An AMON security tab setting Q

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by HandsOff, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi-

Does anyone know what effect checking the box allow manual stopping has, and why it is not checked by default.

I can only guess that the option is there because there are activities that are hard to perform with AMON active, and someone might forget to temporarily disable it befor hand. But, I'm not sure, and I wonder what the disadvantages of checking the box would be.

-HandsOff

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

It's to prevent unloading the AMON module.
    If you wanna disable it for a sec or two, just hit the disable button/line.

3. HandsOff

I guess I still don't get it...

as you point out you can disable amon even without having the box checked...so what does checking the box do? Unless it is hard to turn amon off during a flurry of activity, like maybe converting a large batch of files or something...but then...wouldn't it be better to check the box then? So you would have that option?

-HandsOff

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Each module has a help file. Loads of info in there. From the help file:

5. HandsOff

Okay, I think I get it, and the color symbology is a good one to know, in order to recognize an undesireable condition.

I know you didn't say this, but I've seen programs where if you chose unload the realtime protection instead of disable, the effect was that when you restarted it was still disabled. You had to go back to the options settings and change it, or it assumed you meant, unload it for good!

- Handsoff

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Amon is the heart of NOD32. Speaking for myself,I wouldn't want it disabled for any reason.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

If you really wanna disable AMON (I do it sometimes myself when moving extracters around) just click this.
    No need to unload it.

Attached Files:

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Agreed :D

9. HandsOff

Which brings up a question that just doesn't seem to have a right answer to me...I hear people all the time say that you should disable your antivirus when you install programs. You see all kinds of downloads that say to disable your firewall (including Microsoft update downloads).

The problem is...those seem like just the kind of events which you would be most likely to introduce malware.

There is a third catagory, that seems to be becoming an issue and that is doing backups. My typical behavior is to leave everything running and hope for the best. Sometimes a file will not download unless the firewall is off. What is one to do?

Plus...what condition would necessitate turning off your firewall for a download? Everyone knows the threats are out there...any download can be made safe...why would someone put you in that position?

-HandsOff

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Seems like a true statement.
    I turn neither NOD or my firewall off for any reason, including backups. So far, so good.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I'll second this, have NEVER turned of NOD32 to install a single thing, it remains on at ALL times, same with my firewall.

Cheers :D

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What ? This is stupid and moreover - wrong . This was valid for the time of 10 years ago . Nowadays you don't need to turn off your antivirus since it provides you with real-time protection and Prevention is always better than cure
    if you disable AV's real-time and you install trojan then it would be much difficult to remove it rather than leaving the real-time on

Moreover , NOD32 is the fastest anti-threat software in the world and it will never slow down the process . Note that NOD32 is different from Kaspersky , Panda and Norton , NOD32 is not intrusive and it is excellent. The same is valid for your firewall as well .

I stay behind the opinions of Blackspear and Brian N :thumb:

[MOVE]NOD32[/MOVE]

13. HandsOff

Well it seems like there is pretty strong agreement here that AMON should be on during installs.

The one that is a little harder is backups. Ghost Regdefend was the first real troublemaker, but NOD32, and especially Kerio, seem to cause a lot of errors. On the other hand, I doubt they are serious. usually just internal logs for the apps or something like that. I don't really like seeing errors on the logs, but that probably will not effect anything. Anyone ever notice this? (obviously you need to be using a backup program that compares and validates the backups).

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.