An excellent driver updater - ma-config.com

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jaspion, Dec 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaspion

Jaspion Registered Member

A useful recommendation I've found on this site is ma-config.com. As Forum member berryracer puts it:

I've tried it and can second that opinion. Among so many bad programs in this category, ma-config stands out as a truly working option.

Another possibility is suggested by Forum member roger_m: a Chinese program called Driver Genius which is in Chinese language, but which roger_m kindly explains in detail how to use here.

The thread that originated these suggestions can be found here.

2. woomera

woomera Registered Member

thanks for sharing, giving it a try right now.

3. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Very true, I have tried 10s of driver update programs, even paid ones, they always tend to find stuff that is not relevant to my laptop at all and downloads from bogus places.

But My-Config ALWAYS has and still finds drivers that are relevant to my laptop and from the original manufacturer (download links that is)

best of all, it is free, no toolbars, no ads!

a must have for any PC I must say

4. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

yes i use it and is very effective.
    But go to about:plugins in your brower (chrome in my case) and disable ma-config plugin
    Disabling it dont block ma job

5. Jaspion

Good call. Thanks.

6. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

This is the 1st driver updater program that I have EVER used that has NOT crashed my system after installing the updates.

I did notice that Windows Update found 2 updates immediately after I updated several drivers - but the versions that Window found are much older than the versions that 'Ma-Config' found.

Is this common with Windows Update and is it BETTER to use their version or the latest version found by Ma-Configo_O

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I tested it today on an old notebook and the results weren't good. It detected an update for Atheros Wireless (looks like it is mixing Atheros with Qualcomm Atheros) that wasn't needed and caused a little BSOD after installed. Almost a year since I last saw one of those.

8. Jaspion

One of the advantages of this program is that it doesn't automatically download and install the drivers it finds. By forcing the user to manually go through this process, you have the opportunity to check the driver and verify that it is really from the manufacturer of the device and really intended for that device. Your case illustrates the relevance of my initial thread: even the best programs can do harm sometimes, so you have to be careful.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Are you sure the updates weren't there before? Or did you check for updates again. In any case it is best to stick with the newer versions.

10. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Probably the best driver updating service. Clean, no need for crap like registrations and adware, thanks so much for sharing!

11. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Yes I'm positive the updates were not there prior. Windows Updates shows driver dates from 2010 while Ma-Config shows dates from 2012. Weird but I've heard that Windows doesn't always have the most up-to-date versions of certain drivers.

I have not had any issues installing those updated 2 drivers that Ma-Config recommended but I just wanted to make sure with the community here and play it safe. In the meantime, I have hidden those 2 updates in WU,

12. berryracer

Always leave the drivers found in Windows update as a last resort when you cannot find a particular driver.

Example, as soon as I install Windows, it detects the Management Engine Interface as one of the updates. I quickly hide it and download the latest version from Intel

13. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I appreciate this post and thread. I feel more comfortable having a driver source that is more reliable. However, i have always thought it is best not to mess with your drivers unless you have a problem. If everything is running ok, just "don't mess with it". Kind of like registry cleaning...am I wrongo_O?

14. Jaspion

That may be the safest approach.

However, like programs have bug fixes and improvements, and added compliances to new technologies, so do drivers. If you can determine what changes were made in this new driver, and see if they are relevant to your setup, that could help you decide.

15. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I tested this, and the only problem I found was a link to a Texas Instruments USB controller no longer existed. The driver version I have is 1.12.4, and ma-config said 1.12.25 was available, but the page couldn't be found.

I tried another driver update program, which told me v1.12.16 was available!

16. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Thanks for sharing about My-Config, Jaspion. And those who are posting feedback about it.

Works good and I like the 64bit support besides.

The 'Intel Chipset Device Software v9.3.0.1026 WHQL' package I already installed, but found it odd nothing was being displayed and it quickly came to the installation complete screen. Usually a sign that the package is too new and not supported for the computer. And when using My-Config today for the first time, it showed that this package was still not installed. So I've downloaded the package that My-Config offers for download, and still faced with the same anomaly.

17. berryracer

To ensure proper installation of the Intel Chipset Drivers incase you were not installing them for the first time after a format, do the following:

1) you need to place the Intel Chipset Drivers in a folder and place that in the root of C:\

Sometimes it is a folder with many files, sometimes it is a single *.exe but whichever one it was, you have to launch the setup with the below command switches.

I usually make a folder named chip and place it in C:\

2) Press the START MENU button > All Programs > Accessories > then right click on Command Prompt and choose Run As Administrator

3) In the Command Prompt, type:

- cd\ to back to the ROOT of c:
    - cd chip to go into the folder Chip
    - setup.exe -overall -overide then hit ENTER

-overall ensures to install all the drivers
    -overide overides any currently installed driver

Now the drivers will be installed completely because if you don't follow this method, then as soon as you run the setup regularly and hit next, you will notice that the installation completed and nothing happened.

NOTE: You MUST re-install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers after you install the Intel Chipset Drivers because the Intel Chipset Drivers usually install their own AHCI Controller so you have to reinstall the IRST Drivers again as they are better.

Attached Files:

18. Jaspion

You're welcome. Thank berryracer too for pointing out this program to me initially.

19. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Great piece of advice berryracer :thumb: :thumb:

For people who may not want to fiddle with the command prompt, here's an alternative: Extract all files in a folder like berry said, and then create a shortcut for setup.exe. Place the shortcut wherever you want, you can leave it within the extraction folder if you want to. Right click the freshly created shortcut and under the "Shortcut" tab add the -OVERALL and -OVERIDE switches at the end of the "Target" field. Make sure to leave a space before each switch. So, the end of that field would look lke this:

Setup.exe" -OVERALL -OVERIDE

Before you apply the changes make sure to also go to the "Compatibility" tab and tick the "Privilege Level" option in order for setup to run with admin privileges (it's the last option at the bottom of that tab). Apply it, OK it, run it. Copy it to a disk and give it to your friends. If this is their only Christmas present from you they'll surely hate you, but at least their Intel drivers will update OK. :D

20. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion berry. Normally upgrading the Intel Chipset Drivers isn't a problem.

Doing what you suggested doesn't just mess with the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology install but also Intel(R) Management Engine Interface install. And needing to force an upgrade of the Intel Chipset drivers, likely cause problems trying to install the other packages afterwards.

21. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Forgive my ignorance here please,but is it absolutely vital to update the drivers or can i leave it until windows suggests an update.?
    Thanks.

22. berryracer

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Windows Driver updates are ancient compares to manufacturer drivers.

you don't know what performance enhancements / bug fixes you're missing :rolleyes:

23. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

When I tell my-config to 'get drivers' it offers them as individual downloads. Where's this 'download all & install' button that was mentioned aforetime?

24. berryracer

Such a button DOES not exist.

You download the drivers manually from the manufacturer, uninstall your old drivers, reboot, install new ones, reboot

25. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi berry,
    Just installed the ma -config software.Ive downloaded a zip file with a driver update inside but windows says access is denied.
    Do you need to be running in a administrator account to extract and install.o_O
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.