to respond to etc. So everyone who is not logged in will be subject to all the 10/4 posts rapidly shunting the others out of view ! Hence my earlier suggestions.

StevieO

10. LowWaterMark

Ah, that makes more sense. As your original post did not say you were talking about the guest view, it sounded like you didn't understand that suppressing ten-forward posts was already available in the option list. Now it's more clear what you are talking about. ;)

As for going back to two separate sections, that we won't be doing. As I mentioned above, I was never happy with how that was implemented. There were several issues with having it setup that way. For one thing, in order to show two sections of "last 10 posts" we needed to do twice the processing for every index page displayed, and that was not efficient from a server perspective. Also, there was an overlap in how the collapse function worked between the two sections that I was never able to work out. Some people complained that the cookie values would randomly get reset, and a collapsed section wouldn't stay closed for them.

So, if I look at what remains to what you're asking, (if we can't go back to two sections), it'd be better phrased, "Can we change the default view for guests so that ten-forward posts don't show for them, obscuring the more serious forum section posts?"

That idea I like and agree with. I've just changed the default view for guests to be "The last 10 posts without ten-forward". That way, casual passers-by and members not logged in will be more likely to see technical posts listed in that display now. As you said, guests interested in ten-forward posts can easily click into that section to see what's going on, and since guests can't choose a custom option for that display, the non-ten-forward view is a better default for them. Of course, members can still pick any view they want.

11. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Hi and thanks for the idea.

However I have a small feature request. If you really want to make us choose one and only one display at the bottom of the page, then use grouped ratio button rather than checkboxes. Chexboxes somehow imply that you have multiple choices as you can check more than one.

Or you can let us choose multiple filter... ( unless of course all those filter would result in too much CPU for the server )

I beleive a dropdown control in the what's going on to easily let us switch between filter would be good.
    Or if you really want to make our life hard you could at least let us use something like
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?filterset=4

12. LowWaterMark

Hint to Nat above, that's why I called it "Version 1".

In order to make the development easier, I used the option features available in vBulletin rather than writing my own. The radio button option they provide does not allow control on formatting, and was placing the options side by side, wrapping where it was forced to by screen width. It looked terrible. While checkboxs do imply multiple selections are possible, a member only need try to select more than one item once and they'll see it won't allow it. ;)

I'm going to try a selection menu instead. While the vBulletin selection menu also allows multiple selections to be made, it is not quite as obvious since as you click on one, it highlights that option and unhighlights the previously selected one.

Yes, it'd be too much processing on the index page.

Someone actually suggested a dropdown menu like the skin selector already. :D Unfortunately, again sticking with available vBulletin interface tools and the data fields available in the index module itself, the only way to implement that would be "in session", either a URL qualifier like you mentioned, another type of session variable, or a cookie value - none of which could update the users profile permanently, and all of which would be subject to other issues...

If passed as a part of the URL, then we'd have people copy and pasting those extra parts into URLs link between posts, and others would suddenly find they've picked up someone else's last 10 posts view after following a link. Or, if session or cookie values, they'd be subject to the loss/reset conditions that the collapse field experienced for some people.

Let's try the menu selection now and see how that works.

Attached Files:

13. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I had an idea too, though it's probably not possible.

It would be great if we, the members, could specify which forums would show up in the "new posts". That is how I get my news, hit the "new posts" button and see what comes up.

The problem is, I don't use Acronis products, LnS or DiamondCS etc.., so I go to their forum, click the "Mark forum read" so it won't show up, but as soon as a new post is sent to that forum, it comes up again.

There are times when I click on the "new posts" link and I get an entire page of people having problems with Acronis TI or something of the like. So, to me, it's annoying. I feel I contribute a little bit of knowlege about the products I know and use, so I want to get the the posts about stuff I know without having to browse through 1 of 20 pages with new posts.

This Also doesn't look so great to potential members. If the first thing you see when you visit Wilders for the first time is a page full of problems people are having with a particular software, it gives you a jaded view of the software.

It would be a great thing if you could specify in the CP which forums to display. I know you can click the Shrink Arrow in the main index and this collapses the forums for ease of browsing, but as stated, the "new posts" still show all these.

Anyway, that's just one mans opinion :)

14. LowWaterMark

Well, the Search function is very complicated in vBulletin, and it's difficult to do too much customization with it, but I'll add that idea to the list. I kind of like the idea, too, as it would let people really customize what they see here, but it might be fairly complicated in terms of the screens needed, and the fields to be stored, on a per user basis. But, I'll think about it.

The closest thing to what you what, and it's not all that close, is the RSS feed that allows you to pass a list of forum sections to include in your selection set. Example, a feed of active threads from NOD32 section only. Pretty limited, but it's a start.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/external.php?type=rss2&forumids=16,17,68

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks Mike,
    I appreciate the feeback. I've been using it as is for quite awhile, I can live with it a little longer if needed. I've never done an RSS feeds and don't really even know what it is. No need to explain, I'll look it.

Thanks again

16. LockBox

Hi LWM,

Sorry I started a bigger project than you probably expected. I am thrilled with what you've done! The options are excellent and I am now able to take all the product support forums out of my list view. Good job and you are fast!

T H A N K _ Y O U !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.