An idea for FD and imaging

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Wanted to run this idea by some of you experts. As some of you are aware I am close to purchasing ShadowProtect. But I already have Acronis TruImage 9 on my system. I am going to take your advice and remove ATI from my system before installing SP. But I hated to remove another "layer", so today I had an idea pop into my head.

Does this sound like this would work, that is, cause no conflicts between programs? Before I remove ATI, use ATI to make one final image and recovery disk, and then update one of my snapshots and keep it untouched so that it would always have ATI on it, but not the soon to be installed SP.

Then uninstall ATI and install SP. If I ever run into problems that FirstDefense cannot save me from and I need to restore an image, and if by chance SP does not work, I could boot into the ATI snapshot or use the ATI recovery disk. After I restore the ATI image, I could use one of my Archived Snapshots to restore my system with SP and no ATI. Convoluted, I admit, but does it sound feasible?

Acadia

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, a bit convoluted, but the basic isn't a bad idea. Assuming your ATI Rescue CD works, why bother keeping ATI installed at all. I still have some old Acronis images, as well as a few IFW/IFD images. If I need them I just use my BartPE CD which has IFW, Acronis True Image and Drive Snapshot on it. I just haven't needed them as there have been no failures with Shadowprotect.

Pete

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Ahhh, now there is an even better idea, thanks Peter.

Acadia

4. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Would ATI not need to be installed for the rescue disk to work properly?

Howard

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The short answer is no. When you work from the recovery CD, it is standalone. Your main hard drive is just an inert mass of platters, and bits and bytes. This is why some prefer imaging from the CD, nothing running on the drive being imaged. Generally that is the way I do it.

Pete

6. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Thanks Peter for that:)

No question about it if I do buy Shadow Protect, I will uninstall ATI, keep the rescue disk, + my backup image to my external hard drive, then only use the rescue disk only in the most unlikely event that neither FD-ISR or SP get my computer up and running...

Howard

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.